Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Mustard's Bracket Round 6  (Read 13486 times)

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Mustard's Bracket Round 6
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »

Well, first things first, was anyone planning on replacing Dubdubdubdub, and if not then I suggest that we simply remove that spot in the tournament. Also, welcome back Greystripe! I encourage you to catch up on your past matches as quickly as possible. With that being said, here are the missing matches from previous rounds, as well as this weeks matchups.
Round 2- Greystripe77 vs. DG
Round 3- Greystripe77 vs. fit1one
Round 4- elahrairah13 vs. Greystripe77, Angboy vs. JanErik, Mangsky vs. Geronimoo
Round 5-elahrairah13 vs. DG, blueblimp vs. Masticore, Arjanb vs. JanErik, Mangsky vs. Luliin, Nucleus vs. MrEevee

So this week is Cornucopia! Players have the option to use four cards instead of 6 from this set. Have fun!

Atlantic
andwilk vs. Young Nick
elahrairah13 vs. fit1one
Greystripe77 vs. Jonts26
Kirian vs. DG

Eastern America
blueblimp vs. Wandering Winder
zxcvbn2 vs. Robz888
Voltaire vs. Masticore
angrybirds vs. Mic Qsenoch

Central Europe
Tonks77 vs. Fabian
AngBoy vs. Lekkit
JanErik vs. StickaRicka
ArjanB vs. ugasoft

Eurasia
luliin vs. Geronimoo
lespeutere vs. Mangsky
Rabid vs. Nucleus
MrEevee- Bye unless I hear something about a replacement for Dubdubdubdub
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
Re: Mustard's Bracket Round 6
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:18:22 am »

Well, first things first, was anyone planning on replacing Dubdubdubdub,

See here. Since then everybody's been waiting for approval by MMM (first) or anybody else feeling in charge (later).

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:10:39 am »

Nucleus seems to be missing too.

ugasoft

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:01:39 pm »

ugasoft beats arjanB 4-3 ... logs tomorrow

anyway, really bad matches!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:06:27 am »

zxcvbn2 beats me, Robz888, 3 wins for him, 2 wins for me, and 2 ties. This was something of a disappointment for me, as I needed to really crush him here to have a shot at winning my bracket. I noticed myself making a few errors; I don't know if he made as many. Our strategies were often similar, but he may have played with more finesse. I was certainly impressed at the huge leads he seemed to take in every game. I only got to go first twice! He went first after both the ties.

By the way, I have loved IsoDom Challenge. Playing with many cards from certain sets has been quite a treat, especially this week and with Alchemy. Onto the games...

zxcvbn2 11 - 23 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-182219-799907d2.html
Well, I think I really did outplay him here. I like my Cutpurse/Silver opening much better than his Fortune Teller/Farming Village. I set up a better, quicker Torturer chain, grab a Province, and head for Duchies, eying the Dukes. This was a blowout, and maybe it made me overconfident!

zxcvbn2 44 - 44 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-183616-f390409e.html
A Young Witch game where Treasury + King's Court is pretty much the only available great play. I think we both made mistakes here; I bought a late Gold that I wish was a Duchy, and I believe he did the same with King's Court. Anyway, I have to grab the last Duchy to eek out the tie.

zxcvbn2 49 - 29 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-184249-ae590164.html
He annihilates me in this Tournament game. He gets Golds on Turns 5, 6, and 7, and then a Province on 8. I know I'm in trouble, so I look for Engine pieces with Menagerie, Horse Traders, Fishing Village, but it's too late. I know I played badly, but I don't think I could have done much, really.

Robz888 37 - 46 zxcvbn2 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-185218-99b07f75.html
This was an interesting one. Wharf was important, and we bought loads of them, but with no extra +action. We also got Haggler. I picked up Young Witch but never really played it. He had Swindler, the Bane. Well, the end game was really fun. He was ahead a couple points, but Duchies and Estates were totally out. So whoever got the last Province would win, and our decks were wrecked with Green. We spent 10 full turns buying up money to get to a place where we could afford that Province. There was nothing else to do. Actually, he could have slowly bought out any given pile to end the game, but how was he to know he'd have 10 turns to do that? I finally draw $8... but so does he (before me), and that's that.

