Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: PLEASE READ: Deadline is Sunday 20 May at 11:59 PDT  (Read 9730 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
PLEASE READ: Deadline is Sunday 20 May at 11:59 PDT
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »

IF YOU STILL HAVE MATCHES TO PLAY, READ THIS

Sun 20 May 11:59 PDT equivalent to:

Mon 21 May 02:59 EDT
Mon 21 May 06:59 GMT

At this time, everyone who has not already been scratched has played 5 or more rounds, so I won't treat anyone as dropped at this point.  However, there are still groups in which unplayed matches could affect the outcome of the pool.  If you are unable to set up a time with your opponent(s), you must send me a PM or post in this thread by Sunday evening, though preferably well before.

I'm trying to figure out a "fair" way to decide the outcome of unplayed matches, which matter in the Central USA, Eastern America, and Central Europe groups.  Suggestions are welcome.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE READ: Deadline is Sunday 20 May at 11:59 PDT
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »

I've PMed Mangsky a few days ago about setting up my match with Angboy, no reply yet. It seems he doens't check the forum very often.

BJ Penn

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »

I missed our first agreed upon time, and now I can't get ebeliminator to respond to my messages. I'll try again.

Tonks77

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:27:51 am »

I PMed JanErik twice to find a date for our Week-7-Match, but did not get any response.

ugasoft

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:42:44 pm »

I' in the US (San Francisco) and I'll be back monday 21st CET... I'm missing only a single match with StickaRicka, I hope I can play with him as soon as possible... but I don't think before the deadline.

Is it ok?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »

I PM'd Masticore a couple times yesterday and haven't got a response yet.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:44:17 pm »

I PM'ed AHoppy a couple days ago too with no response yet. He was busy this past week so he is probably just still busy. We'll probably still have our match but there is no way it can affect the rankings.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »

I PMed JanErik twice to find a date for our Week-7-Match, but did not get any response.

JanErik has been scratched, you have no match to play against him.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

BJ Penn

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 04:55:17 pm »

So, ebEliminator has disappeared off the face of the earth.

I have  looked at the rankings in my group (Central US), and if I'm not mistaken, I need win 7-0 just to tie NinjaBus for first place, and go 2-5 or better to take second. I think it's pretty fair to assume I'd win more than 1, but less than 7 games. If it's OK with everyone I could just bow out with silver. NinjaBus is clearly the better player anyway.

It is a bit of a shame. It would have been fun to go for the 7-0 win to tie for first.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 06:17:06 pm »

So, ebEliminator has disappeared off the face of the earth.

I have  looked at the rankings in my group (Central US), and if I'm not mistaken, I need win 7-0 just to tie NinjaBus for first place, and go 2-5 or better to take second. I think it's pretty fair to assume I'd win more than 1, but less than 7 games. If it's OK with everyone I could just bow out with silver. NinjaBus is clearly the better player anyway.

It is a bit of a shame. It would have been fun to go for the 7-0 win to tie for first.

Properly, to finish the standings I would scratch ebEliminator... giving ninjabus 37, you 33, and decreasing everyone else by a fair amount as well, so ninjabus will take that group, yes.

Assuming ebEliminator doesn't post here today, that is.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:34 am »

lullin and me never came around matching up schedules...

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 09:05:32 am »

Final Winners by group:

Atlantic:  DG
Eastern America*:  Wandering Winder
Central Europe*:  Fabian
Eurasia:  MrEevee

Eastern:  Rising Jaguar
Central*:  Ninjabus
Mountain:  Coheed
Pacific:  O

Each set of four above needs to set up a time to play a multiplayer semifinal match ASAP.  Congratulations to the eight of you!

----

*Notes on winners:

Eastern America:  Wandering Winder was the presumptive winner here anyway; the only opponent within reach is missing two matches, effectively forfeiting to WW.

Central Europe:  This seems to be a tough decision, but the math backs it up.  Fabian, Tonks77, and Lekkit each beat StickaRicka 5-2.  Ugasoft and Tonks beat AngBoy 5-2 and 4-3, respectively.  Essentially, Tonks loses 18 points to DQs, and everyone else near the top loses 10, leaving Fabian on top.

This would be the approximate expected outcome, as Tonks had played all his matches, and everyone else in contention had only played 6.

Central:  As noted above, removing ebEliminator's scores leaves Ninjabus still on top.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 09:30:50 am »

In Eastern America (that's my region), he needed to win 13 of 14 to tie, and that's assuming that I forfeit the two games that were misplayed. Ok, so it can happen for sure, but not probably a big deal.
Central Europe is the big thing. I was trying to work it out, and... I'm pretty sure Tonks77 needed more or less every remaining match to fall on the exact right split of game scores in order to win, and even then, there would have had to be tiebreaks. The bigger thing is that the other players were really close, and those last few matches could have had big results. But, what are you going to do? Deadline is up. And while it's definitely in the air somewhat, this is also definitely the most likely winner here. And a strong strong player for sure.

So, it would be good to remind here of the multiplayer semifinal rules...

Edit: Oh, I can do it. 5 games, 3 points for win, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd, 0 for 4th.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:32:57 am by WanderingWinder »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 10:35:34 am »

Central Europe is the big thing. I was trying to work it out, and... I'm pretty sure Tonks77 needed more or less every remaining match to fall on the exact right split of game scores in order to win, and even then, there would have had to be tiebreaks.

