Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #224  (Read 1648 times)

D782802859

• Explorer
  • Respect: +417
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #224
« on: July 08, 2024, 08:45:20 pm »
+1

Weekly Design Contest #224: Pros and Cons
Design a card-shaped thing with an effect that can be both a negative and a positive.
The definition of "negative" is fairly flexible here, I'd call it something that hurts a reasonable percentage of the time. Both the upsides and the downsides of the card should both come into play relatively often; corner cases are discouraged.
Notable examples would include
Rats
Beggar
The +5 Cards discard 6 option of Innkeeper
The Gold/Silver gaining ability of Governor
Haunted Woods and Enchantress, attacks where the attack has a non-insignifigant chance of helping your opponent
Cards that would not qualify would include
Council Room, the positive and negative effects are two discrete effects.
Count, the negative effect here is much more negative than positive, and is only advantageous in corner cases.
Millitia, the attack is purely a negative for the opponent unless extremely specific cards are in the kingdom.
Try to keep entries down to 2 cards max, ideally no Traveller lines or rotating split piles.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 12:22:14 am by D782802859 »

Tiago

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tiago84
  • Respect: +207
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #224
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 09:04:57 pm »
+1

Sometimes this is great payload; in the right situation it can be Priest + Salvager.

Sometimes this is the only trasher and you were planning to Ironworks some cards.

I know this loops with Livery; it's up to D782802859 whether that's a problem. I'm willing to go with "these are variants and it's not worth adding complexity."

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1826
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 11:26:48 pm »
+3

Granary

Project
At the start of your turn, discard a card from your hand. If it costs , , or , +2 Cards.

Notes: The discard is not optional, so you may find yourself without anything that you want to discard. Its best to eat something substantial, but not as big as a Province! I believe all official projects cost at least , but there are no projects that would typically be a negative if bought as an opener, like this one would.

infangthief

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +694
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 06:01:22 am »
+1

Is there a way to clarify what would count as a single effect (eligible for this contest) and what would count as separate effects?

For example, if Council Room said "+1 Buy. Choose one: +$3; or +4 Cards and each other player draws a card." - would the second option count as a single effect that was both positive and negative?

Conversely, if Innkeeper just said "+1 Action. +5 Cards. Discard 6 Cards." - would you count the draw and discard as separate effects, thus not eligible for this contest?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2172
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 09:31:39 am »
+3

Oenologist
Action/Duration - $3
The next time you play an Action on your turn, +1 Action, +$4 and +1 Buy instead of following its instructions
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 05:19:58 pm by NoMoreFun »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 01:03:54 pm »
+1

Pick a card, any card. Sometimes you mystify them with your magic, but other times they figure out your trick.

FAQ:
-The player to your left chooses without looking at your hand.
-You may shuffle your hand before they choose.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 05:40:49 pm by 4est »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 04:03:36 pm »
+1

Is a player allowed to shuffle their hand at any point, or is it public knowledge which of the cards in hand are the two cards drawn with Magician?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 04:08:26 pm »

Mirage $3 Action
+1 Action
Set aside your Deck's top three cards face-down. The right-player chooses one to discard. Reveal and turn the rest. If the discarded card is ...
an Action or Night, +1 Action and +1 Card,
a Treasure, +1 Buy and play the Treasure before discarding,
costs $0, trash it,
costs at least $5, +$1.
:)
So here is my entry, a sifter where another chooses and a bonus for some choices. This also allows you to put the other two back in any order since it does not specify and so can be used with cards that care about that.
:)
previous:
Mirage $3 Action
+1 Action
Reveal your Deck's top three cards. The right-player chooses one to discard. If the discarded card is ...
an Action, +1 Card,
a Treasure, +1 Buy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 02:56:47 pm by BryGuy »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1516
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2024, 04:16:28 pm »

The best card is discarded so this is more like an anti-sifter with weak vanillas.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2024, 05:39:50 pm »

Is a player allowed to shuffle their hand at any point, or is it public knowledge which of the cards in hand are the two cards drawn with Magician?

