Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #222: Take Five  (Read 2085 times)

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #222: Take Five
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2024, 05:16:32 pm »
+3

Leap (Action, $5)
+5 Cards
+1 Action
At the start of your Buy phase, loose all $ and discard down to 3 cards in hand.

fika monster

• Minion
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +522
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2024, 03:46:03 am »

Leap (Action, $5)
+5 Cards
+1 Action
At the start of your Buy phase, loose all $ and discard down to 3 cards in hand.

Spelling error: should say "lose all $"

my thoughts: seems too all or nothing in a way. im wondering if it could instead be
"at the start of your buy phase, gain one debt for each card in your hand"
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Minion
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +522
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2024, 03:59:41 am »
+3

GRAND FURNACE
EDIT

Grand furnace
Action
$5

+5 Cards
+5 Cards
Set this aside. At the start of Clean-up, you may trash an Action card you would discard from play this turn, to discard this. Otherwise, trash this.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 05:11:21 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1586
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2024, 07:18:33 am »
+2

Leap (Action, $5)
+5 Cards
+1 Action

Spelling error: should say "lose all $"

my thoughts: seems too all or nothing in a way. im wondering if it could instead be
"at the start of your buy phase, gain one debt for each card in your hand"
That is a totally different animal. The actual card is fine for single Province (payload e.g. Gold,Gold,Silver) gaining or other ways to Victory like remodeling. It totally sucks with virtual Coins whereas your card loves virtual Coins and hates Treasures (with 2 in play, Golds are mere Coppers).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3324
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2024, 08:23:53 am »
+3

The problem with Leap is that it's not unusual to make progress in ways that don't involve coins, virtual or otherwise, and then you've put a quadrupel lab on a 5$ that will make such strategies ridiculously overpowered

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2024, 08:41:33 am »
+3

__

Extra shift (5 Debt - Event)
Once per turn: +5 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy,
reveal your hand, discard the Treasures, and
return to your Action phase.

LTaco

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: LTaco
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2024, 03:25:27 pm »

24 Hour Warning

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1524
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2024, 03:44:47 pm »
+5

My Submission:

Matchmaker • $5 • Action - Duration
+5 Cards
Reveal your hand. Set aside
the Action cards (on this) and
discard the rest. While any
remain, at the start of each of
your turns, put one of the set
aside cards into your hand.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5273
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2024, 02:29:25 am »
+2

Clockmaker - $4
Action/Duration

Next time you finish playing a card and you have exactly 5 cards in your deck, +5 cards.

FAQ:
- Yes, Clockmaker can trigger off of itself, if the conditions are met.
- If you have multiple Clockmakers out, they will all trigger, so the second will trigger a reshuffle.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

J410

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2024, 10:43:33 am »

Slot Machine - - Action

+1 Action

If your deck is empty,
+5 Cards. Otherwise,
+1 Card.
A strong engine component if you can control your deck size. Usually it will be very difficult to get the +5 Cards, but adding more copies should help (unless you are already drawing your deck).

Tiago

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tiago84
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2024, 12:25:25 pm »
+1

LTaco

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2024, 07:01:47 pm »
+1

Contest Closed

I got about 2/3 through judging today. Expect the results tomorrow afternoon.

LTaco

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2024, 12:26:26 pm »
+5

Results

Crumbling City by Augie279
It's a solid card comparable in use case to Hunting Lodge, though I think maybe a little weaker since because you are forced to exchange your hand. Getting the second chance doesn't seem too impactful. My main concern is that playing with physical shuffling takes up a lot of time.

Earl by JW
I really like the direction Earl takes. Discarding Treasures is akin to Royal Blacksmith. I also like the second and third ability, as an addendum, however I think that choosing either to go on the card would have been better than both. As it is, I fear that Earl does almost everything you would ever want a card to do.

Miscounting Viscount by LibraryAdventurer
My assessment would be that +5 cards and +2 Debt is already pretty strong at $5. +5 cards has a problem of generally being harder to not overdraw too much, compared to Smithy variants. But your card offers a too convenient out for that for my tastes with the $5 cost gaining. I like the Idea of the discard trashing on a draw card though.

Grandstand by NoMoreFun
Short, sweet and to the point. An engine piece that's not exactly easy to incorporate. And I'd say its balanced too.

King by 4est
A card that draws 5 cards without penalty at $5 is simply too strong. That it only works the first time is no drawback at all since you can buy just one.

Athenaeum by D782802859
I love this. Trying to go to a low hand size is often a fun mini challenge on a board, and the reward being basically a new hand fits. Even if the Actions in the kingdom don't offer very much utility in getting your hand size down, as a consolation prize it is enough to get rid of all the Victory cards in your hand to trigger the Athenaeum in your Buy phase.

