Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rising Sun Rulebook Is Out  (Read 3781 times)

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +378
    • View Profile
Rising Sun Rulebook Is Out
« on: August 09, 2024, 12:45:48 pm »
+7

https://www.riograndegames.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/DomRisingSunRules.pdf

The rulebook for Rising Sun is released, here are the remaining cards.

10 more kingdom cards

Snake Witch ($2, Action-Attack)
+1 Card
+1 Action
If your hand has no duplicate cards, you may reveal it and return this to its pile, to have each other player gain a Curse.

Aristocrat ($3, Action)
If the number of Aristocrats you have in play is…
1 or 5, +3 Actions;
2 or 6, +3 Cards;
3 or 7, +$3;
4 or 8, +3 Buys.

Craftsman ($3, Action)
+2D
Gain a card costing up to $5.

Imperial Envoy ($5, Action)
+5 Cards
+1 Buy
+2D

Litter ($5, Action)
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+1D

Rice Broker ($5, Action)
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. If it’s a Treasure, +2 Cards. If it’s an Action, +5 Cards.

Ronin ($5, Action-Shadow)
Draw until you have 7 cards in hand.

You can play this from your deck as if in your hand.

Backside: When shuffling this, put it on the bottom of your deck.

Tanuki ($5, Action-Shadow)
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

You can play this from your deck as if in your hand.

Backside: When shuffling this, put it on the bottom of your deck.

Tea House ($5, Action-Omen)
+1 Sun
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$2

Samurai ($6, Action-Duration-Attack)
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand (once). At the start of each of your turns this game, +$1.
(This stays in play.)

6 more prophecies

Approaching Army
After you play an Attack card, +$1.

Setup: Add an Attack kingdom card pile to the Supply.

Biding Time
At the start of your Clean-up, set aside your hand face down. At the start of your next turn, put those cards into your hand.

Bureaucracy
When you gain a card that doesn’t cost $0, gain a Copper.

Good Harvest
The first time you play each differently named Treasure each turn, first, +1 Buy and +$1.

Harsh Winter
When you gain a card on your turn, if it has D on its pile, take it; otherwise put 2D on its pile.

Progress
When you gain a card, put it onto your deck.

4 more events

Asceticism ($2)
Pay any amount of $ to trash that many cards from your hand.

Foresight ($2)
Reveal cards from your deck until revealing an Action. Set it aside and discard the rest. Put it into your hand at end of turn.

Sea Trade ($4)
+1 Card per Action card you have in play. Trash up to that many cards from your hand.

Receive Tribute ($5)
If you’ve gained at least 3 cards this turn, gain up to 3 differently named Action cards you don’t have copies of in play.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1543
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: Rising Sun Rulebook Is Out
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2024, 12:57:51 pm »

I'm loving these on-play debt cards. They're so simple and yet seem complex strategy-wise.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10839
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2024, 01:30:09 pm »

These are all linked now too, though looks like images aren't available yet. Loading this page before new cards were added made it really stand out how many of these card names contained already-existing card names.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2024, 01:33:22 pm »
+2

I'm surprised by Tea House—it's so much cheaper than Grand Market!

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1595
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2024, 01:46:05 pm »
+2

Yeah, it seems kind of weird to have a $7 at a price of $5.

Jesster

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2024, 02:04:36 pm »
+3

How is Tea House a $7?  Its Grand Market without the no copper limitation, and swapping +Buy for + Sun.  Sure, removing the copper limitation is definitely a plus, but I'd say swapping the +Buy for +Sun is a net negative.  Extra buys are pretty much always good.  +Sun could be good or bad for you depending on which prophecy is out and how close it is to triggering (and of course the +Sun does nothing after the prophecy is triggered).

All in all it does seem somewhat cheap at $5 but $7 seems a bit too much.

