Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tower: Green/White based on playing it a lot  (Read 3616 times)

DIonized

• Swindler
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Tower: Green/White based on playing it a lot
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:01:00 am »
+3

Tower $4 Action-Victory

Put a token on your Tower mat.

-----

Worth 1 VP for every 3 tokens on your Tower mat (round down).

I was trying to think of a green card that is better to get earlier in the game.  I'm not sure about the cost nor on the number of tokens per VP.  I'm also afraid of 5-card deck with King's Court shenanigans; KC-KC-Tower-Tower-Tower gains 9 VP/turn, but so does Monument.  I do like the theme of building a tower, maybe the tokens could be thirds of circles that would stack like Lego.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Tower: Green/White based on playing it a lot
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:58:21 am »

I really like this idea! I have no idea how strong it would be as currently written, but one drawback compared to Monument is that it's not helping you at all besides to get more victory points, where Monument gives you +$2. But, that's not to say this is underpowered, especially when you get multiple of them in a deck. But, after some playtesting you might find it deserves +$2 or +2 Cards or +1 Action, something to give it a bit of a boost. Either way, the core concept seems both solid and creative!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:27:17 am »

If you haven't already read rinkworks's Fan Card Creation Guide, I highly recommend it.

The issue with this card is that it allows for unlimited VP acquisition and creates a disincentive to end the game. You're better off buying as many Towers as you can and just continually playing them. Monument is the only other card that does this, but it gives you coins to spend, making it likely that you'll at least buy a card, bringing the game closer to an ending. It also doesn't have the potential to rack up points quite as quickly as Tower.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:46 am »

It compares very directly to Monument if you have 3 of them in your deck.  I think it is interesting, but I'm not sure the upside of being able to buy more than 3 justifies removing the entire +$2 benefit.  I'm not sure it would be overpowered to leave the +$2 that Monument has, but it could be knocked down to +$1, or add some other bonus onto the card that helps to mitigate the "no incentive to end the game question.

I don't think there is a major concern with that issue anyway.  Again, it compares very closely to Monument, and if the players split the pile, they are only getting 1.33VP per play.  Even if one player gets them all (in 2p) they only gain 2.66VP per turn (without villages) which is weaker than buying a Duchy, so I think Provinces will compete pretty well.  I think this is actually a pretty weak card if it is left without any other bonus.  It might give some incentive to not end the game, but if you are playing to win, you are really going to need to go after the Provinces too.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:15:29 pm »

Interesting idea. At first I thought that it'd be much worse than Monument, but on second thought I think it's strong and similar to Gardens. It would be pretty strong to rush them directly, especially by Ironworks since it makes Ironworks into a cantrip. If you have 8 of these in your deck, you score almost 3VP per turn you've played a Tower, which is definitely enough to beat something like Smithy+BM. In an interesting twist that Gardens doesn't have, it also interacts well with Villages: once you're done Ironworksing the Towers, start picking up Villages.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:00:05 pm »

"also afraid of 5-card deck with King's Court shenanigans; KC-KC-Tower-Tower-Tower "

You'd only be able to mange 4 cards though, KC-KC-Tower-Tower-(Chapel/NV)

So at max with this combo you'll only be getting 4 points a turn, i could live with that.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 01:46:28 pm »
+2

"also afraid of 5-card deck with King's Court shenanigans; KC-KC-Tower-Tower-Tower "

Island; opponent's Bishop.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:55:22 pm »

Island; opponent's Bishop.

Doh! I ALWAYS forget Island!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:59:42 pm »

Worth a look are Donald X.'s comments about Duke in the secret history post:
This card started its life in another set as a victory card worth one point per copy of it you had. That just varied way too much. You have to charge enough for it to be fair when you get a lot of them, and then it's horrible when you don't. The fix was to have it count another card. The other card had to be one that was always out, and Duchy was the obvious choice.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:11:15 pm »

I find it unlikely that this card would be nearly as good as monument imo.
A man on a mission.

aestrivex

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
    • socionics workshop
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 06:20:33 pm »
+1

I think a better version of this card would limit the number of tower tokens

Tower
cost $4
action / victory

+2 cards
gain a tower token from the tower token pool and put it on your tower mat
--
at the end of the game, worth 1 VP per 3 tokens on your tower mat.
--
setup: at the start of the game, place 15 tower tokens in the tower token pool.

limiting the total number of tower tokens available makes this sort of like another pile of victory cards.  this also means you cannot just play towers and gain tokens indefinitely as per rinkworks -- eventually they will run out and you have to find another way to end the game. this is strategically interesting if you can viably build an engine to get all the tower tokens very quickly, or if you can integrate it as part of an engine, but in a spread with insufficient engine components towers alone lose soundly to BM (if this isnt true, playtest, and adjust the number of tower tokens available and how many VPs each one is worth).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.84 seconds with 20 queries.