Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Conspirator or Grand Market?  (Read 2891 times)

Tuyolqx

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Conspirator or Grand Market?
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:15:48 pm »

I was wondering if you liked the $4 Conspirator or the $6 no Copper Grand Market?

Tuyolqx

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: Conspirator or Grand Market?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:20:19 pm »
+1

I was wondering if you liked the $4 Conspirator or the $6 no Copper Grand Market?

Tuyolqx

Well GM is definitely dominant, but I can see what you're thinking with the price differences and the purchase restrictions.

warrior297

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:23:49 pm »
+5

inb4 depends on the kingdom

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:32:52 pm »
+4

You forgot Mystic.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:06:52 pm »
+1

When both are out and you have a consistent engine, it's important to remember that 3 conspirator >ish 2 grand market.  And you get to use coppers if you have em.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:48:15 am »

GMs and activated Conspirators have similar effects when played, and they both require you to pursue a strategy that will allow you to set them up (getting GMs, activating Conspirators).  But in practice they're not so similar I think, because getting GMs and setting up Conspirators are really different "tasks" if you will, requiring different kinds of openings (well, often I think) and other different buys (Gold can be a necessary stepping stone to GMs, while you almost never want Gold in a Conspirator deck).  And they require you to adjust your strategy differently in the late game: with GM it's more about knowing when to stop buying more GMs and start greening, with Conspirator it's more about keeping the Conspirator chain moving along as you green, at least as best you can.

I guess what I'm saying is: they're actually hard to compare, because of these differences and perhaps more importantly their cost.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:50:18 am by jaybeez »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 03:27:19 am »
+2

If they're both in the kingdom, it's likely going to be a 3-pile ending (Conspirators, Grand Markets and Estates) so you need to have enough GMs to get the buys to clear out the 3rd pile whenever you're ahead. But getting 7 GMs is not easy and then you're looking at Provinces and Duchies.

This greening will make it harder for your Conspirators to activate so I'll probably get a bit more GMs than Conspirators as this allows you to control the game a little better and gives you better value in the end game.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tuyolqx

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 12:44:24 pm »
+2

If they're both in the kingdom, it's likely going to be a 3-pile ending (Conspirators, Grand Markets and Estates) so you need to have enough GMs to get the buys to clear out the 3rd pile whenever you're ahead. But getting 7 GMs is not easy and then you're looking at Provinces and Duchies.

This greening will make it harder for your Conspirators to activate so I'll probably get a bit more GMs than Conspirators as this allows you to control the game a little better and gives you better value in the end game.

I agree with you 100%
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.47 seconds with 21 queries.