Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: What's the worst Isotropic quirk in your opinion?  (Read 52806 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: What's the worst Isotropic quirk in your opinion?
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2012, 06:32:41 pm »
+22

That you can see the set of 10 cards before you accept/reject. By far the worst quirk IMO.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 02:17:55 am »
+1

That you can see the set of 10 cards before you accept/reject. By far the worst quirk IMO.
I disagree. There may be a lot of beginning players not wanting to play an attack-heavy board.
Veto-mode serves a good purpose here, I feel, although one could make an argument for a "pure random mode" checkbox.
But would you need to account for the Alchemy rule as well? (Play with up to X Alchemy card when playing with Alchemy).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 02:21:07 am »
+1

(Play with up to X Alchemy card when playing with Alchemy).

That's not a rule, that's more actual a guideline...

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 04:59:39 am »
+4

Is it just me or do we have an undo button?

Man isotropic is awesome.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 05:08:52 am »

That's a bad sign for the official app if isotropic is still being modified.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 08:47:03 am »
+6

From the FAQ:

Why is there sometimes an undo button?

If the last thing you did was to play one or more simple Treasure cards (either individually, or with the auto-play button), you now have the option to undo that play. An undo button will appear when this is the case. This should help in cases where you played (especially with auto-play) more treasure than you meant to, eg. if you want to buy a Grand Market or remodel some treasure buying Farmland. Undo is not available in any other circumstances.

Note that as part of adding the undo feature, the cards Royal Seal and Diadem were changed so they are not played by the auto-play button; they are not considered "simple" and cannot be undone once played.

Thank you Doug!

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
Re: Undo button
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:34 am »
+3

Since apparently this is the board where wishes are granted... DougZ, if you're listening, could you make isotropic do my taxes? And maybe find me a date?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 08:55:44 am »

From the FAQ:

Note that as part of adding the undo feature, the cards Royal Seal and Diadem were changed so they are not played by the auto-play button; they are not considered "simple" and cannot be undone once played.

Thank you Doug!

Indeed! I think I don't understand why Royal Seal and Diadem are excluded, though.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 12:22:00 pm »

I disagree. There may be a lot of beginning players not wanting to play an attack-heavy board.
Veto-mode serves a good purpose here, I feel, although one could make an argument for a "pure random mode" checkbox.
But would you need to account for the Alchemy rule as well? (Play with up to X Alchemy card when playing with Alchemy).

These players should play with the 0 to ... however many they're okay with attack cards in the set option.

BaruMonkey

• Bishop
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 12:27:23 pm »

These players should play with the 0 to ... however many they're okay with attack cards in the set option.
Whoa, I never saw that set of restriction abilities! Cool! *runs off to play*

EDIT: Gave up attempting to play with it due to lobby activity closing the dropdown list within a second of my opening it 50 times in a row :(
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:30:11 pm by BaruMonkey »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 12:43:57 pm »

Notes on the undo feature:
  • Quarry still autoplays and can't be undone. (This is okay! Just something to be aware of.) Once you've played the Quarry, you can only undo Coppers, not Silver/Gold (also Harem). If you click manually to play the Quarry before the basic treasures, you can still undo them.
  • Once you buy something, you can't undo anymore (reasonably enough).
  • Hoard still autoplays and can't be undone. Once you've played the Hoard, you can only undo Copper/Silver (also Harem), not Gold. If you click manually to play the Hoard before Gold, you can still undo the Gold.
  • Coppers played with Coppersmith can be undone.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »

Thanks Doug Z!  Isotropic only grows more amazing.

Papa Luigi

• Scout
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2012, 03:37:29 pm »

Notes on the undo feature:
  • Quarry still autoplays and can't be undone. (This is okay! Just something to be aware of.) Once you've played the Quarry, you can only undo Coppers, not Silver/Gold (also Harem). If you click manually to play the Quarry before the basic treasures, you can still undo them.
  • Once you buy something, you can't undo anymore (reasonably enough).
  • Hoard still autoplays and can't be undone. Once you've played the Hoard, you can only undo Copper/Silver (also Harem), not Gold. If you click manually to play the Hoard before Gold, you can still undo the Gold.
  • Coppers played with Coppersmith can be undone.