Nukatha

• Baron
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2024, 02:11:59 pm »
+1

Tanuki is Remodel (Animal Crossing reference)?
Craftsman is an excellent Workshop variant. Even when incurring debt, gaining $5 cards feels good.
And he's there for you whenever you need his services, that's wonderful.
Rice Broker gets crazy when your treasures become actions (or vice-versa), and I appreciate that he can do something with Copper unlike the original Broker.
Sea Trade is akin to overpaying for Infirmary, I like it.
Meeting the Receive Tribute condition will sometimes be trivial, and sometimes a very difficult minigame, but the reward can be great, especially when procced early.
Aristocrat apparently can do nothing if played while not in play (such as with Necromancer).
I appreciate that an Imperial Envoy will do what you want (at a cost)  instead of listening to your opponent like the original Envoy.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 02:59:47 pm by Nukatha »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2024, 02:21:52 pm »
+1

How is Tea House a $7?

The Other Secret History of the Prosperity Cards
Grand Market: Originally it cost $7 and was "+1 Card +1 Action +$2." People sure complained about it not having +1 Buy. "How is it a Grand Market?" they'd say. So I added +1 Buy, and then later took the anti-Copper clause from another card.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5303
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2024, 02:27:33 pm »
+9

And pretty much strictly better than Mystic. Maybe that's a hint for an upcoming Dark Ages 2E.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2024, 02:35:12 pm »
+1

Approaching Army now gives a way to increase the kingdom to 12 piles, neat. Sadly it cannot appear together with Divine Wind, so that the maximum amount of kingdom card piles you can see in a game remains at 21.

Nukatha

• Baron
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2024, 02:48:14 pm »
+2

Approaching Army now gives a way to increase the kingdom to 12 piles, neat.
It fits in nice and thematically with Invasion.
The prophecy states the army is approaching, and once fulfilled, it makes an Invasion easier to trigger.

Try a game with Tax+ Harsh Winter for a true communist peasant experience!

Or, Here's the most wintery Kingdom I can make for now:
Harsh Winter/Scouting Party (Launch also appears to be a wintery scene, but I think Scouting Party fits a bad winter theme better)
(2)Sleigh
(2)Crossroads
(3)Snowy Village
(3)Urchin/Mercenary
(4)Mining Village
(4/5)Sauna/Avanto
(4)Ironmonger
(5D)Mountain Shrine
I think that's it for Kingdom cards depicting snow.
So I'll pad it with two interior scenes:
(3)Stockpile (You weren't completely unprepared)
(3)Root Cellar (And you stored some vegetables too)

Edit: Tracker(2)/Pouch is another actual winter scene.
I think I'd remove Stockpile from the above in order to fit it in.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 02:55:16 am by Nukatha »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2024, 02:52:49 pm »
+1

I'm sure this will be discussed in secret history or other various places, but I'm curious about how the design aspect of Prophecies / Omens worked in terms of deciding what cards should get a +sun. (I guess I should update the extension to add a button for the sun icon). It almost seems like a +sun icon automatically works just as well on any card compared to any other card. It doesn't seem like it normally increases card power, since all players are affected by the Prophecy. And it can't really be that the rest of the card's effects happen to synergize with the Prophecy, since the Prophecy is different every game.

It's a little similar to Favors/Allies, but in that case, the Favor token is purely an increase to a card's power, just one whose power depends on the which Ally is used.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +757
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2024, 03:01:54 pm »

I'm sure this will be discussed in secret history or other various places, but I'm curious about how the design aspect of Prophecies / Omens worked in terms of deciding what cards should get a +sun. (I guess I should update the extension to add a button for the sun icon). It almost seems like a +sun icon automatically works just as well on any card compared to any other card. It doesn't seem like it normally increases card power, since all players are affected by the Prophecy. And it can't really be that the rest of the card's effects happen to synergize with the Prophecy, since the Prophecy is different every game.

It's a little similar to Favors/Allies, but in that case, the Favor token is purely an increase to a card's power, just one whose power depends on the which Ally is used.

Sure, but several of the prophecies help you on the turn they get triggered, so gives you the advantage (for the positive ones) first.

Which could be interesting choice in a two player game of possibly choosing not to play the 4th omen, in order to not let your opponent trigger the prophecy first? (or for the negative ones, not triggering the 5th?)

