Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Does Black Market let you spend coin tokens?  (Read 2435 times)

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
Does Black Market let you spend coin tokens?
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:21:04 pm »

Is Black Market's mid-Actions buy-a-card effect a real Buy Phase that happens out-of-order, or is it just that you can play treasures and buy a card as if it were the buy phase but it's not actually the buy phase? Coin Tokens can only be spent during the Buy Phase (and butcher), so if it's not a real buy phase, then I think that means you can't spend them for Black Market. The FAQ for Black Market doesn't really answer this, but it has wording that implies it's not really a buy phase:

"... allows you to Buy a card during the Action phase," implies that it's not the game phase itself that changes, but what actions are allowed within each phase.

"... just as you would during the Buy phase," implies it's not really the Buy Phase, by the principle of the exception proving the rule.

"A card bought during the Action phase does not count as a card bought during your Buy phase" seems the most direct, but I'm pretty sure that's just talking about consuming +buy.

The Guilds rulebook has no mention of Black Market.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Does Black Market let you spend coin tokens?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »
+2

Is Black Market's mid-Actions buy-a-card effect a real Buy Phase that happens out-of-order, or is it just that you can play treasures and buy a card as if it were the buy phase but it's not actually the buy phase?

It is not the buy phase; it's still the action phase.

Coin Tokens can only be spent during the Buy Phase (and butcher), so if it's not a real buy phase, then I think that means you can't spend them for Black Market.

I believe this is correct.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:24:57 pm »
+4

The Guilds rulebook has no mention of Black Market.

...But this is not true. The Guilds rulebook says:

"[Coin tokens] cannot be spent when buying a card via the promotional card Black Market."

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 12:26:34 pm »
+5

i am a little surprised you used another wiki for information. our wiki is far more complete, and it also happens to provide an answer for your specific question.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:37:31 pm »
+3

i am a little surprised you used another wiki for information. our wiki is far more complete, and it also happens to provide an answer for your specific question.
And it also actually looks like a wiki.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.237 seconds with 21 queries.