Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Rising Sun Previews 5: More cards  (Read 3935 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1680
    • View Profile
Re: Rising Sun Previews 5: More cards
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2024, 07:47:39 am »

Can a card that is used in any other non-Supply fashion (e.g. Black Market, Way of the Mouse) be selected as a new Kingdom pile for Divine Wind?
No, no cards that are used in any fashion can be selected for Divine Wind.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5303
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2024, 07:51:32 am »
+3

Can a card that is used in any other non-Supply fashion (e.g. Black Market, Way of the Mouse) be selected as a new Kingdom pile for Divine Wind?
So in theory, that could lead to a situation where you don't have any piles to select for Divine Wind, if you make a Black Market deck out of one of every card you own.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

dirkdebeule

• Bishop
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2024, 08:26:30 am »
+2

So in theory, that could lead to a situation where you don't have any piles to select for Divine Wind, if you make a Black Market deck out of one of every card you own.
In theory this is possible.
But as “The players should agree before the game which cards will be used to create the Black Market deck” they can e.g. decide to select 10 blind cards from the face down Black Market pile for the future prophecy.
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

Nukatha

• Baron
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2024, 08:37:00 am »

Or, set up a Black Market with alll except ten particular cards, to guarantee a particular post-Divine Wind kingdom.

flynd

• Steward
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2024, 08:39:38 am »

Or, set up a Black Market with alll except ten particular cards, to guarantee a particular post-Divine Wind kingdom.

But since the content of the Black Market pile is known by the players, this indirectly means that the post-Divine Wind kingdom would also be known from the start of the game.

dirkdebeule

• Bishop
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2024, 09:01:19 am »
+1

But since the content of the Black Market pile is known by the players, this indirectly means that the post-Divine Wind kingdom would also be known from the start of the game.
When Divine Wind is on the table I would suggest NOT to play with Black Market. There will be enough variety when the prophecy is activated 😜
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1543
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2024, 10:07:37 am »
+5

Are the cards selected by Divine Wind limited to cards I own, or can they be from any expansion?

If one of the piles selected by Divine Wind is missing cards (e.g. I was missing a golem for several years after dropping one of my boxes) does that pile only have 9 cards?

If I own both 1st and 2nd edition, can Divine Wind select e.g. 1st edition Moneylender if 2nd edition Moneylender was in the first kingdom?

Everyone else post your unhinged Divine Wind rules questions!

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2024, 10:11:27 am »
+4

I'm sneaking in all the Spades as one pile next time I play with Divine Wind.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +757
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2024, 11:14:52 am »

The wiki states that if there are no Boons in the Boons deck or discard pile when you are told to receive a Boon, you don't receive one. What if there are fewer than 3 unoccupied Boons at the time Druid's setup occurs?
The answer must be that you set aside what you can and that's it. Druid is worse this game.

Maybe a dumb question, but how could this happen (i.e. what is the wiki anticpating)?

Only 3 of them say "keep these until clean up" and the others are discarded after it's resolved. I imagine it must be some kind of "play a card" reaction to discarding / gaining and then Way of Mouse or similar shenanigans, but it's stil hard for me to imagine a scenario where 7 boons would be in mid resolution.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Nukatha

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2024, 11:17:08 am »
+2

Riverboat, it's like Mastermind/King's Court, except with any $5 non-duration.
Oh the silliness that can happen. 

Way of the Mouse->Riverboat->Band of Misfits->something else->Way of the Mouse
But at least that isn't infinite, due to Riverboat's delay.

Otherwise, put Small Castle, Royal Carriage, or Distant Lands on your riverboat for silliness.
OR: Wine Merchant becomes absolutely amazing when he can't go to the Tavern.
Most of the Knights could be placed on it, some better than others.
Hero and Disciple are excellent. Cursed Village will only draw 1 most of the time, but could be nice in hand-attack kingdoms.
I assume that if Pooka is riding the riverboat that all players get Cursed Gold.
First Mate at the start of a turn without costing an action is another fun idea.
I'm looking forward to seeing the recommended kingdoms in the rulebook.

cookiedrugs

• Swindler
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2024, 11:27:28 am »
+3

The wiki states that if there are no Boons in the Boons deck or discard pile when you are told to receive a Boon, you don't receive one. What if there are fewer than 3 unoccupied Boons at the time Druid's setup occurs?
The answer must be that you set aside what you can and that's it. Druid is worse this game.

Maybe a dumb question, but how could this happen (i.e. what is the wiki anticpating)?

Only 3 of them say "keep these until clean up" and the others are discarded after it's resolved. I imagine it must be some kind of "play a card" reaction to discarding / gaining and then Way of Mouse or similar shenanigans, but it's stil hard for me to imagine a scenario where 7 boons would be in mid resolution.
Gain 7x Blessed Village with next turn choice

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +757
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2024, 11:30:50 am »

Gain 7x Blessed Village with next turn choice

Of course! I should've reviews all the fate cards...
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Jesster

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2024, 12:13:12 pm »

I believe unless otherwise specified, an actoin/treasure card is considered "in play" at the time its effects are resolved, correct?

