Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Governor Collection  (Read 1068 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
The Governor Collection
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:11:12 am »
+2

Governor is a weird card, a difficult card, a bit of a tricky card which is not easy to understand how to play optimally. I'd like this thread to be an example of games which feature governor as the star card, particularly if there's some nuance of strategy you want to evince.

I'm going to start off by posting this game: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120427-195902-f537fa3c.html.
Now, I think this game is good and instructive for a few reasons. First, be sparing with your +cards. Second, you have to check out the board for options and not play blindly. Here moneylender helps connect things, warehouse is great as a sifter. But I think most importantly you need to see silk road. You're probably going to have an opponent with lots of silvers, so if you go for a final mega-turn trashing lots of golds into provinces... you have to watch out for your opponent defensively trashing, basically. So I was even more keen to get moneylender, because I can turn it into a duchy defensively. And the silvers into silk roads. I actually gain 10 points on the last turn of the game, which was my opponent's turn! Finally, be willing to turn those golds into provinces even at a pretty early stage.

paddyodoors

Re: The Governor Collection
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:26:24 am »

particularly if there's some nuance of strategy you want to evince.

+1 for evince.  Had to look that up.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:41:25 am by paddyodoors »

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:57:02 am »
+2

Governor is a weird card, a difficult card, a bit of a tricky card which is not easy to understand how to play optimally. I'd like this thread to be an example of games which feature governor as the star card, particularly if there's some nuance of strategy you want to evince.
Correct me if this is not part of the intention of this thread, but this also seems like a great place to show off when someone attempts to make Govenor the star card and fails.  Either through the lack of support, soft counters, or a faster strategy. 

A time when someone ignores Govenor for this reason probably isn't as good as we will not to see the example.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:08 pm »

This is a pretty straight-forward game, but it's a good example of playing Governor with Possession. I played it against tlloyd in the current IsoDom tournament.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120421-193046-1cb5a8b8.html
We both were going for the basic strategy of get Governors, get a Possession, inflate your opponents hand and then Possess them, but I got to it first. There is a bit of subtlety in the fact that tlloyd takes his early opportunities to buy Provinces before getting a Possession which actually makes it harder for him to buy a much needed Possession, and it costs him his early lead. Remake allows for deck thinning to hit Possession more often with Governor draws and University allows for Governor spamming. There's also Minion on the board, which can be used as a backup card to make your opponent discard with in case you miss your Possession when doing your big Governor draws.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.