Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I hate Loan...  (Read 1442 times)

mDuo13

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
I hate Loan...
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:07:16 pm »

I think this is a nice summary:

(This is with only 2 Golds and like 5-6 other treasures in the deck)

I'm pretty sure my Loans hit Gold more often than they hit Copper this game. On the plus side, I was able to discard to Mountebank pretty often, but it wasn't much consolation when I couldn't draw money to save my life.

-> full game

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Loan...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:38:17 am »

Ah well, a 2/5 against you with Mountebank on the board is always going to hurt.

Personally though, I'd have opened differently on seeing your opponent have a $2 opening hand, as with Mountebank around the chances of Fools Gold colliding are much reduced. Likewise, Ghost Ship may have been a poor attack card of choice against a Fools Gold player, as they only need 3 FGs to hit province, and can stack back FGs on thr turns when they don't have that, increasing the odds for that turn.

My own choice would have been to answer Fool's Gold with Ambassador, and Mountebank with Ambassador.

A double Ambassador opening would have passed curses and coppers back to your opponent, as well as keeping his FGs apart. After that, Money all the way to Provinces!

If I may, I'd observe that you were playing only your own half of the table, and disregarding what happened on the other side. Fool's Gold / Loan might be reasonably quick in a solo game, but in the face of another player, with the cards on table, Ambassador was the crux card, and Fool's Gold a weak point.

Likewise, while City, Apprentice, Black Market and Ghost Ship are all excellent cards, and even Develop can be useful, I don't think they fitted your strategy, the game situation or your deck at the time you bought them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:41:32 am by Asklepios »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:12:43 am »

Loan vs Mountebank is excellent and should actually be the cornerstone of your strategy, allowing for a mid game apprentice too. You need to pick a non-treasure partner to open and push you to 5 coin hands so the black market seems most promising. Baron is usually a really bad card to use against mountebanks but it might just be possible with this kingdom.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:07:16 am »
+1

My own choice would have been to answer Fool's Gold with Ambassador, and Mountebank with Ambassador.

A double Ambassador opening would have passed curses and coppers back to your opponent, as well as keeping his FGs apart. After that, Money all the way to Provinces!
He got his only Ambassador from the Black Market deck.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:24:16 pm »

He got his only Ambassador from the Black Market deck.

Very unobservant of me! My bad.

Well, that in mind, I'd have gone silver-silver, and hoped to get back in the game as soon as possible by getting my own Mountebank. All in all though, player 1 2/5 or 5/2 with Mountebank on board is bad news for player 2
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.