Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: An Interesting game using some traditionally lack luster cards  (Read 1075 times)

Toblakai

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile

found myself with a 5/2 split vs a 4/3 split with

cards in supply:
$6-Border Village,
$5-Horn of Plenty, Mint,
$4-Bridge, Farming Village, Navigator, Worker's Village
$3-Trade Route, Wishing Well,
$2-Lighthouse

With a bit of luck I managed to pull off what I feel was the most interesting and dynamic strategy I've managed to date.

I open HoP, Lighthouse planning to use my HoP to gain lots of the 2,3,&4$ cantrips and eventually get an action chain that will bring me up to 6 to 8 different cards in play.

Without any good card draw I grab a Navigator to help cycle my deck early and then hopefully pull off some village > Navigator > wishing well turns.

(at this point I'm thinking my plan is too complicated and there is a good chance it will not work, but what the hell this strategy will be more fun to play)

Turn 5 I get lucky, playing all my good cards and using Navigator to discard a 5 card hand of coppers and estates, reshuffling my deck.

Turn 7 I have my luckiest draw of the game, 5 copper which i can trash by buying a Mint.

Turn 9 I use my TR to trash the Mint as I only need one or two of each different treasure cards in this deck and I don't want this terminal to derail my action chains as well clogging up my deck with unwanted treasure.

On turn 10 I use my Wishing well, the mystery card is the last card on my draw pile so I wrack my brain and guess at which card I don't think I've played yet.  I'm usually terrible at keeping track of what cards are left in my draw pile but this time my hunch was correct, powering my HoP into gaining a Border village.

Turn 11 it all comes together. My FV draws my Navigator which allows me to play two wishing wells to draw four prearranged cards. I'm able to trash a HoP for a Province and buy a second Province.

Turn 12 I HoP into the Gold I'm missing from my deck

Turn 13 again I'm able to Navigator before playing a WW and as well as arrange my cards so my FV draws through a Province.

Turn 15 Again with the help of Navigator and WW, I'm able to trash my second HoP for a Province and buy another

Turn 17 Navigator + WW again, the FV allows me to draw through 2 provinces, Bridge + TR for the final Province and some estates.

I know that I got lucky this game however it's very satisfying to skillfully build a deck that uses cards like Navigator, Wishing Well, and Horn Of Plenty to scoop 6 Provinces in 17 turns as player 2.

Here is the game long
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-080458-c2de9b83.html

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: An Interesting game using some traditionally lack luster cards
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 05:12:02 pm »

Lighthouse mint FTW.

with 2 money go for another lighthouse, with 3 i would opt for trade route.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: An Interesting game using some traditionally lack luster cards
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:38:00 pm »

Yeah mint/lighthouse should be a pretty strong open here. My first reaction is that this would be a fantastic board for a bridge megaturn - if there was card draw. Navigator/Wishing well at best keeps your hand size at 5, and it's a little clunky. But I think you had the right idea. With all of the cantrips, HoP is really good here. You can easily get it up to $8. Keep in mind bridge basically counts as +2 for HoP.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.5 seconds with 21 queries.