Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 3450 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
What happened?
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:23:31 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/16/game-20120416-151255-fe632ef2.html

I don't even....

This game looked great from the start for me. 5/2 split with governor and pearl diver. I thought about going vault but thought that with tournament, governor would be better. (I also entertained the idea of cache, thinking I would be likely enough to be able to mint away coppers later.) So it all looked great. And then...I don't know. I got lots of governors, lots of gold, things were looking good. Apprentice was nice for my opponent because I was feeding them silvers, but they only had one. They picked up tournament but I figured I would get to province first anyway. Boy was I wrong. All of a sudden they got four provinces, which started making my tournaments really suck. Anyway, they got 6 provinces in 15 turns with what looked to me like a bit of a rag-tag bunch of cards. Monument is a great enabler for BM, so was that what did it? Did I over-invest in governors or completely misplay them? (I realize that I should not have gone for the penultimate province by trashing gold but honestly it wouldn't have mattered.) Should I have seen that this game would be too quick for governors?

My opponent played well so I have no problem accepting a loss...but I really did not expect to get so completely trounced here.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:40:31 pm »

Governor makes for very, very fast games, and I think you didn't properly use that. Remember, when you use Governor to gain Gold, it's a delayed benefit - you don't see that gold until one shuffle later. But it's a very quick game - you can't stock up on delayed benefits all game long, unless you're going for a mega-turn. But a pure governor game goes too fast for a megaturn.

Up until turn 12, you only used Governor for gaining Golds. That means that each time you used governor, it was a dead card in hand for the purpose of buying something! So you would up with lots of $5-$6 hands, where you would have a Governor in hand, then maybe a gold and a copper or two or three. And with those hands, you'd get two $5-$6 cards (a gold and a governor, or maybe two golds).

Whereas your opponent got Provinces ASAP! Where you got two $6 cards, he got one $8 card.

You could have had a Province on turn 7, when you had a Governor and a Gold in hand - you had the opportunity to have Province first, like you wanted, despite being second player. You could have also had one more on turn 10. Those would have activated your own tournaments, and hindered your opponents'.

Governor is IMO a very hard card to play right. Can't say I've got it figured out either, it's a lot easier to see where a Governor game goes wrong than to figure out how to do it right...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:48:03 pm by ftl »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:57:16 pm »

I really like governor a lot. It could definitely be a trap in some games for me, but I usually win the games in which I win the governor split. That definitely doesn't mean I play it right, though. With tournaments, I probably should have gotten province asap. I was gaining gold obviously hoping that they would connect with my governors. Obviously they did a couple times, but I was hoping that stockpiling gold would let them collide more and then let me draw cards, putting even more golds and governors together. As soon as he got a province lead, I was naturally scared to do any drawing unless it was absolutely necessary.

Is it generally best to remodel gold anytime they collide (unless you have $8?) and gain gold when they don't until the end and you think you can go double or triple province by drawing cards?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (game logs show up as a 404s for me for some reason until they hit councilroom), but didn't I have enough money for a province on turn 10, and isn't the best move in that situation to gain gold and buy province?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:19:22 pm »

You spent ten turns giving your opponent silvers. Your opponent had trashed a little with an apprentice and loan so could access these cards directly and spend them on provinces. There's a variety of other things you can do here with a vault, apprentice, or mint so it's probably worth using those cards instead of a  single card strategy with governor.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:30:29 pm »

Is it generally best to remodel gold anytime they collide (unless you have $8?) and gain gold when they don't until the end and you think you can go double or triple province by drawing cards?

Not sure here. I think in this game you waited too long to get provinces, but I'm not gonna make any big pronouncements about the 'general' right way to play Governor.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (game logs show up as a 404s for me for some reason until they hit councilroom), but didn't I have enough money for a province on turn 10, and isn't the best move in that situation to gain gold and buy province?

No, on turn 10 you had in hand Gold, a few coppers, and a governor, you gained gold and bought Governor.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:34:49 pm »

No, on turn 10 you had in hand Gold, a few coppers, and a governor, you gained gold and bought Governor.

Hmmm yeah that's weird, I should have remodeled gold. :/

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:53 pm »

I will echo everyone else here saying buy Province as soon as possible. With the card draw from Governor it will allow you to get Followers early and early Governor + Followers discard attack (even without the cursing) should be game over here.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:14:30 pm »

A deck full of silvers is pretty good especially when the other person didn't go Governor's.  He essentially went BM Monument/apprentice with the help of a thousand silvers.  It's pretty good against self made govenors with no assistance (ie you should've gotten apprentice/loan early). 

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:36:28 pm »

I also think people are too scared to go +3cards with governor until it's too late. With no +buy on the table, if you can hit a double(triple?)-province hand by using a remodel gold/buy province,it is usually worth it. In this case, since he also doesn't go governor, spamming + cards will only ever help him hit a single province no matter what good cards are fed to him (okay, it gives him a better shot at pairing up tournament/province, with which he could have gotten a duchy, or a princess...).

At the end of the game you have 6(!) golds. Ideally you should want closer to 0-golds; having remodelled them all into provinces. I think this, more than anything, tells you that you waited too long to start remodelling, or start taking +cards to lineup the remodels.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:31:17 pm »
+1

I will echo everyone else here saying buy Province as soon as possible. With the card draw from Governor it will allow you to get Followers early and early Governor + Followers discard attack (even without the cursing) should be game over here.

believe me, if my opponent plays followers after a governor chain, there will be cursing.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:50 pm »

believe me, if my opponent plays followers after a governor chain, there will be cursing.

http://myinstants.com/instant/rimshot/
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.591 seconds with 22 queries.