Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #213: GREEN  (Read 2588 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #213: GREEN
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2024, 10:11:13 am »
+1

Monkstead -- Action/Victory -- 5$

Trash a card from your hand.
-
Worth 7VP if you have exactly 7 Victory cards in your deck (otherwise worth 0VP).
I've been thinking about this, and I like the concept, but I wonder if it's actually interesting to play. What even are the use cases for this?

The big one is megaturns. Your opponent has a 6-Province lead, and this gives go the chance to grab lots of VP for the win. Well that's fine, but it's not really using anything special about the design, it's just a way to convert your deck power into VP. So here it's useful, but not interesting.

And otherwise? As your main VP source, this only works if you can end the game somehow. The thing is: If you can end the game, so can your opponent. And you're boxing yourself in quite significantly with Monksteads. I'm not sure that Monkstead as a win condition works unless you can get them in like 1-2 turns, and that's already basically the megaturn scenario.

The final use case is late-game pressure. You can just go for one of these over Duchy or even Province for the extra VP, but it will bite you if the Duchy dancing goes on for longer. This is actually some nice nuance and interesting decision making. So the card is not terrible, I just wish it had some more interesting use cases.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2024, 12:11:29 pm »
+1

... As your main VP source, this only works if you can end the game somehow. The thing is: If you can end the game, so can your opponent. And you're boxing yourself in quite significantly with Monksteads. I'm not sure that Monkstead as a win condition works unless you can get them in like 1-2 turns, and that's already basically the megaturn scenario.

In a two-player game, if one player gets 7 Monksteads, they can use one Monkstead to trash another one, and then gain the last Monkstead to empty its pile (while their opponent won't have that option unless they can surmount the 49 VP from the 7 Monksteads). But I share your general concern that the most common scenario is that Monkstead will be too slow to be worth gaining.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2024, 01:54:05 pm »
+1

GGs! Maybe I'll get the chance to judge again eventually, who knows.

Only complaint is that the theme feels a bit off to me, i dont see how a plain would gain you other cards.

Thought was that it's a lot easier to build things if the land is available. American expansionism and all. Probably could've come up with a better theme, but I don't make cards too often for the theme anyway.
they/them

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2024, 02:00:52 pm »
+2

Only complaint is that the theme feels a bit off to me, i dont see how a plain would gain you other cards.

Thought was that it's a lot easier to build things if the land is available. American expansionism and all. Probably could've come up with a better theme, but I don't make cards too often for the theme anyway.

the finalists were all pretty close to each other.
My bias for shepherd ended up making estuary the winner, but all of them were worthy
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2024, 04:09:10 pm »
+1

I kinda like the name "Hill"
You find a nice hill foundation, and build something on it!

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +538
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2024, 05:59:20 pm »
+4

Thank you for the judging. I’m very sorry for your loss and wishing you comfort and ease whenever possible in the coming days.

I’ll have a new contest in in the next few days.

Also, I reallllly liked monkstead.

grumpo

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2024, 09:56:36 am »
+4

Thank you for the gift of such a thorough judgment at a difficult time. Condolences for your loss, thank you again for the feedback and for pouring into us and this hobby.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2024, 11:34:49 am »
+4

Thank you for the gift of such a thorough judgment at a difficult time. Condolences for your loss, thank you again for the feedback and for pouring into us and this hobby.

Thank you

It was a bit healing to judge and be thorough. It took a lot of energy but it was nice

And thank you. Im happy that people like my judging :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.