Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tough IRL Game  (Read 1220 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Tough IRL Game
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:58:29 pm »

Alright, I play with Base, Intrigue, Prosperity and Seaside IRL, and I use the included randomizer cards and here is the set we were dealt today:
Steward
Sea Hag
Cutpurse
Feast
Mountebank
Ghost Ship
Goons
Library
Hoard
King's Court
Platinum/Colony: Yes
4 Player game

I started with a cutpurse and a steward, hoping to thin my deck out, still get to 5 while hopefully cutting everyone else down from getting to 5.  the guy who won opened steward/feast which then later turned into a mountebank.  I see now that probably was the better open since people would be trashing coppers with steward, but I still think steward/cutpurse was a decent open.  Another player was trying ghost ships which actually never hurt me, they just allowed all of my non-terminals to never collide.  How would you open in this set?

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
Re: Tough IRL Game
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:27:32 pm »

I would open sea hag/ steward to get one or two curses in everyones deck before the mountebanks come out. Steward for trashing, albeit relatively weak. 

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:21:18 am »

I think I would follow with Sea Hag/Steward or Sea Hag/Silver with Steward on the first reshuffle.
Sea Hag can help lower the impact of Mountebank. Although Mountebank with Steward in hand is annoying.
Discard the Curse or get one + Copper and trash one? The latter at least helps Curses to go down quicker.

Important to note is that this is a Colony game, so it will go longer. Mountebank will do more damage in the long run.
I wonder if it's worth it to go for Hoard -> Province instead of Colonies.

Ghost Ships will really bring the game to a crawl, but you can't let your opponents get them and not get a few yourself.
Important thing to note is that there are no clear 2nd and 3rd piles to run out after the Curses.

However, if you start with the Duchies and Estates, your opponents will possibly follow you out of sheer panic and help you grab the victory, it is a 4p game after all so it may well domino: Bob goes after VPs, John goes after VPs, now Jill and Jack basically have to dip in as well or lose anyway.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:25:41 am »

I actually found that ghost ship never hurt me in this game, only one player went for them and it always helped me rather than hurt me.  I was able to put back terminal actions that I wasn't able to play so I could play them next turn.  I think my biggest downfall in this set was not buying a hoard or 2.  the guy who won bought a hoard instead of a gold, where I bought a gold first time I had 6.  This meant I didn't get that much money, and he did. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.271 seconds with 21 queries.