Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Video Games  (Read 19112 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 03:32:16 pm »

Pichu is the sole reason I would ever go back to playing Melee. I miss that fellow.

I was a dedicated Pichu player. But why the designed a weak-ish character who's own moves damage him is beyond me.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 04:32:58 am »

I can't really say I'm a die hard melee player, but wasn't Pichus moves kinda strong? I've played a few semi-pros in Sweden with my Pichu and they all got surprised that he could actually do damage. Most people shrug him off as a bad character because he damages himself (which is horrible). He has a few ones that doesn't, though. And those were the ones that you spammed.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 06:59:35 am »
+1

If I remember correctly, he was generally weaker than Pikachu in almost every way. He had a few good qualities, but nowhere near enough to redeem him.

He's always hovered around the bottom of the tier list. People have tried to make use of him, and generally failed.

... The discrepancies in character goodness aren't quite as large. You can't just Smash Move the smaller, weaker characters off the side of the map and kill them with 25% damage. There is no Pichu, etc.

Except Meta Knight is so good he's been banned in competitive play, which hasn't happened to any other character before. And Ganondorf is pretty garbage...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:13:53 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 08:04:08 am »

To be honest, I don't take tier-lists too seriously. I'm not really saying that Pichu is good. Just that he actually could do something. And most of the smashers I've talked to have all said that Pichu is garbage and cant' do anything.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 08:38:56 am »

Tier Lists are about as useful as all our card rankings.  You'll get yourself into trouble if you follow them blindly, but Pichu is like Transmute: definitely somewhere near the bottom.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 08:58:04 am »
+2

That was probably the meanest thing anyone ever said to me about Pichu.  :'(

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 09:02:55 am »

I'd say they're a lot less useful than our card rankings. With cards, often going for the power cards when there's no great combo and no good counter when your opponents don't will lead to a win, even if your opponent is someone considerably better than you. Tier lists only matter if skill is incredibly close, and even then, it's the actual matchup between characters that really matters - tiers are just a generalisation of those (for the most part), and even then, tiers only matter at the metagame level of play, and even then, they have less of an impact than luck does in many cases.

In other words, tier lists for Smash Bros. are irrelevant to 99% of people.
Yet 1% of the players seem to control 99% of the opinions. Occupy Tier List!
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 10:17:06 am »

That's true.  The Tier Lists assume a lot more mastery of the game than card rankings: if you aren't SHFFLing then you won't really appreciate the power of a lot of top tier characters (e.g. Fox / Falco / Marth). 

I wonder if there has been a "casual" Tier List for people who don't use advanced techniques.  I'd imagine that Sheik / Marth would still be very high, and Samus would rise quite a bit.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 10:20:17 am »
+1

Feel free to send a friend request if interested.  My SteamID is p4ddy0d00rs (I have to have numbers instead of vowels in my name because I am a super-1337 uber-pro MLG haxor, lol).  I haven't been on in the past week or so due to the crazy work hours for the impending tax deadline (I am a public accountant), but I'll be logging on a lot in the next few days.
It was kind of hilarious playing TF2 with p4ddy0d00rs last night, listening the entire server rage and complain about his mini-sentries.  Those things are a gigantic PITA: too small to want to bother with, but too damaging to ignore.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 10:38:42 am »

Feel free to send a friend request if interested.  My SteamID is p4ddy0d00rs (I have to have numbers instead of vowels in my name because I am a super-1337 uber-pro MLG haxor, lol).  I haven't been on in the past week or so due to the crazy work hours for the impending tax deadline (I am a public accountant), but I'll be logging on a lot in the next few days.
It was kind of hilarious playing TF2 with p4ddy0d00rs last night, listening the entire server rage and complain about his mini-sentries.  Those things are a gigantic PITA: too small to want to bother with, but too damaging to ignore.

Okay, I'm guessing I can answer my own question by logging onto TF2, but I haven't done that in over a year, so I'm obviously going to have to rely on the kindness strangers…

But what mini-sentries? Something new was added?
A man has no signature

paddyodoors

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 11:11:04 am »
+1

Okay, I'm guessing I can answer my own question by logging onto TF2, but I haven't done that in over a year, so I'm obviously going to have to rely on the kindness strangers…

But what mini-sentries? Something new was added?

Released in the Engineer Update on 8 July 2010: the Gunslinger was added as a melee option for the Engy (same slot as the Wrench).  When using the Gunslinger, the Engineer does not build a traditional sentry; he builds a Combat Mini-Sentry, which is a quick building, non-upgradeable sentry with a lower cost.  Check the links for details.

Basically, the mini-sentries are great for harassing the enemy.  They can't deny area nearly as well as the traditional sentry, but it makes the Engy more mobile.  He basically becomes a slow scout with a fast-firing, weak, quickly-deployed level 1 sentry.

That being said, in the right situations, it is one of the most fun ways to play.

paddyodoors

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 11:17:53 am »

Yeah, it was a blast -- we were playing two maps in which the "Combat Engy" loadout can do really well (KOTH ProViaduct and KOTH Nucleus).  I was definitely rofl as the other team raged and raged.  Good times.

theory, you were rocking the Combat Engy for a good chunk of the time I was on, too...  so fun, amirite?

