Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #215: Getting Engaged  (Read 1639 times)

Melon

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Melonpop
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #215: Getting Engaged
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2024, 06:09:23 pm »
+1

Demonstration
Action
$5
Gain a card costing up to $5. Each other player reveals a card from their hand, all at the same time. The person (in the case of a tie, every person) who revealed the highest-costing card trashes it and gains a copy of the card you gained.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 04:20:54 pm by Melon »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2024, 09:05:00 pm »
+1

Royal Advisor | Action - Command | $4
You may play a non-Command Action card from the Supply twice, leaving it there. Each other player may play a copy of it from the Supply, leaving it there.

After some play testing, it turns out the old version of Royal Advisor was often very weak. There were limited cards in Kingdoms worth throne-rooming if you give your opponents the benefit to play that card, even at start of next turn. And those cards might not even collide with your Royal Advisor, so you would rather just buy those cards instead. I first added +1 Card to it, which worked a bit -- but then I realized, playing from the supply is it's own kind of +1 Card, and solves other problems.

Unfortunately, this version is way too strong with cards that give +3 Coins, and even the existence of +2 Coins makes it too powerful as well.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +539
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2024, 11:55:38 pm »
+2

Royal Advisor | Action - Duration - Command | $4
Play a non-Command non-Duration Action card from the Supply twice, leaving it there. Each player, at the start of their next turn, may play a copy of it from the Supply, leaving it there.

Now you pick the card once, and then each player gets to play it at the start of their turn. Which is powerful, but then YOU get to play it at the start of your turn as well.

Now you might end up using to play terminal draw. Even though your opponents get that awesome free-draw at the start of their turns, you also get that benefit on your next turn. And Royal Advisor sits out reminding everyone they get that free-play.

Modified it due to JW:

Royal Advisor | Action - Command | $4
You may play a non-Command Action card from the Supply twice, leaving it there. Each other player may play a copy of it from the Supply, leaving it there.

After some play testing, it turns out the old version of Royal Advisor was often very weak. There were limited cards in Kingdoms worth throne-rooming if you give your opponents the benefit to play that card, even at start of next turn. And those cards might not even collide with your Royal Advisor, so you would rather just buy those cards instead. I first added +1 Card to it, which worked a bit -- but then I realized, playing from the supply is it's own kind of +1 Card, and solves other problems.

Unfortunately, this version is way too strong with cards that give +3 Coins, and even the existence of +2 Coins makes it too powerful as well.

I thought that +2$ without nice side-benefits could be rare. Well, I just generated 5 Kingdoms to see if you were right, and 3/5 had solid +2 coin options.

I think you're right that this is now too strong. I could move it to "cards that cost less than this" which moves the random too strong to 2/5 Kingdoms, but that's still too much... Unfortunately, I have to make it more complicated to fix it. So I fixed it above.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 11:57:34 pm by anordinaryman »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2024, 01:24:34 am »

It’s more reasonable for the power level to let other players play it at the start of their next turn, but three plays of any action for you and only one for each opponent is still going to be very imbalanced any time that there is a reasonably strong action to copy, which should be most Kingdoms.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2024, 07:44:10 am »
+1

V2:
horse trainer

You may swap the current Way for a set aside one.
Gain two Horses, playing the first one as a Way.
-
Setup: Add a Way to the kingdom if there isn't already one, and set aside two unused ones.

Updated Horse trainer. It was too good if way of the otter was on the board, and the +1 Action meddled with the card in some ways.
it now gains 2 horses instead and plays the first one as a way
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2024, 03:17:12 pm »
+2

Demonstration
Action
$5
Gain a card costing up to $5. Each other player reveals a card from their hand, all at the same time. The person (in the case of a tie, every person) who revealed the highest-costing card trashes it and gains a copy of the card you gained.

This is too weak at least in 2p games where it usually helps the opponent more than the player (the only revealed card is automatically the highest-costing).

And in multiplayer, there may not be a highest-costing card, e.g.when Golem and Gold are revealed.

Melon

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2024, 04:13:07 pm »
+2

Demonstration
Action
$5

This is too weak at least in 2p games where it usually helps the opponent more than the player (the only revealed card is automatically the highest-costing).