Since there's no official card that cares about or rewards knowing the precise order or position of cards within a player's hand, I'd say that shuffling your hand is allowed. The design leans into randomness anyway, and I don't want players to feel like they have to track cards in their opponent's hand to play "optimally." Allowing shuffles fits with the flavor as well.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash️
  • Respect: +546
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2024, 07:30:56 pm »
+2

Midas Touch
Action - $7
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard at least one and put the rest back in any order.
Trash the top 2 cards of your deck. Gain 2 Golds, one to your hand and one onto your deck.

Money is great! Especially when you can trash two cards to get it. Be careful with what you touch, though, as you might destroy something you really care about. You can see a bit in front of you, but make sure that trying to save something doesn't cause you to hit something even more important.
they/them

D782802859

• Explorer
  • Respect: +417
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2024, 12:29:48 am »

Is there a way to clarify what would count as a single effect (eligible for this contest) and what would count as separate effects?

For example, if Council Room said "+1 Buy. Choose one: +$3; or +4 Cards and each other player draws a card." - would the second option count as a single effect that was both positive and negative?

Conversely, if Innkeeper just said "+1 Action. +5 Cards. Discard 6 Cards." - would you count the draw and discard as separate effects, thus not eligible for this contest?
I would consider the draw and discard effects of Innkeeper to be connected in ways that the positive and negative effects of Council Room aren't, in both iterations. The distinction is ambiguous, admittedly, and I'm willing to be pretty generous in terms of what does and doesn't count, what the prompt inspires people to make is more important to me than hard and fast rules.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +154
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2024, 01:39:30 am »
+1

Since there's no official card that cares about or rewards knowing the precise order or position of cards within a player's hand, I'd say that shuffling your hand is allowed. The design leans into randomness anyway, and I don't want players to feel like they have to track cards in their opponent's hand to play "optimally." Allowing shuffles fits with the flavor as well.
Maybe elder+catacombs? (you must discard the card that just went to your hand)
Who trashes the trashers?

infangthief

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2024, 02:26:28 am »

Maybe elder+catacombs? (you must discard the card that just went to your hand)
That's an interesting one yes. I mean, in real life you should physically not put the cards into your hand so that it is clearly the same 3 cards.

Apart from that, I assume that shuffling your hand is always permitted. There are lots of cases with official cards in which your opponent could benefit if they could keep track of the positions of cards in your hand, but I'm fairly sure such tracking is not intended to be part of the game.

HorazVitae

• Steward
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2024, 02:26:03 pm »

Kookaburra
If your deck and discard aren't both empty, choose one:
+2 Cards and +2 Actions; +$3 and +1 Buy.
Then, reveal the top card of your deck and trash it.

The kookaburra watches you trash a random card and laughs at you if you didn't want to trash that card.

Trashing can be good (usually early). But since you can't control what you trash, it gets worse the better your deck gets. And funnier for everyone else and also the kookaburra.

infangthief

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2024, 03:55:56 am »
+1

Con Artist
$4 Night - Duration - Attack

At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Buy and +$1.
Until then, players may not end their Buy phases when they could buy a card.

FAQ:
  • In most situations, the attack just means that other players must use up all of their Buys on their turns, which may mean buying cards costing $0.
  • However there may be other factors which make a player unable to buy a card and thus able to end their Buy phase. These include:
    • Being in debt. (A player is not required to pay off debt even if they have sufficient coins.)
    • Unable to afford any card in the Supply. (A player is not required to spend Coffers or play Treasures to make a card affordable.)
    • The effects of Mission, Deluded or Contraband which make some cards unbuyable.

Normally extra Buys can only be good, but with Con Artists around extra Buys can be bad. Especially this +Buy for next turn, which gives time for other players to get their own Con Artists into play.