Robz888 26 - resigned zxcvbn2 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-185953-50e25623.html
He skips the Potion opening, and I head that direction to go Scrying Pool. There's plenty of nice stuff, and Hamlet for buys. I think he plans on just doing Hunting Party, because that's decently fast by itself. Well, Mint helps me a lot, I am crushing him, and he sensibly resigns.

zxcvbn2 28 - 28 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-190746-292b1c0b.html
A Sea Hag battle where I win the Curse war but he does better on purchasing power, and picks up a bunch of Governors, winning that war 7-3. Yikes! He even grabs a Followers, just to deny me the awesome hands his Governors give me with the +cards. With one Province left, I am down 15 points. Thankfully, I finally get all my Governors, use them to draw a nice hand, and I buy Province + Duchy + Remake a Remake and a Sea Hag into 2 Duchies. And we tie!

zxcvbn2 42
- 30 Robz888 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-191439-9efc2f31.html
I think I may have misplayed here. My early Vault really boosts his Tunnels, because he gets to discard when I do. He draws pretty well to be able to do that, but yeah, I think I misplayed. He gets more Tunnels, more Golds, and sort of destroys me.

Thanks for a great series! I need to destroy my opponent next week.... ;)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »

My thoughts:
Game 1: I don't know what I was thinking with Fortune Teller there. I think your move was probably the best. I also wasn't planning on the Duchy rush to end the game.
Game 2: I'm not sure I made a mistake there. I did get to use that KC at least once, which led to me buying a four point Farmland (Curse into Estate).
Game 3: This is mostly just shuffle luck, I think, but I don't understand the HT in a tournament game. I feel like in a province rush it is worse than a Tournament early on. I could be wrong.
Game 4: This was crazy. Just one Victory card left on Turn 21, and I don't get that province until Turn 31 (and looking at your hand, you would have gotten it that very turn if I hadn't. None of the piles were really close to running out, else I would have tried. I probably bought coppers when I shouldn't have, but I just had so many green cards it was frustrating. A really fun one.
Game 5: I don't really get HP working, he's able to trash five coppers for his Scrying Pool deck, it worked really well for him.
Game 6: I wonder if I should've gained a Duchy with my tournament instead of a followers that last turn. I was able to force you to discard 5 cards, but only gained 13 points when I could've gained 15. That was a fun one and I was really surprised to find out we tied after that last turn. Very well played.
Game 7: I think mostly shuffle luck won this for me. Though your vaults did help me.

These were all really fun and it was really exciting at the end of some of these games, especially game four. Thanks a lot for playing!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:21:26 pm by zxcvbn2 »
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:08:52 pm »

No reply from Nucleus yet.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 01:16:49 pm »

lespeutere vs Mangsky 5-1-1 (i.e. 11 - 3 points)
We played with 6 cornucopia cards, got to see hunting party as a crucial card several times.

lespeutere - Mangsky 0-1-0
46 - 56
Well, hamlets and menageries are not enough in the long run. I should've got more hunting parties. I switch to fairgrounds but my engine is too small, i.e. there is essentially too little of everything. And then I have 2 dead turns which is game over.

lespeutere - Mangsky 1-1-0
25 - 18
I skip remake to go for hunting party and am lucky enough to get it on t4 AND a forge on t5. I don't hesitate to buy provinces and I manage to keep my lead by forging most of my useful cards into provinces.

lespeutere - Mangsky 2-1-0
24 - 15
Another HP game. While Mangsky gets an early gold (t5) I stick to HPs and manage to split them 7/3 in my favour. Then we both add some hamlets and more bridges and it's obvious to me that this one should be ended on piles. He said afterwards he didn't see it which explains why he kept on buying hamlets on the last turns.

lespeutere - Mangsky 3-1-0
44 - -100
No HP, yay!! Tournament instead. I open silver/remake to have a higher tournament/province density sacrificing speed. I add some caravans and wishing wells for cycling (not 100% sure WWs are desirable here; at least they do speed things up as long as my deck is small and I know what to expect from my cards in the drawing pile). I have tournament and province combined first going for followers but Mangsky gets trusty steed. 1 province off the end Mangsky resigns.

