Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: have you ever grow bored of dominion?  (Read 1925 times)

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
have you ever grow bored of dominion?
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:12:38 pm »

well so... my experience with dominion was like this,at first i totaly sucked at the game,it made me sort of grumpy but it was interessing so i keep playing,as i played more and more games and played with people that knew the game,i picked more trick so after losing my first goon game a bajillion point to 3 i learned how to play a goon game and i picked more and more trick and man at that moment the game was awesome as i saw yet another way to win a game,then after playing the game for around 2-3 month i realized something... i more or less started to play like a robot,i always look for fool gold's/chapel,if those aren't avaiable i look for trashing,if trashing isn't avaiable i look for curse attack's,if those aren't avaiable i look for +action if a card that can abuse them is on board (like torturer or conspirator) so somehow it feels like the game has grow stale,i think one of the reason is because the game lacks a random element,sure the card you do draw are random but they are also the one you buy and also most of the time they are bought exactly to reduce that random element as much as possible so a lot of games started to feel the samey

i was sort of worried of making such a thread but i hope we can discuss this as civil person's ;D

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
Re: have you ever grow bored of dominion?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:07:12 pm »
+1

Take a break.
After a while, once you feel like playing dominion again, try some different strategies. You definitely haven't seen all dominion has to offer, especially if you think FG and Chapel are that powerful. (I mean, they're strong, but more and more I find myself ignoring them)
Try something different. I reached level 20 in 2 months, by copying the strategies on these boards.
Then I had to stop playing due to unforeseen circumstances. After I returned, my thoughts have changed about the game, and I try to look for something more fun than spamming fool's gold. And my skill has increased after my break.

So, yeah, take a break. It helps.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 10:46:27 pm »

I remember feeling like this even before I started seriously playing dominion. Just wait a bit...soon you'll be back to normal ;)
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:05:47 am »

I actually have never gotten bored of Dominion. Here's my graph of games over time from Council Room:

Aside from a week or so in September 2011 when I didn't have internet access, I've been playing pretty steadily for the last two years. I might be an edge case though.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:07:43 am by ycz6 »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:56:03 am »

I actually have never gotten bored of Dominion. Here's my graph of games over time from Council Room:

Aside from a week or so in September 2011 when I didn't have internet access, I've been playing pretty steadily for the last two years. I might be an edge case though.

Huh, didn't realize they had this graph. It's cool, but the derivative of this (games/unit of time) would be much easier to read.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:33:39 am »

I wouldn't say I have ever got bored with the game completely.  I guess my interest in the game has ebbed and flowed over time.  When I play a lot of games in a short space of time I often need to take a break to 'recharge my interest' as it were.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:53:16 am »
+4

Yes, I grow bored of Dominion daily. And in a few hours, I regain the interest to play it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 06:57:11 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:03:10 am »

I am currently using all my dominion RL cards as substitutes for my game prototype. (Saved me buying hudreds of blanks, just sleeved them up and put inserts into sleeves)

I still play the odd game though online, and it will never be a game I think 'im never going to play that again'
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.844 seconds with 21 queries.