This means that if Rice is the first treasure card you play in a turn, that "Treasure" still counts towards the total number of distinct types.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10839
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2024, 01:23:11 pm »
+1

Sorry for the delay; linked.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4500
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2024, 01:32:40 pm »
+2

I believe unless otherwise specified, an actoin/treasure card is considered "in play" at the time its effects are resolved, correct?

This means that if Rice is the first treasure card you play in a turn, that "Treasure" still counts towards the total number of distinct types.

The short answer is yes.

But it's not because its effects are being resolved; it's because you've played the card and nothing has told you to move it anywhere else yet.

Jesster

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2024, 02:20:44 pm »
+1

If I have Way of the Horse, and a Kamikaze (Divine Wind) wipes out all the remaining Villages and Poor Houses, am I justified in using the few poor homeless Beggars and Urchins already in my deck as Laboratory Experiments?

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2024, 02:55:05 pm »

Hero and Disciple are excellent.
Riverboat can't set aside Hero or Disciple, only Kingdom cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1421
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2024, 03:42:18 pm »
+2

If I have Way of the Horse, and a Kamikaze (Divine Wind) wipes out all the remaining Villages and Poor Houses, am I justified in using the few poor homeless Beggars and Urchins already in my deck as Laboratory Experiments?

Assuming you mean Beggars and Urchins from the first kingdom, then they would essentially become Labs with Way of the Horse. Since they no longer have a pile to return to, it would work the same way as, e.g., Necropolis + Way of the Horse. You get your +2 Cards +1 Action, but the card doesn't go back to its pile

So, that would be potentially be a useful tactic there - stock up on cheap cantrips which will turn into labs when the Divine Wind hits!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1421
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2024, 03:55:27 pm »
+1

Riverboat, it's like Mastermind/King's Court, except with any $5 non-duration.
Oh the silliness that can happen. 

Way of the Mouse->Riverboat->Band of Misfits->something else->Way of the Mouse
But at least that isn't infinite, due to Riverboat's delay.

Otherwise, put Small Castle, Royal Carriage, or Distant Lands on your riverboat for silliness.
OR: Wine Merchant becomes absolutely amazing when he can't go to the Tavern.
Most of the Knights could be placed on it, some better than others.
Hero and Disciple are excellent. Cursed Village will only draw 1 most of the time, but could be nice in hand-attack kingdoms.
I assume that if Pooka is riding the riverboat that all players get Cursed Gold.
First Mate at the start of a turn without costing an action is another fun idea.
I'm looking forward to seeing the recommended kingdoms in the rulebook.

A Knight would be interesting, since you don't have the mutual destruction aspect. Of course, Riverboat itself could still get trashed since it's in the $3-$6 range, but it wouldn't trash the card that trashed it. Sir Vander and Dame Josephine would become just the basic Knight attack without anything extra

It'll be really interesting to see how Riverboat plays out. Getting a $5 card for only $3, but at the cost of delayed action will be quite an interesting trade off. I suppose the "non-Duration" restriction is there because tracking would be a headache if it could play a Duration card
They/them

Nukatha

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2024, 04:03:20 pm »

I don't see that explicitly stated, even in the rulebook clarifications. "In setup, choose a non-Duration Action card costing exactly $5 that isn't being used this game, and set a copy of it aside."

Similar cards like Black Market and Ferryman do specify as such.
The Menagerie rulebook clarifies that Way of the Mouse sets aside an "Action Kingdom card", but the Rising Sun rulebook just says "non-Duration Action card" for Riverboat.
I'm willing to forgive a typo of course.
But even then, it wouldn't be gamebreaking to have those few cards in the Riverboat pool, consider this my appeal to DXV to allow non-Kingdom cards costing 5 to ride in a riverboat.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 04:49:54 pm by Nukatha »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2024, 05:58:45 pm »

I don't see that explicitly stated, even in the rulebook clarifications. "In setup, choose a non-Duration Action card costing exactly $5 that isn't being used this game, and set a copy of it aside."

Similar cards like Black Market and Ferryman do specify as such.
The Menagerie rulebook clarifies that Way of the Mouse sets aside an "Action Kingdom card", but the Rising Sun rulebook just says "non-Duration Action card" for Riverboat.
The rulebook says "You can use the randomizers to find such a card". If "such a card" can be found with randomizers, then "such a card" can only be a kingdom card. But Donald X. can correct me if the intention is otherwise.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +826
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2024, 09:41:56 pm »
+1

It bugs me that Riverboat seems to have switched from setting aside a card to set-asiding a card. It's like when people stopped logging in and started loginning, or when they stopped backing up things and started backupping them.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +26122
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2024, 02:00:36 am »
+1

It bugs me that Riverboat seems to have switched from setting aside a card to set-asiding a card. It's like when people stopped logging in and started loginning, or when they stopped backing up things and started backupping them.
It's a mistake, the hyphen is supposed to be on the other "set aside." It's on the list to fix someday, along with the top line of Continue being too far to the right.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.