My guess is it will usually not usually counterbalance whatever advantage you would have from playing the card (e.g. Teah House), but there will be some cases where I think it could / would matter. One quick example I can think of is you're not wanting to trigger divine wind to be able to gain cards you want / need from the original board. (though this could also work, the opposite, e.g. if you can grab the nth +1 Grand Market and then trigger Divine Wind on that same turn, to win an odd split of the pile).
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

D782802859

• Explorer
  • Respect: +420
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2024, 03:26:53 pm »
+2

I'd speculate it has to do with cards that are likely to get used in the majority of kingdoms. Poet and Teahouse are spammable cantrips, Rustic Village is a village (obviously), Kitsune is a cursing attack, and the two Shrines are both trashers. They all have a pretty high likelihood of being either key cards or cards you incidentally pick up.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +26122
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2024, 03:48:34 pm »
+6

Grand Market: Originally it cost $7 and was "+1 Card +1 Action +$2." People sure complained about it not having +1 Buy. "How is it a Grand Market?" they'd say. So I added +1 Buy, and then later took the anti-Copper clause from another card.
And originally Market cost $5 and just had +1 Buy with nothing else, but we don't use that as a benchmark either.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2024, 03:50:03 pm »
+3

And originally Market cost $5 and just had +1 Buy with nothing else, but we don't use that as a benchmark either.

Glad that got nerfed; wouldn't have been fun to just have every game where that was available devolve into a race to get the most Markets.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1421
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2024, 04:09:44 pm »
+1

Approaching Army now gives a way to increase the kingdom to 12 piles, neat. Sadly it cannot appear together with Divine Wind, so that the maximum amount of kingdom card piles you can see in a game remains at 21.

In principle, Approaching Army itself could even cause two piles to be added: The Attack chosen is Young Witch, and then Young Witch adds the Bane pile!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2024, 04:15:01 pm »

Rice Broker + Enlightenment: Trash a Copper for +7 Cards!

Yay! My prediction that one of the Shadow cards would be a trasher was correct!

Harsh Winter is an interesting variation on Taxation
They/them

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2024, 04:15:29 pm »

A principle I can see is that the Sun icon is not on cheap cards (which makes sense if you want to avoid Prophecies triggering super early); all the Omens are $4+ (rsp. 5D).

I'm kind of sad that we don't get an Event-Omen.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2024, 04:21:03 pm »

Indeed, that first version clearly *wasn't* worth $7, given that it ended up getting changed

Tea House really seems more like a Conspirator that is automatically activated every time, with the +1 sun added to it
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2024, 04:30:07 pm »
+1

I just realized that Biding Time effectively means that Victory cards will stay out of your discard pile, except for when you initially gain them, unless you discard them for any reason. That's really going to shake things up!
They/them

Holger

• Jester
  • Respect: +497
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2024, 05:17:45 pm »
+1

I just realized that Biding Time effectively means that Victory cards will stay out of your discard pile, except for when you initially gain them, unless you discard them for any reason. That's really going to shake things up!

Yes, so after Biding Time happens you can green without bloating your deck except for one shuffle. And you can also "exile" any other card you don't want to draw again, like Curses and Coppers, for as long as you want.
However, draw-to-x cards become practically useless.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2024, 01:16:32 am »
+3

Indeed, that first version clearly *wasn't* worth $7, given that it ended up getting changed

Tea House really seems more like a Conspirator that is automatically activated every time, with the +1 sun added to it
You are often willing to „pay“ 7 or 8 (you spend 6 while having one or two Coppers in hand) for Grand Market. You are willing to work hard to make a Conspirator deck work. So yeah, I feel safe in claiming that 5 for a DoublePeddler is too cheap.

JW

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1857
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2024, 01:57:55 am »
+6

Most of the time, not counting Omen impacts, Tea House (double Peddler) has the same purpose as Gold. But it’s much better than Gold (Gold = Tea House + Copper, approximately) and costs $5 instead of $6. To me, that makes for less interesting games.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2024, 02:07:33 am »
+3

Most of the time, not counting Omen impacts, Tea House (double Peddler) has the same purpose as Gold. But it’s much better than Gold (Gold = Tea House + Copper, approximately) and costs $5 instead of $6. To me, that makes for less interesting games.
For me, that's fine actually. Most kingdom $5s are better than Gold.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.