And in multiplayer, there may not be a highest-costing card, e.g.when Golem and Gold are revealed.

still bad but hopefully better

Demonstration
Action
$5
Play an Action card from your hand twice. Each player (including you) may reveal a card from their hand (everyone reveals at the same time). Every person who revealed the highest-costing card in $ trashes it and gains a copy of the card you played.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +422
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2024, 04:42:38 pm »
+2

Recycle Atelier (Action, $5)
Gain a card costing up to $5. If it costs $5, each other player may trash a card from their hand.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2024, 07:45:03 pm »
+1

Architect

$5 Action

Gain a card to your hand costing up to $4. Reveal a card from your hand. The player to your left may reveal a more expensive card from their hand. If they don’t, +1 Action.

Conceptually, I like Chariot Race, but the fact that it only looks at the top card of each player’s deck makes it far more random than strategic and fun. Architect is my attempt to build upon this interaction in a way that is much more controllable by the user. Your opponent may happen to have an expensive card in hand, but as long as you have one that’s at least as expensive, it’ll work out for you. And unlike Chariot Race, this actually works quite well with Potion cards.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

stars

• Pawn
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2024, 11:23:29 pm »
+3

Troubadour
$2 Action
+3 Cards
+1 Actions
Return this to its pile.
Each other player gains a Troubadour.

Like a Horse, but better. But guess what, the Horse is shared with your neighbors!

Please please give feedback. I'd really appreciate it!

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +252
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2024, 11:59:25 pm »
+4

Alright so I'll do my best to analyze and judge but I apologize in advance for things I get wrong or you disagree with. I promise I'm trying, haha.
As always I'm grateful for your ideas and effort, so thanks for each of your submissions.

Friendly Village by Tiago
Creative - A unique interactive effect! *air horn* BONUS POINTS
Balanced - Looks balanced to me. You get a cheap source of lots of Actions, they get to play cards for free
Fun - Haha this is totally fun. Another player plays this and I can Militia them in the middle of their turn? Priceless.
Interactive/Engaging - Now you're spending other people's turns thinking about which card you'll play if you get the chance, that's more engaging than Council Room
Other comments - I'm not worried about people playing FV as their free card from FV -- it doesn't benefit them much, and it's just some nesting. We've got King's Court - King's Court or other things that can lead to messier nesting than this, I'd say. I also love the simplicity and cleanness of the text

Neighborhood Garden / Adjacent Neighbor • Randomizer
This pile starts with as many copies of each card as players, but minimum three and maximum five. All copies of Neighborhood Garden are on top.

Neighborhood Garden • $3 • Treasure
Trash a Hand card. If it is ... a Victory, +$2; a Treasure, +$1.
Each other player may trash a copy of the card you trashed from their Hand.

Adjacent Neighbor • $5 • Action
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
Choose one: +1 Action; or discard a card for +$1.
Each other player may reveal a Victory costing up to $6; otherwise +$2.
Neighborhood Garden & Adjacent Neighbor by BryGuy
Creative - Bishop's other player interaction but only on specific cards, and they MIGHT even want to hold onto an Estate until they get a Duchy just to stop your Neighbor (Tournament style). Nice spins!
Balanced - NG offers a benefit to others as a balance, and AN is easily blockable which justifies it as well.
Fun - You bet. With both, the other players have a chance to surprise the person that played it. There's tension
Interactive/Engaging - Yeah, you're looking at your hand to see what you might trash and what you might reveal to block
Other comments - Idk about the card quantity thing though; you'd have to include that as a "Setup:" bottom text right? and I don't feel like it's worth it. A 6-card pile for 2-player? If you're just wanting to get to the bottom cards quicker, there's probably cleaner/better ways to achieve it

Stagecoach
$5 - Action
+1 Card and +1 Action.
You may discard a Treasure for +2 Cards. Each other player may discard a Gold for +2 Cards.
Stagecoach by JW
Creative - It's a UNIQUE non-Attack interaction, sick
Balanced - I think "slightly better Stables but it offers an opportunity to others" is balanced, yeah
Fun - Stables is cool. Discarding a Gold for +2 Cards is an interesting gamble
Interactive/Engaging - I mean you either have the deck composition where the trade has a chance to be valuable, or you don't; you know?
Other comments - I do like the concept, I'd just make the other player benefit a LITTLE kinder, haha. I'd wanna test how low-cost of a Treasure we could let them discard for 2 cards and feel OK about it. $5? $4?

