Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Most Nailbiting Embargo Game Possible!  (Read 1613 times)

permanoob

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
The Most Nailbiting Embargo Game Possible!
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:07:27 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/14/game-20120414-010029-f51b3120.html

2 Piles empty. Score is tied. I went first. He could empty the third pile easily, so I have to embargo any pile before he can empty it. Since the score was tied, he couldn't buy the last hamlet for fear of decreasing his score by one single point. This game is perhaps the greatest argument for Point Counter. Anybody care to share other embargo experiences, or comment on my copious errors with HoP in this game?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Nailbiting Embargo Game Possible!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:27 pm »

One time I my opponent opened Potion, planning on an alchemist chain, so I opened embargo. He called me a dirty word and immediately resigned.

As for your game, I have to think Hunting Party stack with a Merchant ship or two should crush here. You even have the feasts to bootstrap you up to HP's in the early going.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:01:18 pm »

One time I my opponent opened Potion, planning on an alchemist chain, so I opened embargo. He called me a dirty word and immediately resigned.

I've done that before, too. The presence of $Potion cards is one of Embargo's best uses. Especially because many of them you want to buy in bulk (Alchemist, Familiar, University, Apothecary, Vineyard).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

paddyodoors

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:54:25 pm »

The crazy thing is -- if he had the foresight to know that he was doomed as soon as you bought embargo, why did he buy potion?  Really odd...

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:00:04 am »

Well he sarcastically told me how buying embargo was such a classy move. So maybe he expected me to take some sort of imaginary highroad? Just let him do his thing? No idea.

paddyodoors

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:09:11 am »

Well he sarcastically told me how buying embargo was such a classy move. So maybe he expected me to take some sort of imaginary highroad? Just let him do his thing? No idea.

rofl -- no such thing in a game.  If it's legal, and it gives you advantage, than doing otherwise is stupid.

Obviously there are considerations outside of the game -- but none of the actual cards of the game (in this case, Embargo) should be part of those considerations.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:34:56 am »

Man, I am just horrible at Embargo. Or I overestimate how much the Curses hurt. But I also buy it a lot, because I like the card too much.

Embargo experiences I remember include:

The general "Embargo Province to buy time for my deck to catch up".
Getting horribly locked out of the game by a Governor deck that Embargoed Governors 2 or 3 times (don't remember which) and Province 6 (!) times, using Governor Remodels to cruise to an easy victory.
Isodom game where I tried doing Treasure Map/Embargo Gold with no other TM enablers (which was horrible)
General Potion blocking (one IRL game where I tried to Embargo Familiar before anyone could buy it, one game where I Embargoed Vineyad)
An engine game where I got a heavy lead by Embargoing Village, then repeatedly Embargoed Village and bought 2 to empty the Curses out for the 3-pile.
Blocking Duchy/Estate in response to early Hoards (the one game where I felt I actually played Embargo well)

It's just so amazingly game-warping, if someone decides to warp it.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.933 seconds with 20 queries.