Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Comeback: down 41-1 with no goons or alternate VP (except Black Market)...  (Read 1660 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
+1

This shows why you should never give up.

I was down 41-1 against lemonade (Level 45). He used a great Menagerie strategy using Develop's to get Menageries, fishing villages and young witches to form his hand, and black markets to get all his treasure out of his hand. He was drawing most of his deck and had 5 provinces in 17 turns. Another on turn 20 and 21 (with a duchy in between).

There was no alternate VP in the kingdom and only Monument for alternate VP.

The only reason I didn't resign was that I like to finish games to see how they log out.

The only thing I had going for me was drawing a Chapel early on from the Black Market. That let me build a tight deck where I could draw almost everything with alchemists. In theory I could build out a good engine, but there was no time. By the time I was ready there wasn't enough VP on the board to matter.

I did pick up a Fairgrounds early from the BM, so I thought I could at least get some points on the board by picking up a different BM card every turn. And I picked up a Monument so I could earn a VP/turn with that as well. Then a Bishop came out of the deck. I started using it to trash things for VP, but I had to be careful to keep my variety up for the Fairgrounds - and I didn't have enough cash to buy much each turn.

Then I pick up an Outpost so I can play my whole deck twice/turn.

Then I drew a Vineyards. I started going heavier on actions.

Turn 21:
lemonade buys the second last last province
ednever plays monument, bishop's a jester, buys a market and a menagerie; Plays Outpost: monument, bishop a chapel, duchy

Turn 22:
lemonade stalls and buys an estate; Outpost turn: buys a monument
ednever: Monument, bishop the duchy, buys shanty town, gold; Outpost: Bishop the gold, buys a Vineyard+Jester+Horsetraders

Turn 23:
lemondade buys an Estate
ednever: Monument, Bishop the Horsetraders, Buys a golem, horsetraders, fortune teller; Outpost (Still down by 8): Monument, Bishop the Fishing village, buys Province, Develop

Final score: 50-46
Fairgrounds: 8 points; Vineyards: 7 points; Province: 6 points; 29 VPs

I've never had a game remotely close to this.

I was completely outplayed, but by not giving up the pieces landed in the right place for a comeback. I still didn't think I was going to win on my last Outpost turn.

Here's the log:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/25/game-20120425-200956-83bb0f96.html

Ed
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:04:21 am by ednever »

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
Re: Comeback: down 41-1 with no goons or alternate VP...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:04:16 am »

Amazing. I have sympathy for your opponent though. :P

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Comeback: down 41-1 with no goons or alternate VP...
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:09:32 am »
+2

Very nice comeback. But your title is a bit misleading as you did in fact use a lot of alt VP's. It still counts when they come from the BM.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile

I have a lot of sympathy for lemonade. The game should have been his. Just a lot of luck and tenacity to keep it alive.

(Fixed the title so it wasn't misleading)

Ed

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile

Cool game. Your final deck composition is pretty funny.

Also, lemonade is female. (EDIT: Never mind, different person than I was thinking.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:09:46 am by ycz6 »

nightdance

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile

poor lemonade, but what an epic ending! Looks like a lot of skill from both players.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.869 seconds with 21 queries.