King Midas by kru5h
Creative - Dang that's unique alright; neutralizing all Attacks!
Balanced - Turning a Copper into a Gold, but next turn and costing you its play; I think that's fair
Fun - It'd be interesting to see how this affects a game. If there's a cheap Attack, you might actually buy it in hopes of it getting Midas'ed, and if it's a pricey Attack you might be scared to go for it.
Interactive/Engaging - It doesn't make a big difference on how you watch others play, but it does affect your turn a lot if you're dependent on your Attack cards. It's a cool card and cool interaction though
Other comments - Not interactive at all if there's no Attacks in the set. In terms of this specific contest it's not a finalist, but just as a card this is actually one of my favorite submissions. Idk if that makes sense

Reform
$4 - Event
Move a Trait to a different Kingdom pile. All players including you may reveal from their hand any number of cards from that pile to get +1 Coffers per each.
-
Setup: add an extra Trait to the kingdom.
Reform by grep
Creative - Trait MOVING?!? Dang that's special :D
Balanced - You'd have to hold back on playing the card(s) to get Coffers for them, so the Coffers are for the other players more often than not. The Trait-moving is after you played your Treasures, so except for "return to your Action phase" effects you can't take advantage of the Trait change for yourself right away. Well planned
Fun - Ah think of all the games where you were like "if only this Trait was on THAT card instead"! Super fun and game-changing, haha. Can't depend on your cards keeping the Traits they had originally lol
Interactive/Engaging - Affects everyone in a different way than most cards do. But depending on the Trait, this could be really important. And a chance at free Coffers is absolutely engaging
Other comments - Alright, you got me, this is really good even though I prefer Kingdom cards hahaha. Adding an extra Trait is fun too. The only one I see that wouldn't affect anything when moved is Inherited

Horse Trainer by fika monster
Creative - Swapping Ways?? Cool! And has that "pick one of these random things" like Druid, making it a different card across games
Balanced - Uhh there's been PLENTY of discussion on that topic so I fear to comment lol :P
Fun - Oh yeah. Not only are you choosing what effect you want for the Horse, but for the GAME until another HT is played.
Interactive/Engaging - Might depend on what Ways are dealt, but I think so! You might have planned your turn assuming a certain Way would be available, and now you've gotta switch it up.
Other comments - Really cool use of Ways

King's Council
Action/Duration - $5
You may play a non-Duration, non-Command Action from your hand three times. If it's still in play, each player (including you) plays it at the start of their next turn, leaving it in play.
King's Council by NoMoreFun
Creative - Yup
Balanced - You get a King's Court+ (it's Duration so less cycling but you know what I mean) for $5! BUT everybody else gets a free taste of each play. I guess you can compare to Mastermind and the price probably makes sense
Fun - It's fun for the person playing it, and for the other players too
Interactive/Engaging - Absolutely, you're wondering which card they'll play it on and be able to plan your next turn around it
Other comments - Haha, nicely named too

Antique Dealer & Cursed Doll by Freddy10
Creative - An Artifact you DON'T want is funny
Balanced - Probably balanced; discounted Lab but with a liability
Fun - Haha this is "fun" in the sense that it's wild
Interactive/Engaging - This would feel more personal than just playing an Attack lol, even though you're just wanting to play your Lab. hahaha
Other comments - The simplicity is cool too

Turnip Parade by MochaMoko
Creative - You get all the tokens, and everybody gets a token they want; nice
Balanced - Man I have such a hard time evaluating one-shots. You get half of what you paid back, PLUS some VP and Villagers! It does cost $4 and an action though, probably fine?
Fun - Getting to pick the token you need, out of turn, is cool. Getting a flood of tokens on play is always cool
Interactive/Engaging - Getting a Villager when you need it most can make a big difference
Other comments - "Turnip Parade" lol, fun stuff

Royal Feast by silverspawn
Creative - Its own card for sure. How'd it feel putting +5 Cards on there? hahaha
Balanced - Really strong but also pricey and offering a strong option to others (minimum of Province, Gold, and RF available to discard for 3 Cards)
Fun - Crazy numbers and power all around. Fun like King's Court is fun
Interactive/Engaging - See, and if you played RF and I had one in hand, it might well be worth it to discard it so I don't help others; I like that
Other comments - Probably gonna be a quick game overall haha. Hm pretty rough if they don't have an expensive card though, you just straight up get +5 Cards and they get nothing -- very possible if you spike early and grab this, and still possible throughout.