lespeutere - Mangsky 4-1-0
40 - 27
I start silver/remake while he goes swindler/remake. The swindler does not do too much harm to my deck, essentially cause there are no cards I can't make any use of. We both kind of go for tunnels but I feel I do it more determined. There are two means here (farming village and horse traders) and both together work pretty well with menagerie. Mangsky opts for card draw via laboratories while I go FV/HT/menagerie. When Mangsky swindles my laboratory into a duchy on my penultimate turn I feel safe and take it home.

lespeutere - Mangsky 5-1-0
49 - 41
This is the one I'm most proud of. For whatever reason I decide to start horse traders/silver while he goes tournament/silver. Well, my idea is to make sure to hit 5$ for a witch. Which I do. But he does, as well. Long story short, we split curses 3/7 and he starts to buy provinces. They do not connect very well with his tournaments but curses are gone, anyway. So I decide my only chance is vineyards. While he mostly sticks to provinces and tries to grab more money and tournaments to get provinces and connect them to the tournaments (which he does 3 times, only, in a total 29 turns - must have been unlucky) I go for some farming villages, lots of hamlets, some potions and finally manage to overtake him. As I said, he must've got unlucky but I still felt very well after this one.

lespeutere - Mangsky 5-1-1
37 - 37
I lose the curse split from young witches 4/6 and fall behind clearly. However, I manage to come back yet again due to his underestimation of fairgrounds. I decide to tie our final game with estate and the last province and I don't want to risk a loss here which he only needed to buy the last province for. He had 2 farming villages and a gold in hand, so he just needed to hit some hunting parties to reach e.g. harvest so I think it was the right move there.

It was fun although a little less hunting (parties) would not have diminished fun. Thanks for the match, and good luck for your upcoming matches.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 09:09:51 pm »
+1

andwilk defeats Young Nick 4-3 (8 pts - 6 pts)

Game 1: andwilk 39 - 31 Young Nick (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-172640-f0b7ff69.html)
His Amb/Amb opening collides a lot in the early game.  We both buy our first Province on turn 12, but I hit with a Tournament first and gain Followers.  I also hit him with a few KC/Ambs and fill his deck with junk and it is too much to recover from.

Game 2: andwilk 66 - 37 Young Nick (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-173544-f5521395.html)
Another KC/Tournament game.  Again I hit with Province first and gain Followers, and following that up with two KC/Followers plays later in the game.

Game 3: andwilk 47 - 46 Young Nick (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-174250-99571de2.html)
Starting this game in second position, and seeing the board was basically HP/Big Money, I open with a Smugglers hoping to add important pieces to my deck at a faster rate.  This works out great and I also use the Smugglers to win by smuggling a Duchy on my final turn and buying the final Colony and an Estate to eke out a close win.

Game 4: andwilk 24 - 37 Young Nick (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-174841-aa98b6e2.html)
Jester has his way with me in this one... I've never seen Jester hit so many green cards and other curses.  His Jesters handed me all 10 curses by the game's end.

Game 5: andwilk 25 - 42 Young Nick (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-175851-b3d05ad0.html)
He sets up a nice Scheme+Goons engine up early and I stay behind the entire game.

Game 6: andwilk 34 - 23 Young Nick (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-180301-ca802686.html)
Hunting Parties supporting Baron/Estate.  I get better draws + first turn advantage.

Game 7: andwilk 51- 52 Young Nick (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/02/game-20120502-181248-c6aa39ed.html)
One of the more interesting sets in this match.  Fairgrounds play a big role here.  We both go for Village/draw decks using Nobles for draw which I win 5-3 but he uses Horse Traders better and has more variety in my deck.  I checked the score during his final turn and noted that all I needed was the final Fairgrounds to win.  I didn't realize, however, that his final turn Mandarin buy boosted his Fairgrounds to 6 VP each and I bought that final Fairgrounds anyways.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:09:14 pm by andwilk »

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »
+1

Just a quick few notes: Except for game 4, and maybe game 7, we pursued very similar strategies most of the games. I was pretty ticked during games 1 and 2 because we played such a similar game. Game 3 I feel I was outplayed, for sure.
Game 4 certainly had some lucky Jestering involved, but I also felt like I was able to play Jester so many times that even hitting Copper would have given me an easy win.
Game 5 was just a matter of setting up Scheme/Goons. I got there first, it's unclear if I actually saw it first. Another one I will chalk up to luck.
Game 6 was another HP game. Nothing doing.
Game 7 was a very interesting one. andwilk's problem probably had to do with the fact that my Fairgrounds changed value so much. They were 6 points for a while until I trashed my last Mining Village. This gave him a false sense of security, and when I purchased a Mandarin to put me back up to 15 unique cards, I was coasting.

