Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Traders Questions.  (Read 3156 times)

twadd7777

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Traders Questions.
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:40:43 am »

I was looking at the Trader card and had a few questions. I did look around a bit and did not find answers to these questions.

1. Trader with Ill-Gotten-Gains. If you have a traders in your hand when you play an Ill-Gotten-gains, can you gain a Silver and put it in your hand instead of a copper? My guess was yes, please verify.

2. Trader with Develop. If you Develop a Curse or copper can you gain 2 silvers (question in regard to not having any 1 or -1 cost cards in play)? My guess is no, Develop in the detailed instructions states you will try to gain a card and fail. My question is when does the  (when you gain a card) action trigger. Does it trigger when you have already targeted a card to put in your hand or when you are told to gain a card?

3. Trader with Haggler. If I buy an estate and reveal a Trader can I gain a Silver with my second buy? My guess is yes. Because I bought an estate, triggering that I can buy a card less than it. I target my copper, but when I gain it I reveal the Trader and instead gain a Silver. Likewise, can I "buy" a copper and instead gain two silvers? I would still guess yes for the same reason. However, can I buy a Festival and instead gain a Silver and a Jack of All Trades? Silly question, but my guess is yes. Because you bought a festival, that is what the cost is going off of, so even though you actually got a silver you bought a festival and that is what the cost is based on. However, this reasoning would negate my assumption on the buy a copper to gain two silvers. because there is no card costing less than 0 so you have no legitimate target.

I don't know if I am anywhere near right here. Please help me determine proper usage of Trader!

Thanks,
Twadd

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
Re: Traders Questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:52:41 am »

1. You can gain a silver instead of the copper, but the silver goes into your discard pile instead of into your hand, because the Trader's ability cancels completely the former copper gain.

2. You're correct, you can't gain a silver in this circumstance because you were never about to gain a card.

3. You can get estate/silver as long as either the copper pile or the curse pile still has cards left. If both piles are depleted, you wouldn't be able to gain a second card from the Haggler, and therefore you wouldn't be able to react to a second card.

Also if you replace the Festival with the trader's gain of a silver, I don't think you would still be capable of getting the Jack of All Trades from the Haggler, because the Trader replaces the gain of the Festival with the gain of a silver, and since you therefore never completed your purchase, the Haggler can't take effect. However you could certainly purchase a Jack of All Trades and gain a silver even without the Trader...

twadd7777

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:57:21 am »

Thanks Avin, I appreciate the response. I was aware of the silliness of that last question but was just trying to prove a point.

Too bad about the IGG combo though.

-Twadd

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:05:28 pm »

When you buy a card with Haggler in play,  you gain a card costing less than it.  This occurs before (and has nothing to do with) your subsequent gaining of that card.  This means that you can buy a Festival, Gain a Jack of all Trades from Haggler, and then, when you gain the Festival, reveal Trader to gain a Silver instead.  I tried this out on Isotropic and it worked as I have just described.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:07:30 pm »

Also if you replace the Festival with the trader's gain of a silver, I don't think you would still be capable of getting the Jack of All Trades from the Haggler, because the Trader replaces the gain of the Festival with the gain of a silver, and since you therefore never completed your purchase, the Haggler can't take effect. However you could certainly purchase a Jack of All Trades and gain a silver even without the Trader...

Buying and gaining are different events, so you can buy a Festival, gain a Silver instead, and gain JoAT from the Haggler.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:09:52 pm »

Ah, I was wondering if the buy still went through even if the gain didn't. Thanks for the clarification.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:11:08 pm »

When you buy a card with Haggler in play,  you gain a card costing less than it.  This occurs before (and has nothing to do with) your subsequent gaining of that card.  This means that you can buy a Festival, Gain a Jack of all Trades from Haggler, and then, when you gain the Festival, reveal Trader to gain a Silver instead.  I tried this out on Isotropic and it worked as I have just described.

This is correct.  And it also explains why you can't buy one Copper and get two Silvers.  Haggler's effect happens first - before the Copper you buy gets Tradered into a Silver - but it can't get you anything because there are no cards costing less than Copper.  So you buy Copper, Haggler triggers (but has no effect), then you gain the Copper you bought, and can reveal Trader to gain one Silver instead.  It's the same principle behind why Developing a Copper can't get you two Silvers.

The overall rule:  when you buy a card, you also gain it; but the gain is separate from - and happens AFTER - the buy.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 12:23:50 pm »

2. Trader with Develop. If you Develop a Curse or copper can you gain 2 silvers (question in regard to not having any 1 or -1 cost cards in play)? My guess is no

As already pointed out, you are correct in this one.

But if your hand consists of Trader, Remake, Highway, and two Coppers, you could end up turning the Coppers into Silvers.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.571 seconds with 20 queries.