Grand Smithy by RovingBear
Creative - Free Guide for everyone, nice
Balanced - I mean it's strong for you, but it does have benefits for others, right...? haha
Fun - Definitely fun to play this card down, and definitely fun when you get to Guide away your garbage hand for a good one.
Interactive/Engaging - It is! This bonus for others is huge when it matters. It would be annoying when someone plays three of these and you already have a good hand...but that's life
Other comments - Grand indeed

Royal Advisor by anordinaryman
Creative - Yup
Balanced - Probably, mostly
Fun - Free play at the start of everyone's turn, cool. And lots of freedom for the player
Interactive/Engaging - Hard not to care when you get a free effect at your turn start
Other comments - It's been a wild ride. I liked the first version a lot too

Demonstration
Action
$5
Play an Action card from your hand twice. Each player (including you) may reveal a card from their hand (everyone reveals at the same time). Every person who revealed the highest-costing card in $ trashes it and gains a copy of the card you played.
Demonstration by Melon
Creative - Bidding and bluffing, who will get the card!
Balanced - I guess even if you're helping someone gain a card, you still trashed a card from their hand for their next turn, so that part's in your favor; or you got another copy like you wanted and so that's good? Definitely not OP from what I can see.
Fun - Yeah, like a lighthearted Mountain Pass or something idk
Interactive/Engaging - Sure, there's some interesting decisions to be made by everyone
Other comments - Good fixes to original

Recycle Atelier by grrgrrgrr
Creative - Yeah! Only Bishop interaction if you gained a $5 with your Workshop, otherwise just a Workshop (which is cool)
Balanced - I mean $5s can be crucial, but I guess trashing can be too.
Fun - Free trashing is fun, and so are free $5s
Interactive/Engaging - It's a terminal not-engine-piece, so you're rarely gonna get spammed with it anyways. When they play it there'll be a little moment where the other players will be hoping you choose something cheap, or a $5, depending on their/your situation.
Other comments - Clean

Architect
$5 Action
Gain a card to your hand costing up to $4. Reveal a card from your hand. The player to your left may reveal a more expensive card from their hand. If they don’t, +1 Action.
Architect by AJL828
Creative - Chariot Race without the chance factor
Balanced - Probably so yeah
Fun - It's definitely fun if you don't like the randomness in Chariot Race.
Interactive/Engaging - Only involves player to the left. But if they're able to, they get the satisfaction of blocking you a bit.
Other comments - I like CR but there would be satisfaction in playing Architect when you have the most expensive card in hand, so you're guaranteed the +Action

Troubadour
$2 Action
+3 Cards
+1 Actions
Return this to its pile.
Each other player gains a Troubadour.
Troubadour by stars
Creative - Spreading a card to everyone's decks this quick is a feat
Balanced - I mean only the first person buys it, cuz this pile will be empty
Fun - After the pile is empty, you're just passing it to the player to your left on-play. Which is interesting in itself I suppose
Interactive/Engaging - Not as engaging once they're gone
Other comments - Maybe make it so everyone else gains a Horse instead when you return it, or something; that'd probably fix it? I love the concept

Winner: Friendly Village by Tiago
Runners Up: Horse Trainer by fika monster, and Reform by grep

Thanks everybody who participated, for your great ideas!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 12:03:29 am by czzzz »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2024, 10:27:29 am »

Ay honorable mention!!
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Melon

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2024, 10:45:52 am »

ggs

also funny reform interaction:
it says "kingdom pile" not "non-Victory kingdom pile" so you could move fawning to provinces and win the game instantly

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2024, 11:26:34 am »
+1

ggs

also funny reform interaction:
it says "kingdom pile" not "non-Victory kingdom pile" so you could move fawning to provinces and win the game instantly

Not quite, base cards like Provinces aren't kingdom cards.  ;)

Melon

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2024, 11:48:21 am »

dangit
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.