Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Question for Donald or anyone who might know.  (Read 7319 times)

Toblakai

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Question for Donald or anyone who might know.
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:15:28 pm »
+2

I've read that there are a planned number for expansions for Dominion.  I'm wondering if once they are all complete will there be a collectors edition released that contains all the expansions in one? 
Perhaps with some extra features like a hard cover carrying case to keep them in, and nicer cards stock like, Bicycle Playing Cards or this game I purchased recently http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/penny-arcade-game-gamers-vs-evil
Oh and if Donald is out there, one other feature that I would really like to see in a collector edition. Instead of the current randomizer deck, have a sheet that assigns a 3 digit number to all the cards in the game.  The 1st digit can be the expansion number.  The next two digits assign a number to each card.  Then all you need is 3 dice to randomize your game.  Also, if you want to bias towards a certain expansion, Well then just roll two dice x number of times picking only from that set.  It would save on the number of cards that need printing, and you wont have bone heads like me accidentally cleaning up the randomizer card into the kingdom pile so that card never gets picked anymore.  That, and I'm just not good at shuffling a deck of 132+. *queue LMFAO*   
If this never happens I'll probably just buy all the expansions and build my own container to keep them all in, but I'd much rather get the finished product.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:24:28 pm by Toblakai »

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Donald or anyone who might know.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:30:58 pm »

I've read that there are a planned number for expansions for Dominion.  I'm wondering if once they are all complete will there be a collectors edition released that contains all the expansions in one? 
Perhaps with some extra features like a hard cover carrying case to keep them in, and nicer cards stock like, Bicycle Playing Cards or this game I purchased recently http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/penny-arcade-game-gamers-vs-evil
Oh and if Donald is out there, one other feature that I would really like to see in a collector edition. Instead of the current randomizer deck, have a sheet that assigns a 3 digit number to all the cards in the game.  The 1st digit can be the expansion number.  The next two digits assign a number to each card.  Then all you need is 3 dice to randomize your game.  Also, if you want to bias towards a certain expansion, Well then just roll two dice x number of times picking only from that set.  It would save on the number of cards that need printing, and you wont have bone heads like me accidentally cleaning up the randomizer card into the kingdom pile so that card never gets picked anymore.  That, and I'm just not good at shuffling a deck of 132+. *queue LMFAO*   
If this never happens I'll probably just buy all the expansions and build my own container to keep them all in, but I'd much rather get the finished product.
I hope so, that would be really convenient for anyone who doesn't have all the expansions. Also, it would be nice if the collecter's pack included all the promo's, too. One thing I don't like about your card picker idea, is that there would be no replacement for any damaged or lost cards. I like the idea, so if it could include a randomizer deck and a three digit number for each card, that would be fabulous.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 05:40:01 pm »

Do you have a smart phone?
As there are free apps for all of them nowadays that do the picking for you (as well as other features)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:56:47 pm »

As there are free apps for all of them nowadays that do the picking for you (as well as other features)
Really? Wow, I never knew that. They have apps for everything now...
How can you include the promos?

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 06:35:13 pm »

I saw you asking this in the other thread first. I know of no plans for such a product and it doesn't make sense that there would be one. Go to a store and lift up that many Dominion boxes, see what you think.

Toblakai

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:48:50 pm »
+1

Good point about the weight, Personally I'd still like to have them all in one case, but perhaps we better add some luggage wheels to it.   ;D

Also I do not have a smart phone, however I'm thinking I may have to get one once the Dominion app comes out.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:54:14 pm by Toblakai »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:39:47 pm »

I would pay a lot for an "official proxying set".  Have generic artwork for kingdom cards and a sleeve to go around the artwork of the randomizer card.  So if you don't have the card Militia, you put the card that has art of an angry man on it in a sleeve putting the  name, text, and cost of Militia on it, then set that card on top of the stack of angry man cards as an eleventh card.  It builds an association so you can keep proxies straight for each game, and players would always have access to the text of the card.  You could mix and match with dominion sets to alleviate how much proxying you must do, and there's still incentive to buy all the cards because even the best you can manage is still a somewhat confusing set, reusing art from game to game for different cards could take a toll.  But it'd be great for people who want to experience all the cards but can't afford all the sets, or can't afford them quite yet.
(This is probably a terrible idea, but if it isn't I want royalties :P)

