Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My fan Expansion : Thirst of Adventure (23 cards so far)  (Read 5171 times)

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
My fan Expansion : Thirst of Adventure (23 cards so far)
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:14:33 pm »

I first wanted to submit cards with picture... I was tired, and I only submitted 7 cards with pictures shamelessly found on Google Images.

Now, here are many cards, without the pictures ; just tell me your comments.
You could already see some of them yesterday. Some others are straight taken from challenges and I already designed some of them.

======$$$$$$Cards costing $2$$$$$$======

-Hammock-
(Action Duration)
Now and at the start of your next turn, choose one : +1 card OR +1 action

-Cavern- (Action Reaction)
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card that is not a Victory card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card.
---
When you trash a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, trash this and put the trashed card into your discard pile.

-Mysterious Lake- (Tresaure) (Y)
Worth $?
When you play this, discard a card from your hand. If it is a Treasure card, this is worth $3. Otherwise, this is worth $1.
-----
This card costs $2 to buy or gain but when it is your property, it costs $6

======$$$$$$Cards costing $3$$$$$$======

-Observatory Tree- (Action duration)
+1 card.
Now and at the start of your next turn :
Discard any number of cards, +1 card per card discarded.

-Survival Kit- (Action)
+1 card, +1 action
If this is the first time you played a Survival kit this turn, +1 card. Otherwise, you may put this card on top of your deck during your Clean-up Phase.

-Wooden bridge-
(Action)
+1 action, +1 buy
------
While this is in play, Action cards cost $1 less (not less than $0)

-Flying Kunoichi-(Action)
Put one card from your hand on your Flying Kunoichi mat.
------
When you reshuffle, put all the cards from your Flying Kunoichi mat anywhere in your deck.

-Trapper-
(action attack)
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Reveal and discard one of them, draw the rest.
Each other player gains a copy of the revealed card. Then each one either discards the top card of his deck and put the gained card on his deck, or not, your choice.

======$$$$$$Cards costing $4$$$$$$======

-Illusionist-
(Action attack)
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards from top of his deck. He trashes one of them you choose, discards the other one, and gains a card of the same cost as the trashed card you choose.

-Geomancer- (action)
Reveal cards from top of your deck until you reveal 2 action cards. Discard the other revealed cards, and one of the revealed action cards. Play the other. Then, trash a card from your hand.

-Forgotten Village- (action)
+2 actions
Look at the two top cards of top of your deck. Choose one : trash one, draw the other one OR discard one, put the other one back on your deck.

-Hill Raider-
+2 cards, +1 buy. You may discard an action card. If you do, +1 action.

======$$$$$$Cards costing $5$$$$$$======

-Doppelhändler- (action attack)
+$1
Choose one : +$1 and +1 action OR each other player gains a Curse.

-Gold prospector-
+$2
Discard two treasures. If you do, gain a Gold.

-Survivor's Village-
+1 card, +2 actions
------
When you gain this, gain a Survivor's village token.
At any turn, you may return a Survivor's village token before you play your first action card. If you do, +1 action.

-Wise Man-
+2 cards, +$1. Return any number of cards on top of your deck.

-Birdwatcher-
+4 cards
For every time you played this card this turn (counting this), each other player draws a card. Then, they put back on their deck as many cards as they drew .

-Assault- (Action)
+1 card, +1 action. Reveal cards from top of your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Either discard it or set it aside. Discard the other revealed cards.
----
At the start of your Buy phase, play and trash all the set aside cards in any order.

-Tree of Knowledge- (Treasure reaction) (looks much like the card I designed first for the contest 11)
Worth $1
+1 buy
When you discard this from play, you may trash a Treasure you have in play that is not Tree of Knowledge.
----
When you gain a Treasure, you may reveal this. If you do, trash this and put the gained Treasure either in your hand or on top of your deck.

-Coureur des bois- (Action, attack)
+1 buy, +$2
Each other player chooses one : he puts one card back on his deck OR he gains a curse, putting it in his hand.

-Chalet-
(Reaction)
When you gain this, gain 1 VP token and gain a card costing less than this.
When you buy a card costing more than this, you may reveal this from your hand and trash this.

-Mountain base- (Action victory)
Put one card from your hand on your Mountain base mat.
-----
Worth 1 VP for every $6 in the total cost of the non-victory cards on your Mountain base mat. (rounded down)
Return all cards from your mat in your deck after you counted the value when the game ends.

======$$$$$$Cards costing $6$$$$$$======
-Waterfall- (Action, victory)
+1 card, +1 action
-------
Worth 1 VP for every quarter of Waterfall cards available at the start of the game that are out of the supply (rounded down).

