Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scrying Pool + discarding for cash  (Read 2210 times)

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Scrying Pool + discarding for cash
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:03:44 am »

Yes, the basic combo is pretty obvious, but I did much more than just discard a hand full of actions for cash: I discarded *only* actions and redrew all of them again with Scrying Pool!  This might not come up too often, but there's nothing unique except the Scrying Pool. 

Absolutely needed cards:
Scrying Pool
Secret Chamber or Vault
Some Village effect

Possible without in theory, but likely needed in practice:
Warehouse or Cellar
Some trashing

Helpful:
Some +Buy, as you will get scads of cash. Hopefully not a terminal unless there are lots of card-drawing villages around.
Other drawing effects as needed

Trash your deck down to mostly actions and attempt to draw your entire deck using as few cards as possible.  You'll probably end up with some non-action rejects from Scrying Pool in your discard pile; use Warehouse or Cellar to draw these rejects, discarding only action cards.  If you're using Vault, you can leave two blanks in your deck before playing it.  Then play Secret Chamber or Vault, discarding the rest of your action cards except for a Scrying Pool.  Then play Scrying Pool, drawing up all those actions you've discarded, as you'll reshuffle having only actions in your discard.  Repeat for however many sets of Village/discard for money/Scrying Pool you have left.  And of course on the last iteration, discard the rest of the crap in your hand for even more cash.

I managed to get this engine working on a board with only Salvager for trashing.  I messed up twice and could have had turns twice as big as I did if I just paid attention to what I was doing.  Once, I discarded the Scrying Pool I was supposed to play, stranding all my actions in the discard.  Another time I didn't draw the last card of my deck before Scrying (and I could have by playing Worker's Village), thinking that I'd pass by it with Scrying Pool and it would be out of the way to draw the rest of the deck; what actually happened was the green card got reshuffled with the actions and came back on top, again stranding all my actions.  Since the board had Vineyards, I was able to use my potions to snatch up enough VP without the monster amount of money I had expected to get and still won easily, but if I had to compete for provinces those would have been fatal errors.

Most attacks will mess with it, although as is typical the more trashing there is the more resilient you will be; if you can trash all your non-actions besides a potion (or two?) you can shrug off hand-size reduction as long as you have a Scrying Pool.  I don't know how viable of a strategy it is compared to the other options, but when I discovered what exactly I could do that game with cards that already worked well together, it was almost like reaching enlightenment.
Stop reading my signature.

snappy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Scrying Pool + discarding for cash
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:12:01 am »

very similar to the library/vault combo ... http://dominionstrategy.com/2010/11/16/combo-of-the-day-10-vaultlibrary/

hamlet is an excellent source of the +buy and +action.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:32:42 am »

Cool beans, I've never seen that Scrying Pool combo before  ;D

(I tend to pass over the card because it leads to really fiddly, long turns... not because I don't think it's strong.)

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:28:35 pm »

I stumbled across this combo a couple weeks ago when I pulled secret chamber out of the BM deck in a scrying pool deck in this game.

Elyv plays a Secret Chamber.
   ... discarding a Monument, an Apothecary, a Saboteur, a Lighthouse, a Familiar, 5 Conspirators, 2 Black Markets, a Woodcutter, 3 Cities, and 3 Scrying Pools for +$19.

I can't imagine how absurd it'd be if vault/secret chamber were actually in the kingdom.

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 02:34:38 am »

I've done this... with deck thinning you can do it every turn for ridiculous amounts of cash.  Play one scrying pool to draw your entire deck, then go nuts, dropping all your cards but a scrying pool every time you play a vault or SC.  If you're going for green cards, they stop you from having pure action decks, but throw goons in there and...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.629 seconds with 20 queries.