Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Challenge: Create a kingdom that makes Counting House as useful as possible  (Read 11929 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile

Hmm.  Sounds promising.  You'd need trashing for the uniquely named Estates I think.  Steward seems best because you could use it for +2$ after it trashes Estates.  A Village of some sort could then let you use both the Steward and the Counting House.  Fishing Village works best because it can supply actions from outside of your deck, and it supplies $, which as mentioned is a problem.  That's 3$ from non-copper sources, so you could just buy 1 copper sometime whenever you hit 2$ or fail to get 5$ for Hunting Party when you already have the Steward and FV.  So..

Colony game.
Adventurer
Explorer
Hunting Party
Counting House
Bureacrat
Salvager
Chancellor
Oasis
Steward
Fishing Village

Might be better than mine.

EDIT: I forgot that Steward will cause you to trash a few coppers.  I added Salvager, open FV/Salvager, start trashing estates and buying copper as soon as possible, then get a Steward to trash Salvager and estates.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:57:38 pm by popsofctown »

paddyodoors

How about Counting House in conjunction with Hunting Party for a colony game? With terrible other Hunting Party support, and maybe bank?

With a few hunting parties most of the copper will be in the discard, and since counting house is unique it should be in hand to draw them back. I'd imagine that the other cards would have to lack any sort of +$ though.

Sounds decent.  A cantrip +buy (Market, Hamlet) might be in order with Bank in the equation.

And you'd have a tough time getting it going, since you would need a lot of HPs to make it work.  Also, you'd have to give up a HP buy to get Counting House, making it slightly less appealing.

I think it would be more viable in a Colony game.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

I don't think Bank is best with the HP strategy.  You need as many HPs as possible and as few uniquely named cards as possible.  You can't afford a unique card with +buy, and it's not hard to acquire at least one copper, so it seems like a fancy Gold to me. 

If you use Market and Bank, and leave Estates in the deck, and buy a Colony, you have 6 uniquely named cards in your deck, and that takes tons of Hunting Parties.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile

HP+CH just does not seem viable.  as you all have commented, you realistically need plus buy, trashing, or another power card to pull it off.  it is very unlikely you can't find a faster combo for HP on that board, and the necessity of these other pieces means at the very best you will manage a 6/4 HP split against a competitive opponent.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile

Add spy, noble brigand, and secret chamber.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile

You'd need trashing for the uniquely named Estates I think.  Steward seems best because you could use it for +2$ after it trashes Estates.  A Village of some sort could then let you use both the Steward and the Counting House.

I knew this old woman who swallowed a fly.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile

Might be viable if you could ditch your Estates some other way. Opponent's Bishop or Governor, maybe, or Island. Though in that case Bishop or Governor strats are probably better.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
+1

You actually only need three cards (plus colony game)

IGG, Counting House, Scheme (maybe a +buy somewhere?)

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120508-135528-9f887547.html

I repeat this  ;D.

But guys, solutions actually need to be simple, not complex. If you're adding in good cards after good cards to try to synergize with a use of counting house, you're just introducing cards that can take the place of counting house to make a quicker strategy that doesn't include it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Inn, Chancellor, CH is simple. :/

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile

Hmmm, adding any card with +Buy and at least +1 Action to Inn, Chancellor, Counting House would allow you to buy a Victory card and another Inn to re-stack your deck every turn (2 copies of Chancellor, CH, and +Buy.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

My full kingdom contains +buy.  Was trying to emphasize simplicity.. lots of strategies need +buy.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile

I wonder if the strongest use of counting house is not as payload (hey I played this card for +8 coin), but as draw (+8 cards). Suppose you have cellar/counting house and some big combo (like TR/bridge); but you have no draw or deck management options to enable the mega turn of play three thrones and 4 bridges.

So you are looking for a big payout turn where you can play something like:
TR-> cellar (discard everything looking for a counting house/cellar combo) -> counting house (pick up a large number of coppers) -> TR -> Cellar (looking for TR/Bridges) -> TR(x3) -> Bridge (x4)

Like a lot of complicated stuff, this looks to work better in a colony game than in a province game.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page

In any event, the key is to be able to get it at the end of a shuffle. So there are a few ideas here. Inn, chancellor, some kind of warehouse/courtyard/native village nonsense, haven... well, you can do some very cute things.

On the other hand, it's really not that terrible. Very rarely worth it to get, but if you do happen to pick one up, it's not SO terrible.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile

With a cellar/counting house option you don't necessarily need to draw the CH at the end of the shuffle. You could discard the coppers from hand, and then draw them back (either for further cycling or for payout).

I've found cellar/apothecary to be extremely powerful as you can toss the coppers & redraw them later with apothecaries - cycling like mad for some big payout card (militia, cache, margrave); I haven't tried it, but I think apothecary/cellar/counting house set up would work well.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

In any event, the key is to be able to get it at the end of a shuffle. So there are a few ideas here. Inn, chancellor, some kind of warehouse/courtyard/native village nonsense, haven... well, you can do some very cute things.

On the other hand, it's really not that terrible. Very rarely worth it to get, but if you do happen to pick one up, it's not SO terrible.

I agree.  People Swindle 5's into Counting House way too early.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile

With a cellar/counting house option you don't necessarily need to draw the CH at the end of the shuffle. You could discard the coppers from hand, and then draw them back (either for further cycling or for payout).

I've found cellar/apothecary to be extremely powerful as you can toss the coppers & redraw them later with apothecaries - cycling like mad for some big payout card (militia, cache, margrave); I haven't tried it, but I think apothecary/cellar/counting house set up would work well.

I agree that apothecary/cellar is pretty nice, though its fast enough for Counting House not to add much pace to it: probably less than adding another copper or cellar with that $5.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.679 seconds with 21 queries.