(so in 2p games, worth 1 VP for every 2 waterfalls in players'deck, trash pile, and so on, and in 3p+, worth 1 VP for every 3 waterfalls...)

-Assassin- (Action, attack)
+$3
Each other player may move his pawn one space forwards on the Assassin track if it hasn't already reached the Lethal space. If he doesn't move, he trashes a card from his hand costing $3 or more (or reveal a hand with no such cards) and may gain a card costing up to $2 less. He may put the gained card in his hand.
------
Setup : place each player's pawn on the space 0 of the Assassin track and the Lethal token on the space numbered (10 * (number of players -1)). This space is the Lethal space.

(the Assassin track is a long line with 10*N+1 spaces numbered from 0 to 10*N, on which each case multiple of 10 is colored differently)

-Labyrinth- (action)
Discard any number of cards, then draw until you have 7 cards in hand.

-First aider-
(action)
+1 action
Choose one :
Trash this card OR Trash a card from your hand OR name a card, reveal cards from top of your deck until you reveal a copy of the named card, trash it, and discard the other revealed cards.

More cards to come...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:25:54 pm by ChocophileBenj »
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Re: My fan Expansion : Thirst of Adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:49:04 pm »

you should probably attribute your artwork. give credit where credit is due and such.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: My fan Expansion : Thirst of Adventure (23 cards so far)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 03:23:43 pm »

I should find a solution for when I will make cards with pictures.
Because I love picking images on Google Images... it's free, right ?
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:07:13 pm »

2-Hammock- (Action Duration)
Now and at the start of your next turn, choose one : +1 card OR +1 action
A little weak, but it seems okay. I would like a +$1 coin option, too. I like that you can choose a next turn village.
-Cavern- (Action Reaction)
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card that is not a Victory card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card.
---
When you trash a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, trash this and put the trashed card into your discard pile.
The effect is a little confusing. Play this, trash copper, reveal this. Do you get a card costing one more than the Copper or more than this? I think the reaction is narrow. The regular part would be stronger if it let you downgrade into duchies. I don't "get" this card.
2-Mysterious Lake- (Tresaure) (Y)
Worth $?
When you play this, discard a card from your hand. If it is a Treasure card, this is worth $3. Otherwise, this is worth $1.
-----
This card costs $2 to buy or gain but when it is your property, it costs $6
So it is a silver if you have a copper in hand. That seems okay on its own. I don't think the leap to 6 cost is necessary. Governor or Remodel is a bit of a problem. Maybe 5, but then you have to worry about Remake a little.
3 -Observatory Tree- (Action duration)
+1 card.
Now and at the start of your next turn :
Discard any number of cards, +1 card per card discarded.
A double BM-only Vault. It doesn't deal with junk as well as one may expect, I think.
3 -Survival Kit- (Action)
+1 card, +1 action
If this is the first time you played a Survival kit this turn, +1 card. Otherwise, you may put this card on top of your deck during your Clean-up Phase.
Everyone would pick up at least one Survival kit. That doesn't seem interesting to me for reasons I discussed in the village and other Rinkworks challenges.

3 -Wooden bridge-
(Action)
+1 action, +1 buy
------
While this is in play, Action cards cost $1 less (not less than $0)
This is a combination of Highway and Quarry. Quarry acts as +3$ on its own towards action cards and doesn't consume an action. Comparitively, this looks bad, like a copper only usable on actions. I could see this reducing the cost of Non-actions.

3 -Flying Kunoichi-(Action)
Put one card from your hand on your Flying Kunoichi mat.
------
When you reshuffle, put all the cards from your Flying Kunoichi mat anywhere in your deck.

Except for megaturns, I don't see the point of this. It is very weak. Scheme does something even in non-megaturn decks.
3-Trapper-[/color] (action attack)
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Reveal and discard one of them, draw the rest.
Each other player gains a copy of the revealed card. Then each one either discards the top card of his deck and put the gained card on his deck, or not, your choice.
I don't know why you get the choice. This is a terminal drawer that you hope to hit a (I will coin a new term) "Vagrant target" out of three to draw and make this a junking attack. Other than that, I like the card text. It probably needs to be $4.
-Illusionist-
(Action attack)
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards from top of his deck. He trashes one of them you choose, discards the other one, and gains a card of the same cost as the trashed card you choose.
A powered up Swindler with no immediate benefit. I could see this greatly slowing games, especially multiplayer, down. Like Sea Hag that way. It looks okay.
4 -Geomancer- (action)
Reveal cards from top of your deck until you reveal 2 action cards. Discard the other revealed cards, and one of the revealed action cards. Play the other. Then, trash a card from your hand.
Seems fine. It gives you a little incentive to get it on the first turn if only for the trashing and chanceloring.