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 12:12:07 pm »
+3

As someone that's been involved in the competitive Melee scene for upwards of five years, dear god do I never want to read another argument about tier lists. And this forum was the last place I expected to find one...

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 12:17:56 pm »

If I remember correctly, he was generally weaker than Pikachu in almost every way. He had a few good qualities, but nowhere near enough to redeem him.

He's always hovered around the bottom of the tier list. People have tried to make use of him, and generally failed.

... The discrepancies in character goodness aren't quite as large. You can't just Smash Move the smaller, weaker characters off the side of the map and kill them with 25% damage. There is no Pichu, etc.

Except Meta Knight is so good he's been banned in competitive play, which hasn't happened to any other character before. And Ganondorf is pretty garbage...

Well, having played both games a lot, having been pretty good but nowhere near "tournament" level, Brawl seemed the more balanced of the two. That could be totally wrong, it was just my impression. And sure, Meta Knight is fairly dominating, even at my non-tournament level of play, but that was true for Marth, Falco, Fox, and Sheik in Melee. You just had so many terrible characters like Pichu, who was outclassed by Pikachu in every way.

But maybe I'm biased because Zelda (not Sheik) is my favorite character to play, and she was significantly stronger in Brawl...
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 12:23:02 pm »

Released in the Engineer Update on 8 July 2010: the Gunslinger was added as a melee option for the Engy (same slot as the Wrench).  When using the Gunslinger, the Engineer does not build a traditional sentry; he builds a Combat Mini-Sentry, which is a quick building, non-upgradeable sentry with a lower cost.  Check the links for details.

Holy crap. I've been way out of TF2. I must check it out again.

Better examine my balance of wife points this weekend.
A man has no signature

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 12:24:27 pm »

Just an FYI for anyone who cares:
The Diablo 3 beta is open for the weekend starting at noon PDT today. (about 2.5 hours from the time of this post)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »
+1

The Diablo 3 beta is open for the weekend starting at noon PDT today. (about 2.5 hours from the time of this post)

While I likely won't play it, I did enjoy the first two immensely(until duping became ridiculous). So I very much hope that it is every bit as much fun and sees great success (although with Blizzard's fan base, that's not likely to be an issue).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:11:35 pm by Galzria »
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 01:07:09 pm »

I have just downloaded the client, and I will be on as soon as the boy is asleep tonight... probably around 9pm eastern.  If anyone wants to start a new char around then, PM me.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 01:10:21 pm »

Oh - and because theory is a cheap punk who wouldn't recognize a good game if it jumped up and bit him in the Ambassador, is anyone out there playing Fez?

I can't recommend it enough, and would love to discuss puzzle hints with someone in a non spoilerific manner.... and I'm too afraid to even search the internet.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

paddyodoors

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 03:37:50 pm »

paddyodoors

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 03:42:06 pm »

Holy crap. I've been way out of TF2. I must check it out again.

Yes, you do.  Or at least I think you should... but my opinion is obviously biased towards having awesome, insane amounts of fun.

TF2 is doing really well, IMHO.  I have generally removed myself from all the hat craziness -- so playing the game solely for the gameplay has really helped me enjoy it more.  I like a more serious game (instead of a silly 2Fort fragfest devoid of strategy/tactics/teamwork), and TF2 certainly satisfies.

Hit me up on Steam (user p4ddy0d00rs) if you're using that to play TF2.  Hopefully I'll be on quite a bit this weekend.  Tax season is now over, so I'm taking a weekend to just veg out.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:44:34 pm by paddyodoors »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 04:51:11 pm »
+1

I played Melee at a semi-competitive level before I got frustrated with my main's position on the tier list and quit. For sure, Melee is a hugely unbalanced game (though not as much as Brawl) and the tier list really does matter.

I also speedrun Fire Emblem: http://www.youtube.com/user/dondonSDA

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 07:13:18 pm »

I have just downloaded the client, and I will be on as soon as the boy is asleep tonight... probably around 9pm eastern.  If anyone wants to start a new char around then, PM me.
Constantly getting the message: The servers are busy at this time.  :(

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2012, 08:36:20 pm »

I also speedrun Fire Emblem: http://www.youtube.com/user/dondonSDA

Man, how did I come here and forget to mention Fire Emblem? Easily my favourite video game series. In a way it's a bit like Dominion... uh, if you squint your eyes a bit, I mean. In that you start with a small group of weak characters, and you have to rapidly aim to build them up while filtering out characters too weak to use, all the while the enemies get progressively stronger too and you need to keep on top of them, or die trying. Okay, it's not really THAT like Dominion at all.

Anyway, Dondon and I know each other from another forum (a Fire Emblem one) we both frequent. Well, I knew him. I'm pretty much a nobody there while he's pretty famous, quite possibly the best player in the English-speaking world, or close to it.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2012, 02:15:46 am »

Constantly getting the message: The servers are busy at this time.  :(

There was an issue early in the evening, and they restricted the max connections, but it seemed to be opened back up by around 6:30 Central time.  As far as I know it is working now.  I played most of the evening and it is pretty good despite the limited content.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 2.271 seconds with 20 queries.