Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Using watchtower to trash Embassy-gifted silvers  (Read 1799 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Using watchtower to trash Embassy-gifted silvers
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:10:22 pm »
+3

This is the most interesting game I've played in a long long time.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/20/game-20120420-195331-64e9c33d.html

nsnyder opened Embassy/nothing on a Colony board and was picking up Platinums by turn 5 and Colonies by turn 8. I started building a very sketchy engine that seemed promising on paper, but in practice took was to long to build.

Basic principle was:
Use Black Market to find the two villages (Border Village, Bazaar)
Use Upgrade to kill coppers
Pick up Goons to slow nsnyder down
Pick up Labs to fly through the deck
Pick up Grand Markets to move through the deck and get extra buys
Use Watchtowers to get my engine components dropped on my deck - and to trash coppers bought with goons

The deck only works if it all comes together: Find the Villages, have enough money to buy them when i find them, get them in the same hand as Multiple goons, have a Watchtower in hand as well, then buy a bunch of stuff and either top-deck or trash it.

In practice it looks like I was dead by turn 10. I think at one point I was down 60-something to around ~10 with two colonies left.

But it eventually all came together. On my second last turn I managed to get ahead 72-71 (to both of our surprise). nsnyder could only pull off a province on his turn and I managed to finish in on mine, played 10 labs, 8 grand markets, a border village, a bazaar and 3 goons. Buying the last colony, a couple of provinces, a duchy and a ton of copper.

Final score 132-79

Moral of the story is stick with your plan and don't give up. I would have bet against me on the start of turn 21, and it ended on turn 22...

Thanks to nsnyder for being a good sport and letting me finish my last big turn.

Ed

Editor's note: No actual edits made, I am just a forum admin noob
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:21:55 pm by rrenaud »

mDuo13

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
Re: Using watchtower to trash Embassy-gifted silvers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:04:12 pm »

What a precarious deck!

I'm impressed you stuck with it throughout; personally I'd've probably been tempted by the Tournament and Ambassador in your Black Market, and that probably would've diluted my deck just enough to ruin me in your position.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:22:31 pm »
+2

I am skeptical that scrapping together villages from the black market is ever really a good idea.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »
+1

Generally I agree.
And I think this backs that up. I didn't deserve to win this game. Just got lucky it turned out right.

That said, the one time it's sometimes worth going for villages in the bm is when it's the only way to play multiple goons (and there is trashing or draw to get the goons and actions in hand)

Multiple goons per turn is just devastating. And sometimes worth a risk to make that happen. (one of the few times I will buy golem as well)

Ed

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:50:37 pm »

If I were you, I would have gotten a second BM at some point to fish for the Bazaar faster.

Tournament can also net you the Trusty Steed, but that's probably way too slow.

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 06:16:18 pm »
+1

5 Embassies 1 Gold seems bad.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.548 seconds with 21 queries.