Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How was this so close?  (Read 1211 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
How was this so close?
« on: April 24, 2012, 04:11:33 am »

I know winning logs are generally frowned upon but what I would have expected to be a blowout win came down to the last turn (if I had only enough to buy a Duchy, i'd have lost.)

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120423-131807-d89bb024.html

I used to play Alchemist every time I saw it on the board (when I was high 20s in rating), and nowadays I tend to ignore it in ~85% of games. I see the opportunity for Alchemist-Horn of plenty-other stuff but I see Mountebank on the board and think that will blow the other options away. The black market deck isn't really that enticing or threatening, so I open silver/silver gunning for Mountebanks while my opponent opens Potion/Black Market.

My opponent picks up his first Mountebank turn 9, and ten or so turns later I find myself scrambling to pick up half the VP as my opponents massive engine rears its head.

Usually I would blame something like this on luck, but I grab mountebanks on turns 3 and 5 and he doesn't seem to get particularly lucky with his BM deck pulls.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: How was this so close?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 05:40:56 am »

Hm. Seems plausible.

1) The board has +buy/gainers (Margrave, Horn of Plenty, Black Market)
2) It has attacks (Margrave, Mountebank), so that once the engine starts hitting you every turn, it's brutal.
3) It has villages (Bazaar) and card draw (Margrave, Alchemist, Envoy).

It has all the components of a super-brutal awesome engine.

I mean, yeah, they're all too expensive. Alchemist, MArgrave, Bazaar, Mountebank... too many expensive things. But the potential engine there is downright frightening. I think it's not too surprising that once it got going, it was super. Just that it was too slow to get going -  you had four provinces and three duchies by the time he started greening.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: How was this so close?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:24:11 am »

Your opponent got really lucky:

1. you missed your mountebank on the third shuffle (this would be game over if he already had a mountebank as well).

2. you double-draw mountebanks shortly thereafter despite having an action-light deck

and

he discards a curse despite having a curse-light deck. Ignoring alchemists and black market was completely correct. There's always room for improvement in Dominion, and it's bad to blame everything on luck, but this isn't a game I'd lose sleep over.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.417 seconds with 20 queries.