Just played a solo game to try out a few things. I noticed that you can play a basic treasure, then a special treasure, and then another basic treasure, but you can only undo basic treasures played since the last special treasure. So if, for instance, you play Copper-Fool's Gold-Copper-Copper, you can only undo those last two Coppers.

Quarry, Talisman, and Hoard all autoplay and can't be undone. I guess just be careful when you have special treasures.

Harem, Cache, and Stash all autoplay and CAN be undone, just like normal treasure.

If you click the button to play all your treasure, and you have special treasures that autoplay like Quarry or Talisman, they will sometimes be played near the beginning and sometimes not. I can't tell what order they're in. All I know is, sometimes there's an undo button and you can undo some of the autoplayed treasure, sometimes you can undo all of it (except the specials), and sometimes you can't undo any of it. For instance, I played a Silver, a Talisman, and a Stash, and I couldn't undo. But then I played a Silver, a Quarry, a Potion, and a Stash, and I was able to click undo exactly once to unplay the potion. Couldn't undo any further, meaning the Silver and the Stash were played before the Quarry.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2012, 03:38:31 pm »

Presumably Doug saw a very simple update to be made and went for it.  I suspect he has just as much knowledge of what's happening with the official app as the rest of us do, i.e., no clue.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2012, 03:47:52 pm »

Is it just me or do we have an undo button?

Man isotropic is awesome.

Insane!  Thanks DougZ! 
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2012, 04:02:17 pm »

Presumably Doug saw a very simple update to be made and went for it.  I suspect he has just as much knowledge of what's happening with the official app as the rest of us do, i.e., no clue.

From his AMA on reddit, I think he said he if friends with one of the developers, and had contact with them (probably on rules questions).  I think it's safe to say that his knowledge of what's going on is most likely better than those without such a personal connection.  Of course, he's probably not going to tell us anything. 

Commercial software is hard, and Mr. Zonker has set a high bar.  They probably don't want to alienate their future fanbase (us) by releasing something inferior.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2012, 04:27:02 pm »

Great update. As far as I can tell, it entirely solves the issue of accidentally playing coppers via the +$ button when you want to buy a GM; anytime where the software autoplay treasures has a possibility of screwing you over, it gives you an undo.

dougz

• Isotropic Designer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
    • Online Dominion
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »
+6

Quarry, Talisman, and Hoard all autoplay and can't be undone.

This is a bug; I thought I'd gone through and checked all the treasures but obviously I missed some.  The intent is that autoplay == undoable, so it's always "safe" to press the autoplay button.  I'll probably fix it tonight.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2012, 06:22:24 pm »

While you're at it, can you make Fools Gold autoplay?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »

I just played a game where Royal seal did not autoplay. Which is especially funny when it was the only treasure in my hand. Though not really a huge deal. I like having the undo button more.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »

Possibly he might have seen the post declaring undo to be difficult and taken it as a challenge. That'd be my reaction in his position, anyway.  :P

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »

From the FAQ:

Why is there sometimes an undo button?

If the last thing you did was to play one or more simple Treasure cards (either individually, or with the auto-play button), you now have the option to undo that play. An undo button will appear when this is the case. This should help in cases where you played (especially with auto-play) more treasure than you meant to, eg. if you want to buy a Grand Market or remodel some treasure buying Farmland. Undo is not available in any other circumstances.

Thank you Doug!
I just played a game where Royal seal did not autoplay. Which is especially funny when it was the only treasure in my hand. Though not really a huge deal. I like having the undo button more.
Apparently dougz intends this. Not sure why since it doesn't influence game state. Probably because it's much easier to code.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 01:31:26 am »
+2

... and I thought on page 2 I should never look into this thread again ...

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2012, 12:12:26 pm »
+1

When I said everything barsooma said was reasonable, I was wrong.  I guess I skipped over what I thought was just bickering.

I didn't see the ad hominem stuff.  That's obviously stupid and trolling.

barsooma

« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2012, 01:35:10 pm »

When I said everything barsooma said was reasonable, I was wrong.  I guess I skipped over what I thought was just bickering.

I didn't see the ad hominem stuff.  That's obviously stupid and trolling.

Care to give an example?
Everything I said that was at all insulting was in direct response to someone saying something at least as rude to me first.
And to all those who said that this thread was a waste of time because nothing would change: how do those words taste now?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.