Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: young witch with courtyard as the bane  (Read 1926 times)

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: young witch with courtyard as the bane
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:22:34 pm »

why did I lose?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:26:04 pm »

why did I lose?

You had 32 points and your opponent 39.

Seriously, why shoudn't you? Courtyard is not that bad of a card, Courtyard-BigMoney is one of the strongest BigMoney variants. Having it as a bane ... the probability the 2 Courtyards collide is 0, so you can always play both, have them in two hands, seems like a strong bane.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:27:02 pm »

Why shouldn't you lose? He trashes his deck down a bit, then picks up courtyards, which are VERY good, AND the bane... I probably just go courtyard/big money here. Instead of just saying 'why did I lose', it's much more helpful if you explain what your thought process was, why you thought your strategy was good, and why you think your opponent's strategy is less good.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 04:31:51 pm »

Courtyard is the sickest bane. If you have 2-3, you can keep putting them on top of your deck to play and block Curses every turn. And they let you buy Gold and Provinces really fast in Courtyard BM. It would be surprising if a Courtyard player were took take more than 2 Curses before getting 5 Provinces.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:34:19 pm »

Courtyard is the sickest bane. If you have 2-3, you can keep putting them on top of your deck to play and block Curses every turn. And they let you buy Gold and Provinces really fast in Courtyard BM. It would be surprising if a Courtyard player were took take more than 2 Curses before getting 5 Provinces.
Scheme says hi.
Also, I think you're overselling CY's abilities here. You probably want three if getting YW attacked, but I doubt I can be THAT effective. OTOH, they are slowing themselves down a little, and they can't attack you THAT often.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:57:02 pm »

Your opponent did well because he trashed down his deck before you could play your witch. This meant his few bane cards were always likely to be in hand or put on top of the deck by a courtyard. He could then draw good treasures with the courtyards and buy gold then provinces.

You could have done a things differently yourself though. Your courtyard purchase on turn 3 for five coins seems like poor value. By this stage your opponent isn't likely to add a young witch as another terminal to the deck.

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:21:45 pm »

thanks for all the feedback. I bought the courtyard on turn 3 not because I though he would get young witch, but because courtyard is a good card to have when going big money, which was basically what I was doing. But I guess the consensus is given the bane, Young witch was not a good buy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.897 seconds with 20 queries.