Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How many (meaningful) possible Kingdoms are there?  (Read 3596 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
How many (meaningful) possible Kingdoms are there?
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:10:55 am »

So, with all the sets that are out there now; the possible number of different games you could play is insanely huge. Even if you don't count different Black Market setups. But, many of these games are so similar to each other that they may as well be the same. After all, it's rare (if ever) that all 10 Kingdom cards matter.

So, about how many different games of Dominion are there? I mean, if you have Ironworks, Chapel, and Garden present; there's probably only a few different configurations that matter for the rest of the cards; the majority of the Kingdom will be ignored by decent players.

Obviously it's subjective, and matters how specific you choose to be with your categories. But what do you guys think? What are some high-level categories; and how many different meaningful Kingdoms in each category?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
Re: How many (meaningful) possible Kingdoms are there?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:18:45 am »
+1

Enough.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:31:56 am »
+2

Enough.
I was going to post the exact same thing.
The I realized I want more cards.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:21:41 pm »

Enough.
Enough to keep me busy for a LONG time.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »

I don't think you're asking a useful question.  There's at least tens of thousands of meaningful kingdoms.  We won't run out of kingdoms. 

I think a better question is, "what proportion of all possible kingdoms are duplicate" a proportion that can tell you, as you play a large number of games how high do the odds of hitting a repeat kingdom get.

Measuring what loses to BM/X is a good start.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:20:54 pm »

There was a thread at one point where someone tried to classify different kingdoms or strategies. I can't find it, though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:28:01 pm »

Just in case there was any misconception; I certainly wasn't trying to say "sure there's a lot of possible Kingdoms, but there's not really than many different ones." I'm quite sure the number is still quite huge; more than anyone will play in a lifetime.

popsofctown said it best I think... the question is what is the proportion of Kingdoms that are similar enough that the differences don't matter. Along the same lines, about how many of the 10 cards define the game? Is there any possible set where all 10 cards matter; and you couldn't replace any one of them without changing the best strategy? I doubt it. But what about 7, or 8 of the cards?

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:36:46 pm »
+1

popsofctown said it best I think... the question is what is the proportion of Kingdoms that are similar enough that the differences don't matter. Along the same lines, about how many of the 10 cards define the game? Is there any possible set where all 10 cards matter; and you couldn't replace any one of them without changing the best strategy? I doubt it. But what about 7, or 8 of the cards?

I think the answer to this is yes; consider the well-developed kingdoms used in the DS tournament.  I don't think you're likely to get something like that randomly, and I'm thinking you're looking at <0.001% of all possible kingdoms.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:52 pm »

There are definitely many kingdoms where all the cards matter, and I play them fairly frequently. Maybe half a percent of the time, all of the kingdom cards are quite conceivably important, even if because of the particular strategies/draws, some of them don't end up getting bought.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:51:33 pm »

Just in case there was any misconception; I certainly wasn't trying to say "sure there's a lot of possible Kingdoms, but there's not really than many different ones." I'm quite sure the number is still quite huge; more than anyone will play in a lifetime.

Are you having a silly moment and forgetting Cornucopia entirely?  A Fairgrounds kingdom where you'll trash all your estates and coppers, or just your estates with some disdain for Duchies, easily uses all 10.  And if you're building a Horn of Plenty engine you can use all the cards that are functionally similar with different names to help trigger Horn, like mixing Walled Village and Villages, so that's not hard either.

I don't mean it's easy for me to name that kingdom right now, but I think Cornucopia makes it clear that there definitely exists several kingdoms where you couldn't change any one of them without changing the best strategy.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 05:03:24 pm »

Are you having a silly moment and forgetting Cornucopia entirely?  A Fairgrounds kingdom where you'll trash all your estates and coppers, or just your estates with some disdain for Duchies, easily uses all 10.  And if you're building a Horn of Plenty engine you can use all the cards that are functionally similar with different names to help trigger Horn, like mixing Walled Village and Villages, so that's not hard either.

I don't mean it's easy for me to name that kingdom right now, but I think Cornucopia makes it clear that there definitely exists several kingdoms where you couldn't change any one of them without changing the best strategy.

But that's exactly the point he was making.  In the games you've described, the dominant strategy is Fairgrounds and HoP, respectively.  Yes you use all the cards because you need that variety, but the specific cards you use don't really matter.  So a game with HoP, Walled Village and Village (plus other cards) is very similar to a game with HoP, Worker's Village and Mining Village, if you are only using the villages to trigger the HoP.  You can swap out many of those components without changing the best strategy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.219 seconds with 21 queries.