Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Harvest Time  (Read 1809 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Harvest Time
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:23:09 am »

Ah, Harvest. One of Dominion's least-utilized cards. Really, though it's a terminal $5 card that usually produces $3, and often produces $4. It's truly a testament to how powerful the other $5s are that this card is held in such low regard.

Moving on, here's a game I just played where a Harvest-centered strategy got me 4 Provinces and 2 Duchies by Turn 14. http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/10/game-20120510-214854-cb36167e.html

Cards in supply: Adventurer, Cache, Counting House, Farming Village, Fortune Teller, Harvest, Outpost, Pearl Diver, Scout, and Throne Room

I am second player. We both open Silver/Silver, as there is absolutely nothing going on here. (Farming Village really makes Fortune Teller extra useless). The question is what to do with $5? The obvious thing, I think, is Cache/Counting House, which is where my opponent heads. But I am loathe to go Counting House, so I pick up a Harvest, then a Cache, and then another Harvest.

I wouldn't expect the two to synergize really, because Cache is giving you non-unique cards for the Harvest. And yet here's how my Harvest plays broke down:

For $2 -- Twice
For $3 -- Thrice
For $4 -- Twice

Well, that's decent, isn't it? Anyway, I'm sure my shuffle luck was pretty good here, but I thought the result was interesting and worth posting.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Time
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:41:55 am »

Yeah, Harvest is a bit underrated. But this is not the first time I've heard someone say farming village is a good counter to fortune teller. Which has to be just flat out wrong. IF you have a farming village when I have a FT, well then yeah, you negate my somewhat meager attack. But ... you just spent $4 for a village that you never plan on using for the bonus actions. So you might sift over a few cards but on average it has to hurt far more than it helps.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:04:55 am »

Yeah, Harvest is a bit underrated. But this is not the first time I've heard someone say farming village is a good counter to fortune teller. Which has to be just flat out wrong. IF you have a farming village when I have a FT, well then yeah, you negate my somewhat meager attack. But ... you just spent $4 for a village that you never plan on using for the bonus actions. So you might sift over a few cards but on average it has to hurt far more than it helps.

I mean, yeah, I agree with that. But... is Fortune Teller even worth it in the beginning? You are shuffling your opponent's deck and speeding things up for them. So I'm not convinced it's a good opening, unless top-decking Victory points is really going to hurt. I guess I would be inclined not to purchase it anyway, and the presence of Farming Village was just icing on the cake.

But I don't know. Is top-decking your opponent's Victory cards harmful enough to mitigate the service you are doing them by shuffling through their deck in the early game?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:05:27 am »

I mean, yeah, I agree with that. But... is Fortune Teller even worth it in the beginning? You are shuffling your opponent's deck and speeding things up for them. So I'm not convinced it's a good opening, unless top-decking Victory points is really going to hurt. I guess I would be inclined not to purchase it anyway, and the presence of Farming Village was just icing on the cake.

But I don't know. Is top-decking your opponent's Victory cards harmful enough to mitigate the service you are doing them by shuffling through their deck in the early game?

yes, yes it is.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 03:38:39 am »
+1

Fortune Teller is vastly underrated. It's only slightly worse than Militia in a money game (like 5%).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 03:45:30 am »

I recently used Harvest in a double Tactician Colony game.

It worked kind of OK, but deck control goes down the drain. You never know when you're discarding that second Tactician you need to draw.
Other helpers were Bazaar and Monument.

I'm not against Harvest, but drawing and discarding 4 can really screw with your reshuffles. If you play Harvest in your last hand of the draw with 3 or less cards remaining, you can wait a long time for it to appear again...

With Cartographer and Navigator you can at least discard 1 more so this gets you closer to your next reshuffle. I find Harvest's 4 to be somewhat more annoying than 5 or 3.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.702 seconds with 20 queries.