Pathfinder by silverspawn
I quite enjoy this one. It's a reasonable sifter in any engine, and on boards without trashing Pathfinder makes a niche for itself.

Silversmithy by segura
Having to trash a Silver every time is a tough condition to meet with (Silver-)gainers, basically impossible without. Even then, there are better things to do with your action than gain a Silver just to trash it again. Also, whiffing the Silver would just make you sad.

Curator by infangthief
I don't see this card being useful apart from maybe spiking a price point early. You can't play this in an Engine. In a Money deck Curators does surprisingly well. You can get 4 Provinces in about 14 turns.

Heroic Blacksmith by anordinaryman
This card clashes with itself. Either you want this as an engine component, but then you get junked with two dead Treasures, or you get this for the Treasure and you self-junk with a Copper and a dead HC.

Collector by HorazVitae
I like the concept of a terminal Menagerie. I think Collector might be a little too punishing though.

Planning Table by BryGuy
Planning Table is a sifter that affords more control than almost any other sifter, though it is hand-size-negative. Overall solid.

Arsenic Smith by grep
Self-cursing as a cost is a great direction to take. However I think the self-trashing is again far too punishing.

Leap by grrgrrgrr
Leap limits the utility of most other cards. There is however not a small number of cards that get extremely overpowered with the presence of Leap, e.g. Artificer.

Grand Furnace by fika monster
I think this is my favourite version of the (conditional) self-trashing as a downside out of the cards submitted because of the timing.

Extra Shift by Udzu
This is so much stronger than Launch at an essentially lower cost. I argue that this costs less because gain and play can recoup the $2 difference on the same turn easily, not to mention the extra 4 cards.

Matchmaker by emtzalex
I like how the main feature of Matchmaker, the archiving of Actions, is in actuality the downside to balance out the +5 cards. You probably want to play all the actions first without banishing them from your deck for who knows how long. Finding a way to build around that is probably very tricky in an Engine. It is however very potent in a money context

Clockmaker by faust
This is probably fairly easy to trigger with the right support but hard enough to properly build up to, so I think price and strength are reasonable. However when playing with physical cards, it got very annoying fairly quickly to have to constantly count the size of your deck.

Slot Machine by J410
Similar to Clockmaker, on boards with the support, triggering one or maybe two Slot Machines should be fairly doable. However here diminishing returns put a dampener on Slot Machine's usefulness, which at $3 is entirely acceptable.

Incinerator by Tiago
Incinerator puts a lot of emphasis on 3-pile endings. It also has the potential to result in a tense game of who buys green first and nukes their decks ability to draw. It has the potential to make for interesting kingdoms.

Winner: Athenaeum by D782802859

2nd place: Pathfinder by silverspawn
Honorable mentions: Grandstand by NoMoreFun and Grand Furnace by fika monster

HorazVitae

• Steward
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2024, 12:47:52 pm »
+1

Grand furnace
Action
$5
+5 Cards
Set this aside. At the start of Clean-up, you may trash an Action card you would discard from play this turn, to discard this. Otherwise, trash this.

i'm probably missing something, but is there a functional difference between this and "At the start of clean-up, trash an action card you have in play"?

D782802859

• Explorer
  • Respect: +420
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2024, 01:44:29 pm »
+4

Thank you very much for the win! Unfortunately, I'll be out of town this coming week, so I won't be able to judge, though. I'll pass judging duties to silverspawn if they're available.

JW

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1848
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2024, 01:52:26 pm »
+1

Grand furnace
Action
$5
+5 Cards

i'm probably missing something, but is there a functional difference between this and "At the start of clean-up, trash an action card you have in play"?

It’s so you can’t trash a Duration that is not yet done having its effects.

LTaco

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2024, 01:55:12 pm »
+2

Grand furnace
Action
$5
+5 Cards

This excludes duration cards that stay in play for the next turn. E.g a Caravan you played this turn can't be trashed but one from last turn can be. See Improve.

Holger

• Jester
  • Respect: +491
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2024, 02:09:45 pm »
+3

Grand furnace
Action
$5
+5 Cards

This excludes duration cards that stay in play for the next turn. E.g a Caravan you played this turn can't be trashed but one from last turn can be. See Improve.

That's a good point. However, GF could still have a more concise wording like Improve has, i.e. just "At the start of Clean-up, trash an Action card you would discard from play this turn."

This would marginally change GF's functionality when it is throned or discarded by some other card, but I think the simpler wording would be worth it.

HorazVitae

• Steward
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2024, 05:26:41 pm »

Ah i see. Makes sense.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3324
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2024, 07:01:46 pm »
+1

Thank you very much for the win! Unfortunately, I'll be out of town this coming week, so I won't be able to judge, though. I'll pass judging duties to silverspawn if they're available.

I'm available! Will have a contest up tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.