I chose the name without noticing the pun. But now that I've noticed it, well, I can only hope that this Con Artist is a Pro. Sorry.

J410

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2024, 09:29:24 am »

Submission withdrawn, new submission in new post.

Jar of Dirt - Action
Gain an Estate and a Silver.
Draw until you have 6 cards
in hand. Trash up to 2 cards
from your hand.
When you gain this,
gain a Silver.
Turn half of your deck into Silver. Jar of Dirt provides some economy, draw and trashing, and yet you'll feel terrible playing this. At least the Estates should eventually run out.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 04:26:51 pm by J410 »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2024, 09:50:47 am »
+2

Jar of Dirt - Action
Gain an Estate and a Silver.
Draw until you have 6 cards
in hand. Trash up to 2 cards
from your hand.
When you gain this,
gain a Silver.
Turn half of your deck into Silver. Jar of Dirt provides some economy, draw and trashing, and yet you'll feel terrible playing this. At least the Estates should eventually run out.
This seems like it enables a really strong monolithic strategy, like a Jack of all Trades on steroids. Indeed it is better than Jack in basically every way, and costs less.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1516
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2024, 11:56:20 am »
+1

Con Artist
$4 Night - Duration - Attack

At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Buy and +$1.
Until then, players may not end their Buy phases when they could buy a card.

FAQ:
  • In most situations, the attack just means that other players must use up all of their Buys on their turns, which may mean buying cards costing $0.
  • However there may be other factors which make a player unable to buy a card and thus able to end their Buy phase. These include:
    • Being in debt. (A player is not required to pay off debt even if they have sufficient coins.)
    • Unable to afford any card in the Supply. (A player is not required to spend Coffers or play Treasures to make a card affordable.)
    • The effects of Mission, Deluded or Contraband which make some cards unbuyable.

Normally extra Buys can only be good, but with Con Artists around extra Buys can be bad. Especially this +Buy for next turn, which gives time for other players to get their own Con Artists into play.

I chose the name without noticing the pun. But now that I've noticed it, well, I can only hope that this Con Artist is a Pro. Sorry.
The idea is not new but there are very few fan cards with it. I love the card but do not see how it fits the contest. It is a pure attack that does not hurt you in any way unless you consider the notion that the card becomes weaker when other players also go for the card.
I would not as a Curser like Witch also becomes weaker when other players go for Witch.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 01:00:22 pm by segura »

infangthief

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2024, 12:02:10 pm »
+1

The effect that can be both negative and positive is the +1 Buy next turn.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2172
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2024, 09:25:06 pm »
+3

As written, you aren't under any obligation to use that buy, as it happens after the start of your next turn (where the compulsory buys effect expires).

infangthief

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2024, 02:33:05 am »
+2

As written, you aren't under any obligation to use that buy, as it happens after the start of your next turn (where the compulsory buys effect expires).
And yet there is a not-insignificant possibility that you will be obliged to use that buy, because Con Artist is in the kingdom, so another player might play one before your next turn.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2024, 10:20:59 am »
+7

Industrialization - $6
Project

At the start of your turn, gain an Action card to your hand.
Do not discard your hand or draw cards during Clean-up.

Clarification: This only effects the standard draw of 5 cards; if you mange to play a card with +Cards during Clean-up, you will still get those.

Tiago

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tiago84
  • Respect: +207
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2024, 10:59:15 am »
+2

Industrialization - $6
Project

At the start of your turn, gain an Action card to your hand.
Do not discard your hand or draw cards during Clean-up.

Clarification: This only effects the standard draw of 5 cards; if you mange to play a card with +Cards during Clean-up, you will still get those.

My brain hurts. Can someone please explain how you'd play with this?

fika monster

• Minion
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +520
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2024, 12:37:13 pm »

Grand Roundabout

8debt duration-action

Now or at the start of your next turn, discard any number of cards, then draw untill you have ten cards in hand. Reveal your hand and put all non-Action cards onto your deck in any order.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.