In general, this series made me realize how much I dislike Tournament. What a brutal card. I don't like to open with it, but andwilk did and he killed me because of it. KC also is so swingy, I think my first 5 KC's missed in game 2. I didn't have that many actions, but jeez, the first five? I was shaking my fist at the skies for sure! Also, this set reminds me of why I don't like HP much either.

I guess I don't like Cornucopia that much at all? I thought I loved each and every Dominion card, but I really was put in a sour mood by this set. I'm just being a baby, I figure, but luck definitely helped and hurt both of us very much in the series.

ugasoft

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:50:19 am »
+1

Kirian, I beg you to update challonge for Central Europe Division... I want to see my name in top (temporary) position, before Fabian plays :)

I need a new desktop wallpaper ^_^

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 10:43:42 am »

I still haven't got any reply from Mangsky regarding angboy (who I cannot find on the forums) and I know luliin hasn't heard from him either.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 11:54:28 am »

I played Mangsky yesterday and he's been active on the forum, too.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 03:02:02 pm »

Kirian, I beg you to update challonge for Central Europe Division... I want to see my name in top (temporary) position, before Fabian plays :)

Just photoshop that "6" into a "5" and it'll make a fine wallpaper ;)

ugasoft

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 05:39:47 pm »

Just photoshop that "6" into a "5" and it'll make a fine wallpaper ;)

eheh, no, no cheat allowed :)

Anyway neither the math can help me: if you score less-or-equal than 3 points (ROFL), then Tonks77 will score greater-or-equal than 11 overtaking me... I'm doomed :P

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 03:02:38 pm »

blueblimp vs WanderingWinder 3-3-1 (7 points to each)

Very interesting set of games. Many of these featured differing strategies. Will post comments in a subsequent post.

Game 1: WanderingWinder 12 - blueblimp -100
Game 2: blueblimp 30 - WanderingWinder 26
Game 3: WanderingWinder 43 - blueblimp 43
Game 4: blueblimp 25 - WanderingWinder 30
Game 5: blueblimp 48 - WanderingWinder 69
Game 6: blueblimp 32 - WanderingWinder 28
Game 7: WanderingWinder 21 - blueblimp 30

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 03:34:27 pm »
+1

Game 1: Ambassador. Hamlet/Menagerie. Highway. Library. Village. Engine.
Swindler and Fortune teller? Not so important, but I use them as more unique sources of cash. He basically didn't have a chance in this game - I played reasonably well and got pretty good luck, and that was that. I drain my deck of cards, then start getting menagerie and some more hamlets. I have to stop to get money, but it's not a big deal. One 'brary, pile on the highways. It doesn't look like I had a massive lead from my score, but next turn I could either buy like 6 provinces OR three pile to end.
Game 2: Ambassador. Again. He opts for minion support. I go for HT/Menagerie/Fishing Village/Tournament stuff. Both things work pretty well, but my economy takes a good while to get off the ground. By game's end, we're each doing well better than a province per hand. I have +buys. Make a huge mistake of breaking PPR, though my chances to catch up weren't magnificent. They were ok though.
Game 3: Young witch with a smugglers bane. I go Smugglers/Ironworks, looking to bust out for some islands madness. He picks up a YW. After a point, he heads for duchies (duke fueled) and does quite well on them. I steal a couple and head for a long game with Provinces. I make buy an estate on the penultimate turn when I know he has a smugglers in hand, he smuggles and buys the pile out for a tie. Though as it turns out, he had $8 the turn after, so this is not such a bad thing...
Game 4: More Ambassadors! I get caught up trying to maintain enough fishing villages at some point (watchtowers were also available). His Jesters go TO TOWN and I don't have much any compensation. But I prep myself for some council rooms and get very lucky on the last turn to draw up and have just enough for a triple-province, double-duchy thanks to HoP, to end it in my favour.
Game 5: Masquerade bane. Tournaments, but also colonies. I spike a province on turn 6. Then on turn 8, with three cards left in my draw deck, I haven't seen the province yet, so I top-deck a tournament via royal seal. Well, I'm not sure if taking trusty steed was right or not. It works out, though the game was closer than the score indicates (I nevertheless felt pretty safe after my nice opening).
Game 6: He opens trade route/hamlet, which I think has to be a mistake, but I go too heavy on money with hamlets, menageries, trade routes, and peddlers available in this colony game. I get a big big curse war win thanks to my two witches, but I can't slam the door quite fast enough, and he roars back to win.
Game 7: I go pretty straight double-jack. He goes for governor/possession. In the critical 2nd-3rd reshuffles, I get too many 6s, not enough 8s and such, and so I don't green quickly enough, and as he gets a touch of draw luck (me having my worst initial 5 after one of his possessions, always having a governor to take him up to draw the possession, as well as the aforementioned lack of my greening speed), he wins. Even with haven, I like my strategy a touch more than his here, but that is what I was worried about.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 03:44:30 pm »

