Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: KingTheodenII's fan cards  (Read 2626 times)

KingTheodenII

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
KingTheodenII's fan cards
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:52:13 pm »

My friends and I made up our own card which is an ACTION - ATTACK card.

Other Players must reveal cards until a copper, silver, gold, or platinum is revealed. Pass that to the player
to your left (costing 5). So it adds a good twist to the game - especially when golds and platinums are revealed or when
coppers are revealed.

Or we have one where you trash any number of curses and gain an equal number of estates (costing 4).

MY ALL TIME FAVORITE NEW CARD is as follows: (costs 6 and a potion - so its VERY expensive) - Pick up to
five other players and they must gain two curses, putting them on top of their deck. One moat cancels one
curse. Cannot be King's Courted or Throne Roomed.
Of course after one use this could use up all the curses, but thats why it costs 6 treasure and 1 potion, which
is hard to get.

and before i give my last interesting card, here's one:
Bonus Village
+3 Actions
+2 Buy
+2 Cards
+2 Treasure
Playable Once Only Per Turn

Costs 10

And lastly, the amazing card called "Cancel"
Play this when any other player plays an action card to cancel it completely for one
turn. Costs 4. This adds a variation to where you can play more than just reaction
cards during other players' turns. I think the new expansion should have cards that
can be played during other peoples' turns.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:01:12 am by rrenaud »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: KingTheodenII's fan cards
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:35:13 pm »

For the first one -- everyone passes to the left?  It doesn't seem like a particularly good attack because it could very well end up hurting you (if the person on your right ends up passing you a copper).  Could be fun for the swinginess of it.

The Curse-->Estates card is very situational.  First of all, it would be useless in a kingdom without cursing.  Second, it would only really be useful if you can build up a huge hand and draw up all your curses.  Otherwise, your deck needs to be completely swamped with Curses.  Finally, the benefit of converting curses to estates actually isn't that huge -- your deck is still really clogged.  I don't think the benefit is worth using up a terminal action with no other real benefit.

Your favourite card that costs 6p -- why pick 5 players?  Why not just target all other players, like every other attack card?  Not a fan of this because it is breaking other card rules.  The KC/TR thing aside, saying that Moat only blocks one curse is actively contradicting the text on the card itself.  In any case, the rules of Dominion allow you to reveal the same reaction more than once.  Usually, this is just redundant.  In this case, you could reveal the same Moat twice to block both curses.  The rules allow for that!  Finally, for such an expensive card, it just doesn't seem that good because it doesn't benefit you at all.  That's the reason why Saboteur isn't usually a good card.  Sea Hag gets away with it because you can pick it up in turn 1/2, but this card requires significant investment.

Not sure what to say about the Bonus Village.  The "once per turn" restriction hurts it a lot, and that price puts it up against Platinums and Colonies...

Takes on your "Cancel" card have come up a lot.  As described, it is in fact still a Reaction card -- you are reacting to another player playing an action.  A card like this will never appear in an official Dominon expansion as it is very political -- you use it to target one specific player.  All the cards in Dominion are designed to avoid politics.  They either target all other players or don't give you a choice in the matter (e.g. specifying the player to your left).  However, if this kind of thing is what you are your fellow players likes, it's a fine card to have.  I don't mind some politics in my games, now and again. :)

Algebraist

• Scout
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:32:14 am »

Takes on your "Cancel" card have come up a lot.  As described, it is in fact still a Reaction card -- you are reacting to another player playing an action.  A card like this will never appear in an official Dominon expansion as it is very political -- you use it to target one specific player.  All the cards in Dominion are designed to avoid politics.  They either target all other players or don't give you a choice in the matter (e.g. specifying the player to your left).  However, if this kind of thing is what you are your fellow players likes, it's a fine card to have.  I don't mind some politics in my games, now and again. :)

It also massively slows down the game since whenever I play an action I have to wait to see if someone wants to cancel it. So not only do I have to wait for their decisions, I have to first wait for everyone to finish shuffling from their last turns and draw hands. Requiring this wait when I play an attack is bearable, but having it for every action would get pretty annoying pretty fast.

Separately from this, such a card will make for really boring games. If cancel's in the set, I'll know that any action-based strategy I try can be hosed by you just cancelling my first action in a turn, thus killing my entire turn with a single card. So I'll just decide to pretty much ignore actions and go for BM. So they'll be no point actually buying cancel and the game'll be a BM mirror.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:36:17 am by Algebraist »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »

Bonus Village
+3 Actions
+2 Buy
+2 Cards
+2 Treasure

Costs 10
What happens when I Throne it? What happens when my Golem turns up two copies of it?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:14:52 pm »

Bonus Village
+3 Actions
+2 Buy
+2 Cards
+2 Treasure

Costs 10
What happens when I Throne it? What happens when my Golem turns up two copies of it?

He writes in the preceding text that you cannot throne or court it.  I'm not a fan of those kinds of stipulations though.  I'd rather new cards integrate well with other cards, rather than bringing in a host of restrictions and special rules.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:24:34 pm »

Just use the wording from Crossroads... It's not hard to enforce the concept within the rules and precedents that are already in the game.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »

Just use the wording from Crossroads... It's not hard to enforce the concept within the rules and precedents that are already in the game.

That... is a good idea.  Still seems like a monster to balance though.  It needs to provide some sort of benefit on subsequent plays, even though the majority of it is on the first play.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 05:39:36 pm »

I'm not much of a fan of the card itself, I just had the idea of how to word it without making a mess of the rules.  Who knows how to balance it.  It seems like you would only ever buy one, and perhaps not even that. (Maybe on exactly 10 in a Colony game?).  I suspect KingTheodenII wants it to just do nothing if you happen to try playing more than one, but if you wanted to make it slightly less risky to pick up a second, you could do:

+2 actions
+1 card
If this is the first time you have played Bonus Village this turn:
+1 action
+2 buys
+1 card
+$2

It still seems like too much of a risk to me to be spending $10 on a Village. 

I don't see much depth to the card. It is super crazy powerful if you happen to have $10 to spend in a Colony game, and it would almost never make sense to buy more than one.  There doesn't seem to be any strategic decisions to be made there.

Honestly, when I first read this thread I just wanted to link here, but I don't like being mean.  But really, we have one card that allows you to choose which opponents gain curses (i.e. political, unlike any other card in dominion) and breaks the rules by re-writing how Moat interacts with it.  The second is Grand Markillageratory for $10, and the last is "Counterspell" for Dominion, and I am sure there are at least 3 discussions somewhere on this forum explaining why it is a bad idea.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.