Specifically, Fabian, a very high-tier player, would have had to lose 0-7 for Tonks to stay in the lead.  Not good odds.  Ugasoft and Lekkit were close but we have to base things on actual games played.  Hence why I'm thinking the pools were a bad idea here.

Edit: Oh, I can do it. 5 games, 3 points for win, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd, 0 for 4th.

That's right!  Ties to be broken, IIRC, by a single game.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 11:00:23 am »

Central Europe is the big thing. I was trying to work it out, and... I'm pretty sure Tonks77 needed more or less every remaining match to fall on the exact right split of game scores in order to win, and even then, there would have had to be tiebreaks.

Specifically, Fabian, a very high-tier player, would have had to lose 0-7 for Tonks to stay in the lead.  Not good odds.  Ugasoft and Lekkit were close but we have to base things on actual games played.  Hence why I'm thinking the pools were a bad idea here.

That's right!  Ties to be broken, IIRC, by a single game.

Bracket Championship:

The top four finishers, one from each group, will play a five game match to determine the winner of each bracket.  These will be four player games scored 3-2-1-0.  In the case of a tie in Match Points between two players who have the lead after five games, those two players will hold a two player match (first player to win four games), to determine the winner.   In the unlikely case of a tie in Match Points between more than two players who have the lead after five games, those players will hold a multiplayer match (first player to win three games), to determine the winner.

IsoDom: Challenge Championship Final:

The winner of both brackets will play a first to five match to determine who is named IsoDom: Challenge Champion.

ugasoft

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 07:10:39 am »

Central Europe:  This seems to be a tough decision, but the math backs it up.  Fabian, Tonks77, and Lekkit each beat StickaRicka 5-2.  Ugasoft and Tonks beat AngBoy 5-2 and 4-3, respectively.  Essentially, Tonks loses 18 points to DQs, and everyone else near the top loses 10, leaving Fabian on top.

I'm sorry I missed the deadline... I've played all matches as soon as the games were out... 10 days ago I had to travel to US... and now it's too late.

I knew the odds of overtaking Fabian were too few, but I would have been able to try :(

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 02:37:24 pm »

Videos here:

Comments:

Game 1: I feel like DG gets extremely lucky with his tournaments, both in how often he gets them to hit, and how little they're blocked. Tournament is a pretty bad card without help for 4-player. I don't like getting 5/2, and then I struggle for some time to build up some money, getting $2 way too often and not drawing my mint with silver as soon as I could. Still, I make a decent comeback and it's a close game, but things don't fall quite right. I think I played really well, with the probably exception that I embargoed rather poorly probably. OTOH, the other players did decently well too, though I don't like tournament here almost at all.

Game 2: I really think the ghost ships could have been rabbles. Or at least, many of them. Yes, in 2-player ghost ship is much better. But here, Rabble gets you an extra card, the ghost ship attacks can't stack with each other, and with as many curses as we get, (later green), rabble is a really strong attack. Now, I get pretty darn bad luck out of the sea hags and rabbles skipping my important cards, though there's some other people having that happen too. I think not quite as much. Lots of luck again though. I think I needed to end it when I did, too, even getting 2nd. Ah well.

Game 3: More luck? Early on, I have swindler miss the reshuffle and then get flipped up for a silver, my monument soon gets turned into a pretty worthless conspirator, I get a harem turned into a gold (which is a big deal!), 5 times a copper turned up by swindler and never an estate. To be fair, I get to discard three curses to protect myself from mountebank, though I have so many.... Also, Fabian spikes two early KCs and even with all the garbage going everywhere, gets to play them twice (total between the two). Ok. And with fewer turns.

Game 4: Here the luck is pretty well in my favour. LOTS of coppers flipped early. I do also pick up four curses, which kinda sucks, but oh well - I could be DG who got 7. I saw that piles were going to run AGAIN, and so went pretty early into duchies, with the plan of going on to dukes if the need arose. MrEevee seemed really upset, like he had some way of winning, at the end, but I don't see it....

Game 5: Ah, crazy. I figure that I want to go for BM-smithy with hopefully a margrave later. But if the right number of people go for jester/city/conspirator, that can be super strong. Well, the go for engine-y things. And it works out pretty darn well. I don't get the best luck here, either - two golds go down to jesters on 6 and 11, also one of my precious silvers on turn 6, and I pick up 6(! - and no, I don't mean 720) curses. The margrave luck to me was pretty reasonable probably. Well the game goes crazy, but MrEevee can see his way to a win and takes it.

Overall, lots of luck, lots of turn order (check that out as you read things over; it's a really big deal in 4-player), and I definitely think the match should have been a lot longer.

Oh, also, we should probably clarify: the 3-2-1-0 scoring is fine if there are no ties within a game. What if there are?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »

It was fun, but we all seemed to agree that 5 games is way way too little and that it was pretty much a crapshoot.

Yeah, I'll admit I'm not entirely surprised.  But I wanted to stay with the original format when MMM disappeared.

NinjaBus

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:49 pm »

Oh, also, we should probably clarify: the 3-2-1-0 scoring is fine if there are no ties within a game. What if there are?

Would it make sense to split the score then? Tie for first gives both players 2.5, then the next guy gets 1 and the loser 0.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 01:17:53 pm »

That's what I assumed would have happened yeah. Can't see what else would happen.

mangsky

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 03:57:35 am »

I apologize for our failure to play in the last 2 weeks of isodom as we went on a vacation (to the us) and found our internet connection to be shabby to say the least. My sincerest apologies to he opponents especially fabian who i was unable to contact immediately
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.984 seconds with 20 queries.