Comments:

Game 1: Obviously it's necessary to win Amb tennis here. We both open Amb/Amb. I'm 2nd player; his don't collide; mine do. From there it's pretty tough going and eventually his engine is so far ahead that I resign.

I'm not sure Amb/Amb was the best opening here, because a quick Library would have been a big help. The correct order to buy engine components was really not obvious either, especially since you're worrying about Ambs.

Game 2: Amb is here again, and again it looks required. We both have 5/2, and I opt to open Minion/- instead of Amb/-, picking up an Amb after the reshuffle. My reasoning was that it'd be hard to pick up a Minion later, and as a non-terminal cycler, it might help me play Amb more. This seems to work out alright, and together with the aid of 1st-player advantage, I get in a pretty good position, having nearly all the Minions and splitting the Fishing Villages 6/4. WW pulls some nice moves later on, particularly picking up Horse Traders, which I erred in ignoring as later I kept hitting massive $ counts without +buy. So it actually ended quite close.

Game 3: This game was strange. With Duke present, I wanted to win the Duchy split if I could. Also, Young Witch is here, with Smugglers as Bane. And Ironworks+Island! Lots of things going on.

WW opens Smugglers/Ironworks into mass island, and I open Smugglers/Young Witch, hoping to sneak some curses past his bane. I don't have much experience with Ironworks/Island, but I don't like Ironworks/GH as a combo, so I skipped it. Anyway, this game is a mess, and somehow ends in a tie after he gets 7 Islands and I get 6 Duchies.

Game 4: Amb again! A Fishing Village/Watchtower engine is available, and Jester adds complications. We both add Council Rooms to our engines too. As 1st player, I'm in good shape and split the FVs 6/4. Victory looks nearly certain, but WW pulls off a crazy 3x Province 2x Duchy HoP-fueled megaturn to pull ahead.

Game 5: The least interesting game. A Colony game where Masq+BM is basically dominant, except for the slight wrinkle of Tournament being available. I considered skipping it because Masq seems like a decent counter to Followers, but anyway we both went for them. His Tournaments connect better, and that's that.

Game 6: It's a Colony game. I want Peddlers and open Hamlet/Trade Route to get them. WW decides to instead get Witch to spam me with Curses, and I hoped my TRs could deal with that. Menagerie is available, so I transition into a Menagerie/Hamlet engine.

There is danger of sudden 3-pile on Peddlers, Curses, and Hamlets, so WW takes an early Duchy on turn 10. Turns out to have been too early as he didn't have enough +buys to comfortably run out the Hamlets himself. My engine is a bit unreliable because of the Curses, but it manages to get me VP in time and gives me plenty of buys to control the endgame, leading to a win.

Game 7: This looks almost like a Jack board, and WW opts to play doublejack. But I am so tempted by the presence of a Governor/Possession combo enabled by Lookout trashing. I open Jack/Lookout so that I can trash quickly while getting enough buying power for Governors, then pick up a single Possession. The draws are good enough that I pull out a narrow victory, getting the last Province just when I need it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 05:09:47 pm »

DG 6 : 1 Kirian. The jester showed up in most games and gave me most of the luck seemingly. I can't give an accurate assessment of some of them since they were quite messy and I wasn't entirely aware of everything going on.