4 -Forgotten Village- (action)
+2 actions
Look at the two top cards of top of your deck. Choose one : trash one, draw the other one OR discard one, put the other one back on your deck.
For a very long time, this is a trashing village at 4 (too good). A mix of these abilities might make a good card though.
4 -Hill Raider-
+2 cards, +1 buy. You may discard an action card. If you do, +1 action.
I rather like this.

More later.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »

5 -Doppelhändler- (action attack)
+$1
Choose one : +$1 and +1 action OR each other player gains a Curse.
A silver or a $1 curser? Buying this is likely an easy decision if it is the only curser. A curser that gets rid of itself and stays useful is problematic, but this one seems reasonable enough (but scary).

5 -Gold prospector-
+$2
Discard two treasures. If you do, gain a Gold.
Too strong. We have the "gain a gold" discussion all time on this board. Also, the $2 you get often feels extraneous because you just discarded your treasure.

5 -Survivor's Village-
+1 card, +2 actions
------
When you gain this, gain a Survivor's village token.
At any turn, you may return a Survivor's village token before you play your first action card. If you do, +1 action.
I always loved this card and suspected it would win the Village challenge.
5 -Wise Man-
+2 cards, +$1. Return any number of cards on top of your deck.
I don't like combinations of terminal +cards and +$1. It is a variant of other "return any number of cards" cards on this forum. Seems okay.
5-Birdwatcher-
+4 cards
For every time you played this card this turn (counting this), each other player draws a card. Then, they put back on their deck as many cards as they drew .
The current text is designed well for Kings Court, but I would like the cleaner text of "For each Birdwatcher in play (counting this),".
-Assault- (Action)
+1 card, +1 action. Reveal cards from top of your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Either discard it or set it aside. Discard the other revealed cards.
----
At the start of your Buy phase, play and trash all the set aside cards in any order.
I don't think the name goes with the ability. Loan and some Dark Ages cards cover this ground better I think.
5-Tree of Knowledge- (Treasure reaction) (looks much like the card I designed first for the contest 11)
Worth $1
+1 buy
When you discard this from play, you may trash a Treasure you have in play that is not Tree of Knowledge.
----
When you gain a Treasure, you may reveal this. If you do, trash this and put the gained Treasure either in your hand or on top of your deck.
This card doesn't need the top of the deck option. Like the other treasure-trashers, takes up the same design space of other cards.
-Coureur des bois- (Action, attack)
+1 buy, +$2
Each other player chooses one : he puts one card back on his deck OR he gains a curse, putting it in his hand.
A less stackable Torturer. Seems okay.

5-Chalet-
(Reaction)
When you gain this, gain 1 VP token and gain a card costing less than this.
When you buy a card costing more than this, you may reveal this from your hand and trash this.
Is this a pure reaction? It seems that all this card does is give you the opportunity to trade one card in hard for 1VP if you are willing to pay one more for a card you want. Too much text for an ability you hardly ever want.
-Mountain base- (Action victory)
Put one card from your hand on your Mountain base mat.
-----
Worth 1 VP for every $6 in the total cost of the non-victory cards on your Mountain base mat. (rounded down)
Return all cards from your mat in your deck after you counted the value when the game ends.
The problem here is that you are discouraged from ending the game. I like the ridiculousness of giant Mountain piles triggered from gainers, but it seems to take a long time for this strategy to get going.

more to come.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 02:31:27 pm »

======$$$$$$Cards costing $6$$$$$$======
-Waterfall- (Action, victory)
+1 card, +1 action
-------
Worth 1 VP for every quarter of Waterfall cards available at the start of the game that are out of the supply (rounded down).

(so in 2p games, worth 1 VP for every 2 waterfalls in players'deck, trash pile, and so on, and in 3p+, worth 1 VP for every 3 waterfalls...)
If opponent in 2p has 3, which are worth 1VP each, an opponent buying them makes them worth 2vP, causing a 4 point swing against herself. The plan seems to be get 2, then no one else will want any at the risk of not catching up. Since there are not likely to be races for this, a player could get 6, making them worth 3VP and each one is a cantrip, so that is pretty good. Having 8 leave the supply in 2p is the absolute best case. It is weird that buying these doesn't deny many potential points to someone getting them.
-Assassin- (Action, attack)
+$3
Each other player may move his pawn one space forwards on the Assassin track if it hasn't already reached the Lethal space. If he doesn't move, he trashes a card from his hand costing $3 or more (or reveal a hand with no such cards) and may gain a card costing up to $2 less. He may put the gained card in his hand.
------
Setup : place each player's pawn on the space 0 of the Assassin track and the Lethal token on the space numbered (10 * (number of players -1)). This space is the Lethal space.
I really this that it is unlikely a terminal costing 6 will be played 10 times in a given game. There is no immediate benefit to the first 10 plays (beyond the money). Compare to Goons, where the first time is an attack and likely at least 1VP. If this is played in something like a Goons chain (unlikely because Goons attacks naturally slow the game down and disincentivize greening), then on turns 16-18, this could cause 3 "value" damage to your opponent or at least 3VP damage. I think it is weak and suffers from Fancy Balance Issues.
-Labyrinth- (action)
Discard any number of cards, then draw until you have 7 cards in hand.

