Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hanging on by the skin-of-your-(pirates')-teeth  (Read 584 times)

paddyodoors

Hanging on by the skin-of-your-(pirates')-teeth
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:57:46 am »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120415-000324-6fe2663f.html
(edit: now it is the CR link)

I've never ever played a game like this one.  Similar cards, maybe -- but not similar narrative or result.

And before I discuss further, let me state that [MAD] Mergus is a gentlemanly opponent.  Couldn't find a more polite chap if you tried.  And patient.

And another thing: I wouldn't have stuck with this game if it weren't for advice that WW gave a little while ago: namely, never ever resign unless your chances of victory are impossible rather than just highly improbable.  So thank you, WW.

Province game:
Harem
Nobles
Bazaar
Market
Pirate Ship
Remake
Spy
Treasure Map
Develop
Chapel

Uninteresting board... I am generally unimpressed with Pirate Ships, the only attack with teeth.

- My plan is to Chapel -> Big Money.  At $6 (until Duchy time), ONE Gold, then ONE Nobles (as an expensive 2VP Smithy), then spam Harem.
- If he went for the Pirate Ships, I would instead switch over to Markets and/or Bazaars.  And trash my treasure along the way so as not to help him build Pirate gold.

Long story short:
-Opponent opens Treasure Map/Chapel.
-2nd Map purchased turn 4, they hit on turn 5.
-I decide to switch over to a Pirate Ship strategy, aquiring Nobles and Bazaars to draw/give actions to my four Pirate Ships.
-My ships suck for a while, and my opponent takes advantage of that, quickly buying up 7(!) Provinces.  My heart rate increases notably.
-Eventually, ships stop sucking.  Heart throttling down.
... (purchase what seemed like at the time were more cards than one person should be allowed to purchase in one game of Dominion)
-Crazy come-from-behind win.  See the log and or/ask questions for details.  It was a doozy.

Thoughts on the game?  I made a couple of mistakes.  Feel free to call them out. :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:37:41 am by paddyodoors »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.028 seconds with 18 queries.