Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32  All

Author Topic: Mafia II: Of Goons and Woodcutters GAME OVER Mafia Wins!  (Read 95828 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia II: Of Goons and Woodcutters (Day 3)
« Reply #725 on: June 01, 2012, 10:50:27 am »

Actually, Robz and I rarely lied in this game.

Except for the BIG GIANT DOCTOR lie that I absolutely spotted from the moment it was uttered.

Yes Volt, let's enjoy this delicious crow. Also I'm sorry I targeted you, you're a good guy, etc., etc.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 01, 2012, 10:51:48 am »

pictured: a BIG GIANT DOCTOR lie

I meant a BIG GIANT DOCTOR LIE.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 01, 2012, 10:52:12 am »

It was a lucky night 1 kill, but not random. I did have reason to suspect T might have a role. It was him, K or you. So 33% chance, with an investigation on another. Robz genuinely did not think K could be made a target. He believed K read town in day 1 ALL the way (which is why he wanted to night 1 kill him).
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 01, 2012, 10:52:50 am »

My appologize to the fellow townies for not believing me. Great game to you galzria you were of course my lowest suspect. And well I knew robz was scum but hats off for getting everyone to think I was instead.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 01, 2012, 10:53:41 am »

The alppolgoes are actually for coming off scummy. I was trying so hard not to. But well robz and galz did a good job changing that picture
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 01, 2012, 10:54:58 am »

Haha, the ONE piece of strategy he mentioned, night 3. "I might claim doctor". I told him (for above reasons of staying genuine) to do what he wants/feels he needs to, just don't tell me!

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 01, 2012, 10:55:25 am »

I, you read town to me, for what it's worth.

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 01, 2012, 10:59:58 am »

Actually, Robz and I rarely lied in this game.

Except for the BIG GIANT DOCTOR lie that I absolutely spotted from the moment it was uttered.

I would like to hear Robz's thinking on that.  I just don't see how the risks of getting counterclaimed outweigh the benefits.

For what it's worth, I didn't actually assign the Doctor roleclaim any weight in my analysis.  The big problem I couldn't get my head past was the fact that Insomniac's accusations just felt logically flimsy to me.  In hindsight, I should have trusted instinct more.  Either Insomniac's instinct - or my initial Day 3 instinct that "if my Day 2 analysis was wrong, the problem was my assumption as to Galzria."

But then there was all that juicy ANALYSIS!  And jotheonah coming after me like a vengeful Fury!  And finally the sheer irony of "oh they could have hammered me they didn't so it can't be them WHOOPS"

I think my feelings are best summed up thusly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQdSwFgSec

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 01, 2012, 11:03:21 am »

I, you read town to me, for what it's worth.

That was, thankfully, key to us. You read I as town, V read him as innocent. Still, there was one thing I was left wondering. If V had for whatever reason voted R instead after I had my say, I WOULD'VE hammered Robz, claiming that broke up the pair so R must be Mafia. I would've night killed Voltgloss. Could I have convinced Insomniac that the last remaining player, J, the only non-Robz voter, was Mafia #2?

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 01, 2012, 11:04:15 am »

V read insomniac as Mafia* (still not comfortable just editing. Lol)

Mafia Record:

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 01, 2012, 11:05:10 am »

Yeah, sorry about that. I was really sure it was you. It was your (I see now good-natured) disengaging from me on Day 2 that really did it. I thought I was close to hitting a nerve. And then after that point, you never really defended yourself. You just asked questions and faded into the background. So confirmation bias kicked in and I just got surer and surer it was you, ignoring totally good reasons to turn on G.

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 01, 2012, 11:07:10 am »

That video was awesome. For the second time this game, you come up aces in finding perfectly fit videos.

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 01, 2012, 11:09:42 am »

Yeah, sorry about that. I was really sure it was you. It was your (I see now good-natured) disengaging from me on Day 2 that really did it. I thought I was close to hitting a nerve. And then after that point, you never really defended yourself. You just asked questions and faded into the background. So confirmation bias kicked in and I just got surer and surer it was you, ignoring totally good reasons to turn on G.

