Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: Where's the official app?  (Read 66516 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the official app?
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2012, 07:19:19 pm »

So I was looking on the funsockets website at the Careers section and noticed an entry for a Java developer, so I'm guessing the back-end is written in Java.  I've had my website up for a while now (http://kingdom.servegame.org), and the server side is written in Java, the front-end is done with html, and there is a mobile version of the site. Similar to isotropic it is just running on a computer at my house. However I've noticed that isotropic is much more responsive, and can handle a lot more users than my website, so hopefully the people at funsockets have done a better job at developing a solution that can scale.  Anyway just thought people might be interested since the official version will probably be using similar technologies.

This is pretty cool. Just a heads-up: there's a bug in the rules for Throne Rooms staying out with duration cards. If I play Throne Room on a Throne Room, then that Throne Room on two Wharves, then only the second Throne Room should stay out.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2012, 07:55:43 pm »

So I was looking on the funsockets website at the Careers section and noticed an entry for a Java developer, so I'm guessing the back-end is written in Java.  I've had my website up for a while now (http://kingdom.servegame.org), and the server side is written in Java, the front-end is done with html, and there is a mobile version of the site. Similar to isotropic it is just running on a computer at my house. However I've noticed that isotropic is much more responsive, and can handle a lot more users than my website, so hopefully the people at funsockets have done a better job at developing a solution that can scale.  Anyway just thought people might be interested since the official version will probably be using similar technologies.

This is pretty cool. Just a heads-up: there's a bug in the rules for Throne Rooms staying out with duration cards. If I play Throne Room on a Throne Room, then that Throne Room on two Wharves, then only the second Throne Room should stay out.
Feature.  Supposed to work like that.  It should happen on Iso too.  I think i might have misread this the first time.  Do both actually stay out in kingdom? then that is a bug.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:58:24 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2012, 08:34:14 pm »

Feature.  Supposed to work like that.  It should happen on Iso too.  I think i might have misread this the first time.  Do both actually stay out in kingdom? then that is a bug.

I'm actually not sure exactly what it does. If I play TR-TR-Wharf-Wharf, the Duration area shows two Throne Rooms and two Wharves, but I don't know if that means both Throne Rooms are out, or what.

kirkbauer

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2012, 09:18:14 am »
+1

The isotropic backend is written in Python. Python (though I love it very much) is about as slow as it gets. Attribute isotropic's scalability to implementer skill and not choice of programming language. :)

I admit that I have not used Python, however I have extensive experience with Perl (a similar interpreted language) and I can say that (surprisingly) it outperforms Java.  I say surprisingly because Java is compiled into psedo-machine language which should theoretically be faster to execute than a purely interpreted language.  I am not surprised that Python is more responsive than Java.

I think Isotropic is fast for a number of reasons:
1) Server is running Linux and not Windows
2) Web server is Apache and not bloated IIS or some big Java servlet engine
3) Python implementation is well-done
4) Interface (including Javascript) is simple and not bloated
5) Chrome makes it especially fast

I suspect that the commercial app will not be as efficient, however it may be possible for them to throw money at the problem to increase performance (more hardware, etc).

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2012, 10:19:54 am »
+2

I love Python.  I dislike Java (I think Java the language is okay, but Java the AbstractProxyFactoryFactoryManager community is horrible).

If a problem is computationally intensive, well written Python code is going to be a lot slower than well written Java.

barsooma

« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2012, 10:41:13 am »

I love Python.  I dislike Java (I think Java the language is okay, but Java the AbstractProxyFactoryFactoryManager community is horrible).

If a problem is computationally intensive, well written Python code is going to be a lot slower than well written Java.

But properly written python or java code for computationally intensive problems will likely be using bindings to the same external libraries written in C or fortran.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2012, 02:19:34 pm »

But properly written python or java code for computationally intensive problems will likely be using bindings to the same external libraries written in C or fortran.

Maybe for numerical code, but there are plenty of discrete algorithms I'd prefer to roll by hand. To be fair, I'd usually just write these in C++, but performance in Java should also be acceptable.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2012, 02:53:13 pm »
+2

I hate Java, but I love C#.

Which is like saying: I hate rain, but I love snow, which is true as well. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2012, 03:31:51 pm »
+1

I hate Java, but I love C#.

Which is like saying: I hate rain, but I love snow, which is true as well. :)

I was about to ask if there were any other .Net guys around here! :) C# FTW! Though my preference is for Objective-C.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sjelkjd

• Salvager
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2012, 03:48:13 pm »
+2

I think Isotropic is fast for a number of reasons:
Honestly that sounds like a bunch of BS.  I would guess that it's fast because it has a well designed client-server interaction.  I would really be surprised if Windows vs. Linux on the server made any difference at all.

Kore

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2012, 04:12:54 pm »
+1

I was about to ask if there were any other .Net guys around here! :) C# FTW! Though my preference is for Objective-C.

I think loving both Objective-C and C# makes you a special snowflake. I love to develop in C# and it hurts so bad when I have to go do Objective-C. (I develop primary on C# but we port to iOS and that means occasional ObjectiveC)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2012, 04:26:14 pm »

I think loving both Objective-C and C# makes you a special snowflake. I love to develop in C# and it hurts so bad when I have to go do Objective-C. (I develop primary on C# but we port to iOS and that means occasional ObjectiveC)

I was a .Net developer for 4 years when suddenly my company wanted me to learn iOS. It took a while to get used to, but now I prefer it; I just find it more fun. Most of my current work is still .Net though.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.