DG 30 : 22 Kirian http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/06/game-20120506-120537-75f1c261.html
DG 42 : 35 Kirian http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/06/game-20120506-122546-19e9669d.html
DG 32 : 46 Kirian http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/06/game-20120506-124055-5b218bd9.html
DG 54 : 39 Kirian http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/06/game-20120506-125303-28fc0f05.html
DG 43 : 33 Kirian http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/06/game-20120506-130739-0911b2f8.html
DG 42 : XX Kirian http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/06/game-20120506-131752-2d068351.html
DG 45 : 36 Kirian http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/06/game-20120506-133417-7e1b988d.html

First Game : Not sure how I won this one. I completely missed a useful tunnel from the black market and then saw Kirian harness some hunting parties and masquerade. Perhaps I got more use from crossroads and peddlars, separately.
Second Game : Clash of strategies again. Kirian went for a reasonable looking tactician/tournament strategy while I went for a fast cycling upgrade deck that always ran out of cards (don't try this at home). I'm guessing a mix of the two would be best. Again I got the final push in a close endgame.
Third Game : Big deck game with universities and philosopher's stone. I tried to keep my deck clean with lighthouses and traders but it never worked so Kirian was able to power on with tournaments for a clear win.
Fourth Game : Jester game with only minor variations between us. On reflection the nobles could have been skipped entirely, maybe, not sure. First turn win for me anyway.
Fifth Game : Remake draws seemed to push me further ahead here but perhaps I got an edge by taking the fishing village later as well. I gained a massive lead that seemed to shrink when Kirian took all the duchies but again my deck did enough to win a close game.
Sixth Game : A quick embargo on hunting parties gave me a good advantage over Kirian's conspirator and then my trader broke for the embargo for me. My only clear win out of the six.
Seventh Game : I took jester a bit earlier in this good jester kingdom. Other than that we're still looking at similar strategies with my deck pulling out a close win.

I'll offer my apologies to our host for that series really as he deserved more. Thanks for the games and running the series.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 11:27:32 pm »

First Game : Not sure how I won this one. I completely missed a useful tunnel from the black market and then saw Kirian harness some hunting parties and masquerade. Perhaps I got more use from crossroads and peddlars, separately.
Second Game : Clash of strategies again. Kirian went for a reasonable looking tactician/tournament strategy while I went for a fast cycling upgrade deck that always ran out of cards (don't try this at home). I'm guessing a mix of the two would be best. Again I got the final push in a close endgame.
Third Game : Big deck game with universities and philosopher's stone. I tried to keep my deck clean with lighthouses and traders but it never worked so Kirian was able to power on with tournaments for a clear win.
Fourth Game : Jester game with only minor variations between us. On reflection the nobles could have been skipped entirely, maybe, not sure. First turn win for me anyway.
Fifth Game : Remake draws seemed to push me further ahead here but perhaps I got an edge by taking the fishing village later as well. I gained a massive lead that seemed to shrink when Kirian took all the duchies but again my deck did enough to win a close game.
Sixth Game : A quick embargo on hunting parties gave me a good advantage over Kirian's conspirator and then my trader broke for the embargo for me. My only clear win out of the six.
Seventh Game : I took jester a bit earlier in this good jester kingdom. Other than that we're still looking at similar strategies with my deck pulling out a close win.

I'll offer my apologies to our host for that series really as he deserved more. Thanks for the games and running the series.

My take:

Game 1:  DG buys his Tactician two shuffles earlier, and plays it two more times.  That's a big boost.  A T3 Tactician instead of HP might have won the game for me.  For some reason neither of us goes Double-Tactician-Black Market.
Game 2:  DG buys a second YW and second Upgrade earlier, and I get bogged down by Curses while he doesn't.  A 20-card difference in deck size at endgame is gigantic.
Game 3:  8-point Fairgrounds helped a lot here, and I think my decision to specifically go after them was the win here.
Game 4:  As DG says, a first-player advantage win.
Game 5:  DG Remakes his Estates by T6; I Remake my first Estate on T9.  That seals it IMO.
Game 6:  DG masterfully outplays me here, no question.
Game 7:  DG's Jester hits discards my first Gold, and my luck deteriorates from there.

I disagree with DG; I think he played better in the first two games, though not to the impressive extent of Game 6.  And no apologies necessary, man!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Stick In The Mud

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 02:43:24 am »

I (fit1one) have sent pm to opponent a few days ago . Waiting on a reply .
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.869 seconds with 20 queries.