I disengaged for the reasons I said;  our spat was going nowhere.  And I didn't have the time or energy to continue the point-by-point rebuttal you were demanding.  Plus, when you called me "Mr. Attorney" I got kinda annoyed.  In the sense of, "This is a game, it's supposed to be fun, is THIS part of it fun?  No.  Then why do it?"

I figured if I stepped back and people other than you jumped on me for stepping back, then I'd know I had to defend myself.  But no one else cared.  Not even you seemed to care!  (The Kuildeous train got rolling instead)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 01, 2012, 11:10:12 am »

J that does make me feel better it means that only one town thought I wasn't. Galzria I don't know I really really thought you were town but had you hammered Robz I would've expected YOU not V or J to die. You were the most town feeling to me so there was that. But because of that fact I expected you to face the night kill. I would've been thrown off by V dying and would've wanted substantial arguments from the both of you because I had a feeling I would be the decider in that case. Killing J in the night would probably be best for you as I had R-V as my most likely pair.

I did try and explain the roleclaim V Im not sure if Robz has the same reasoning but. 66% chance of counterclaim. If there is a counterclaim theres a 50/50 shot the mafia win and lynch the counter claim (If I had lied and counterclaimed for instance which I did think about). If there is no counterclaim then hes probably won. If he is lynched then as we see Galzria would've killed Robz

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 01, 2012, 11:17:17 am »

Volt, yeah I just sort of got caught up in it. Sorry for being an RL jerk. That was uncalled for...

And my big problem this game was seeing good things and then not following up on them.

He/him

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 01, 2012, 11:19:02 am »

Oh my goodness we win! Ha, yeah last night I was totally trying to signal to Galz that he should vote Volt and I would do it and that would be that. But yeah it was really risky to actually do that incase J unvoted, and we didn't need to take risks by then.

Galz played masterfully. I don't even understand how he did it. No one seriously suspected him, ever. And we were hardly mentioned as a possible pair.

So, I investigated Volt on Night 1 and J on Night 2. So I knew that Insomniac was the Doctor/Jailer or he was nothing and there was no Doctor. I thought I could beat Insomniac in a head-on argument, which is why we wanted him in the game this last round. But what if he roleclaimed? I HAD to beat him to it. And that immediate vote he placed on me gave me something of an excuse. So, that's why I did it. Really, I had to... because Insomniac was the only person who even could have had a role at that time, and he was the person I needed to convince you all to lynch.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 01, 2012, 11:21:44 am »

Volt, yeah I just sort of got caught up in it. Sorry for being an RL jerk. That was uncalled for...

And my big problem this game was seeing good things and then not following up on them.

I was worried leaving day 2 that there were too many things to see about me. I came into day 3 ready to fight for my life, but expecting I could die.

Mafia Record:

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:57 am »

I disengaged for the reasons I said;  our spat was going nowhere.  And I didn't have the time or energy to continue the point-by-point rebuttal you were demanding.  Plus, when you called me "Mr. Attorney" I got kinda annoyed.  In the sense of, "This is a game, it's supposed to be fun, is THIS part of it fun?  No.  Then why do it?"

I figured if I stepped back and people other than you jumped on me for stepping back, then I'd know I had to defend myself.  But no one else cared.  Not even you seemed to care!  (The Kuildeous train got rolling instead)

BTW, the prospect that the person I would have to out-argue in order to win the game was a lawyer was pretty terrifying to me, so I came on pretty strong as a way of sort of overcompensating for that, I guess.

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 01, 2012, 11:31:59 am »

I want to post this, well, because it's fun, and because it shows my nervousness to the one person I COULD say something to:

Galzria breathed a sigh of relief. After the death of Tables and Morgrim the water was starting to heat up. Still, he thought, with a small smile creeping up the corners of his lips, things had certainly panned out well. With the death of Kuildeous, Town Vanilla, he knew the Mafia were one step closer to running this town.