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »
+1

How about just an official box that's well-constructed to accommodate the weight, space efficient, and has slots for all the cards, mats, and tokens?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 10:07:17 pm »

Really easily, they're just other cards.  I use Dominion Shuffle on Android and it works well.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:14:00 pm »

How about just an official box that's well-constructed to accommodate the weight, space efficient, and has slots for all the cards, mats, and tokens?
I have to agree with Donald that there's little business sense to this.  If you put it in a board game store, it weighs too much to carry out of the store and takes up lots of space, where the store might want to put other items.  Many people buy expansions gradually or already have expansions so they're not potential consumers. 

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 10:22:16 pm »

Really easily, they're just other cards.  I use Dominion Shuffle on Android and it works well.
Right. I thought you were talking about one for each expansion.
Can you specify the expansion that the set will come from?

Mad, I tell you.

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 10:23:26 pm »

It would be slightly tricky for the dice idea, since we would need an eight sided die as we already have 7 dominion games(base, intrigue, seaside, alchemy, prosperity, cornucopia, and hinterlands) and you'd have to just roll one die multiple times due to the significance of the ordering of the numbers. Personally
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:25:24 pm »

Yep, you can even set maximum and minimum limits from each set and choose individual cards to be in or out of the set
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 01:31:28 am »

I have to agree with Donald that there's little business sense to this.  If you put it in a board game store, it weighs too much to carry out of the store and takes up lots of space, where the store might want to put other items.  Many people buy expansions gradually or already have expansions so they're not potential consumers.

I meant an empty box where I can store the cards I already have.  It seems like there's enough fan interest in this that we get posts on DIY projects every couple of weeks.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 01:42:02 am »

I could have sworn someone had posted a pdf to BGG where you could randomize cards using dice. 

edit: it was actually a post on these forums: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2097.msg32897#msg32897
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:46:48 am by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 04:02:11 am »

On iPhone I use Dominion Kingdom, but it doesn't have cornucopia and hinterlands (but then neither do I)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 09:16:25 am »

Yep, you can even set maximum and minimum limits from each set and choose individual cards to be in or out of the set
Can you specialize the cost of any of the cards, i.e. can you make it so that 5 of the cards will cost four, or 3 will cost five or something like that?
I need to get this app...

Mad, I tell you.

Rodafowa

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
    • Blue Man Sings The Whites
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:15 am »

On iPhone I use Dominion Kingdom, but it doesn't have cornucopia and hinterlands (but then neither do I)
It's the work of about 5 minutes to add them manually, though (along with the couple of promos that aren't included). Main Menu / Preferences / View Card Sets / Edit / Add New Set and then it's pretty straightforward from there.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »

I meant an empty box where I can store the cards I already have.  It seems like there's enough fan interest in this that we get posts on DIY projects every couple of weeks.

My mistake.  It would still have the volume problem for shelf space, but you could ask for it from the back, and yeah that's a decent idea.  The reason I was confused was you quoted my post though, and my suggestion served a very different purpose.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »

Can you specialize the cost of any of the cards, i.e. can you make it so that 5 of the cards will cost four, or 3 will cost five or something like that?

On Dominion Kingdom, You cant edit the standard cards, but as it says above, you can add new cards in, give them the same name and edit the cost. Although not sure how that will make a difference as it wont change the hardcopy cards you are playing with.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 05:33:03 pm »

On the Android app I mentioned, this is possible.  No idea about iOS.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 05:57:41 pm »

and nicer cards stock like Bicycle Playing Cards

Bikes really aren't that durable.  On the other hand if there was an edition of Dominion printed on plastic cards ala Kem playing cards that would be something special.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 07:50:22 am »

and nicer cards stock like Bicycle Playing Cards

Bikes really aren't that durable.  On the other hand if there was an edition of Dominion printed on plastic cards ala Kem playing cards that would be something special.

Love my Kems!

Pages: [1]

Page created in 3.386 seconds with 21 queries.