I like this. It is a terminal, so it is quite hard to pull off. With regular villages, you could set up an amazing hand with a pair of these.
-First aider-[/b] (action)
+1 action
Choose one :
Trash this card OR Trash a card from your hand OR name a card, reveal cards from top of your deck until you reveal a copy of the named card, trash it, and discard the other revealed cards.
I doubt it needs the "Trash this card" option. It seems like a weak and slow trasher anyway. The only way this is good is if you have almost assembled a megaturn or golden deck and you need to clear out a particular card. The other way to use it is to eliminate every Curse from your deck, but this card costs more than the Cursers it stops and doesn't provide immediate benefit. Weak.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:55:37 pm »

During those months I played Dominion for real, and I kinda changed my mind about some cards I did (instead of having my brain drowned into tons of Dominion virtual games with search for wonderful overbroken comboes). Now I think I know better by myself when a card is good, weak, overpowered...

Hammock : needed the +$1 or something like this. I just beware of not making it stronger than pawn !
Cavern : Yes, on the reaction part I wanted a kind of "ultimate trash bonus" (expand province to colony ? No matter, reveal cavern to trash instead) and overall a swindler/saboteur/pirate ship defender (cause your opponent gains the PS token only if he trashes treasures). But in fact it seems overcracked and boring !
Mysterious lake : same... I wanted something ultimate for Gov/remodel but in fact it seems boring ! And what if when the discarded card is an action card it is worth $2 ?

Observatory Tree : Don't know what to change in it (DKWCI˛), though I kinda know it's not the perfect card.
Survival kit : okay, let's forget !
Wooden bridge : DKWCI˛
Flying Kunoichi : Here she is !!! I know what to change in it : add +$2 or some value or a "you may" part or it will remain on the ground (ironical for someone "flying") ! I didn't know what was in my mind when I designed it. (Maybe I was looking for wonderful kunoichi pics ?)
Trapper : I'm afraid making it at $4 would weaken it, as you draw only 2 cards out of 3, but hope the idea of a pure junking attack other than the Ambas-sad-or wouldn't be sad.

Illusionist : this card is older and was first at $6. But I had to react when I saw the epicness of Sea hags, because I agree, this card is pretty much the same (curses go a bit slower and don't hurt you immediatly but it is still effective after they're gone !)
Geomancer : Fine ? Thanks ! DKWCI˛
Forgotten village : I would love so much a trashing village, but I don't know how to make it not too much stronger than a lookout and I don't want it to be at $5 because... it's awful !
Hill Raider : DKWCI˛

And now it gets funnier with the $5+ cards...
DoppelHandler : DKWCI˛
Gold Prospector : geeee... will someone ever make a good "Gold gainer that costs $5" ? Because Governor is by far too much powered, right ?
Survivor's village : Best village ever ! DKWCI˛ !
Wise man : I knew terminal draw and +$ would be dangerous. Yet, we got mercenary in DA...
Birdwatcher : Yes, I want it to be right for TR+KC+Proc, so what ?
Assault : How to rename it ? And do you think it would be weaker than counterfeit, like Adventurer (who scavenges treasures) in front of Gold (pure treasure) ?
Tree of Knowledge : ...? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, not sure if I'm a fool or if I'm just tired.
Chalet : Pure reaction... is it so bad ? And I need some advices for the wording... (and for other cards' wordings too)
Mountain base : Once again, I forgot this ! Maybe a pure victory card "When you gain this, you may...", as I imagined that for the victory card challenge.

Waterfall : Thanks ! Now, I need more opinions !
Assassin : 10 times to play it are too much ? Maybe... I started at 6, but I thought it wasn't much. In fact maybe it's better... and the Assassin's Trail (let's rename it this way)
Labyrinth : DKWCI˛ in fact.
First aider : forget about this.

So I think I need some advices for wording, and I would like to know your advices on my editions for the cards, especially those in bold !
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.068 seconds with 21 queries.