But he couldn't rest yet. Suspicions would be running ever higher, and with dawn approaching, he could almost hear the clamor of the town already calling for his head. He knew he would have to prepare his case well. Still, there might be time to throw one more wrench into things. Bozzball. Yes, Bozzball. Quiet, unassuming, unsuspicious Bozzball. With him spending his days hiding away in his Estate, nobody could really expect him to be a Mafia mastermind. And what would the Mafia have to gain from killing him anyway? He certainly posed them no threats...

Galzria grimaced as he picked himself up out of bed. Well, might as well get this over with. No telling how much time was left. He put on his hat and coat, grabbed his cane, and quietly stepped out into the night. He knew Bozzball's Estate was on the other side of town, but he didn't get to this position in life by drawing attention to himself. This should be like taking candy from a baby...

Galzria, Mafia Goon, attempts to kill Bozzball.

Mafia Record:

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 01, 2012, 11:41:21 am »

Yeah, Bozzball. No one was going to save Bozzball in the night.

Also, I had not forgotten his Round 1 vote for me for just speaking. Couldn't risk anything like that happening again.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 01, 2012, 11:41:42 am »

J, it's cool.  We had our differences, they got us killed, no big deal.  :)

Seriously though, I think my big mistake this game was getting too swept up in combing through everyone's rhetoric.  I probably should have focused more on results (positions, votes, kills) rather than words.  Not that peoples' words are unimportant - but they shouldn't overshadow the rest of the evidence available.

But anyway, it was still a fun game and a great experience.  I'm glad I was part of it.  :)

...so now that there's only 1 Mafia game underway, I am seriously thinking of moderating one myself.  Mainly because I have what I think is an interesting flavor idea, and the one thing I think could have made our game more fun was more flavor.  I'll mention this in the "void left by Mafia I" thread too, of course, and I suppose it's best to fork discussion of that over to there.

Kuildeous, when you get a chance to check on and shake your head ruefully at our debacle, do you mind posting the discussion quicktopic link?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 01, 2012, 11:43:27 am »

Seriously though, I think my big mistake this game was getting too swept up in combing through everyone's rhetoric.  I probably should have focused more on results (positions, votes, kills) rather than words.  Not that peoples' words are unimportant - but they shouldn't overshadow the rest of the evidence available.

But anyway, it was still a fun game and a great experience.  I'm glad I was part of it.  :)

...so now that there's only 1 Mafia game underway, I am seriously thinking of moderating one myself.  Mainly because I have what I think is an interesting flavor idea, and the one thing I think could have made our game more fun was more flavor.  I'll mention this in the "void left by Mafia I" thread too, of course, and I suppose it's best to fork discussion of that over to there.

Kuildeous, when you get a chance to check on and shake your head ruefully at our debacle, do you mind posting the discussion quicktopic link?

Didn't he say on day 2 he was going to origins? Axxle has the link to so

Axxle now that it's over can we have the quicktopic link as well?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 01, 2012, 11:47:09 am »

Ok, good to hear. Believe me when I say I care 100% more that I accidentally hurt your feelings/ made the game less fun for you than that we lost this stupid game. I have the utmost respect for your profession.

He/him

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 01, 2012, 11:52:53 am »

I was worried it was coming apart in Day 2. Man I was scummy in Day 2. I ended up voting for K, even though it was clear I had singled him out as innocent earlier, and actually had been going after Insomniac.

You know, the Morgrim thing actually posed a huge problem for Galz and me, because there were only 4 Morgrim voters! That narrows it down, I thought. Luckily the whole dialogue shifted suspicion to the people who hadn't voted Morgrim. That was... fortunate.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 01, 2012, 11:54:48 am »

I posted in the "void left by Mafia I" topic about my proposed setup for Mafia IV.  It's significantly different from Mafias I-III.  I'd be very interested to hear all of your thoughts on it.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32  All

Page created in 2.203 seconds with 20 queries.