Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Challenge: Hypothetical Exception to the Rule  (Read 5521 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Challenge: Hypothetical Exception to the Rule
« on: May 05, 2012, 02:35:52 pm »

You throne room a nobles, knowing you want more cards. You may or may not also want more actions, you haven't decided yet. You obviously should take the cards first.

The challenge: invent the most reasonable, well-designed, balanced Dominion card that you can whose existence would change this rule of thumb.

Non-example: Ig $5 Treasure - Reaction +2 If you've throne roomed a Nobles this turn, and you said +2 Actions first, then you said +2 cards, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, gain 12 provinces.

mDuo13

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge: Hypothetical Exception to the Rule
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 02:54:20 pm »

This is tough.

My first attempt:
Action: When you draw this, you may play it immediately. If you do, $1 for every Action you have available. Otherwise: $1.

Another one. I like this better:
Action: When you draw this, if you have any Actions available, you may reveal it to play it immediately. Rearrange the top 4 cards of your deck.

Newcomer

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:30:03 pm »
+1

Really hard to judge how to balance this card.

Wizard
ACTION-REACTION     $5
-----
+1 Action
-----
When you would play an Action card for the second time in a turn, you may reveal this from your hand and discard it. If you do, instead of playing the card, +2 Cards, +$2, and each other player gains a Curse.

FAQ: playing for a second time includes playing a second copy and playing after Throne Room or King's Court. That card remains in play as if played. A King's Courted card still has its third play.

Edit: changed to when you would play an Action card. That's what I meant. Also not sure if discarding is the best choice. I'm trying to decide if that can be overly abused by re-drawing it, but since it only works the second time you play a card, and not subsequent times, I think it's okay.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:41:48 pm by Newcomer »

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 04:17:37 pm »
+1

While this is in play, whenever you are granted an action, gain a Silver, placing it on top of your deck.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 04:22:45 pm »

While this is in play, whenever you are granted an action, gain a Silver, placing it on top of your deck.
This makes "village idiot" happy.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:44:15 pm »
+2

This makes "village idiot" happy.

No way.  All those extra silvers clog up your village chain.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 05:48:29 pm »

Had a similar idea, which started with REACTION: "when you are granted an action, you may reveal this and.. (somehow mess the top of the deck)" but couldn't come up with a complete card.
Possibly your card could also have +1action +card ? (i.e. gets you Silver in hand :D).

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 06:35:40 pm »

Or something like "When you draw this, unless you have more than one action left, your action phase ends."
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 12:24:21 am »

Diadem.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 01:00:56 am »

Diadem.

I don't think this works.  The challenge is to invent a card that would make you want to choose +Actions first, and then +Cards after, rather than the other way around.

If you are going to choose both anyway, Diadem doesn't care about that order.  If it's in your hand already though, you might choose +Actions twice.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 01:17:37 am »
+1

Meadow
Victory-Action-Reaction
Cost: $3
Worth 1 Victory Point
+1 Card
-----
If you have more than one action available when you draw this, you may choose to reveal Meadow. If you do, +1 card
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 03:24:34 am »

This thread is a great example of how you can methodically explore the design space.  Galzria's suggestion is a very natural twist on Great Hall that fits well into Village-based draw engines.  Perhaps it could handle having the condition relaxed to at least one action, which still works for the puzzle and allows it to function with cantrip draw.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 05:07:19 am »

This thread is a great example of how you can methodically explore the design space.  Galzria's suggestion is a very natural twist on Great Hall that fits well into Village-based draw engines.  Perhaps it could handle having the condition relaxed to at least one action, which still works for the puzzle and allows it to function with cantrip draw.

I think the "when you draw this card" mechanic is a great idea and a very natural mirror to the already-existing "when you discard this card" mechanic (which is currently only used on Tunnel, as far as I can remember, but it's very late).

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 06:22:18 am »

Cantripped Idiot : $3
Action-Duration
This turn and next
When you play a card that gives you at least +1 action, look at the top card of your deck.
You may do one of the following actions to this card
Discard
Trash
Put back on your deck

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 06:52:16 am »

Adrienaline, that phrasing doesn't exactly work.
When you play a card - means it activates one you put the card down, before the effect takes place. But then, you do not know if Nobles (or Ironworks, or Pawn (technically even Xroads or Conspirators) etc) will grant you actions or not.

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 08:36:33 am »

Fair enough

How about When the effects of a card you have played this turn give you at least one action, you may look at the top card...etc

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 07:22:39 pm »

I can't help but wonder if there's any inherent problem with the whole mechanic of when you draw this... reaction. While playing in real life, you'd have to start carefully watching people as they draw cards, to make sure that they don't draw a card, and then reveal a different card that was already in their hand that said "when you draw this..." MTG just added this mechanic in the most recent set, actually (Miracle keyword). I wonder if they had any concerns about that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 12:32:09 pm »

MTG stuff:
Miracle activates only if it is the first card you've drawn. You are mostly drawing your first card on the start of your turn, so only then you need to draw slowly/carefully so that your opponent sees that you don't cheat.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.