Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #212: Three's Company  (Read 2348 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #212: Three's Company
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2024, 04:42:26 am »

Vase Merchant (Action, $3)
+$2
If you have unused Actions, (not Action cards), +1 Card.
-
In games using this, Silvers are Action cards producing +1 Card, +2 Actions instead of $.

I wonder if making silver be "also action cards producing +1 Card, +1 Villager instead of $" would make this card more interesting

because currently, you get just such infinite number of villages with this card. Its a bit much.
Maybe the card should remove the "in games using this" and have the silver modification part happen when you play it.
Maybe have the card say "play any number of differently named treasures from your hand, +1 Money for each differently named one" instead of its usual effect.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +493
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2024, 04:46:58 am »

WDC #212: Three's Company

Commentary & Results

Good judging. it was a fun challenge
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2024, 05:23:35 am »
+4

Vase Merchant (Action, $3)
+$2
If you have unused Actions, (not Action cards), +1 Card.
-
In games using this, Silvers are Action cards producing +1 Card, +2 Actions instead of $.

I wonder if making silver be "also action cards producing +1 Card, +1 Villager instead of $" would make this card more interesting

because currently, you get just such infinite number of villages with this card. Its a bit much.
Maybe the card should remove the "in games using this" and have the silver modification part happen when you play it.
Maybe have the card say "play any number of differently named treasures from your hand, +1 Money for each differently named one" instead of its usual effect.

I don't see a big problem with having unlimited Villages available. It's a nice change once in a while, similar to random 2P games with two Village piles, and less game-changing than Champion.

Removing actual Silvers from the supply could also change the opening substantially, in an interesting way: Opening double VM instead of double Silver risks terminal collision, and similarly when you open VM +another terminal card.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +494
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2024, 11:57:07 pm »
+2

Ay, congrats Fika!

It's nice that there's a little bit of unpredictability a la Vassal or Herald, however I think this will usually be significantly stronger than both Vassal and Merchant Camp since you basically get both of their potential benefits without too much downside.

I would like to mention a pretty significant downside: This reveals the top card of the deck instead of discarding it. Thus, if you hit say an Estate, all future Butlers in your hand will fail unless you have a cantrip or something in hand.
they/them

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2024, 03:19:20 am »
+1

It is always a splitter and less swingy than Vassal or Herald. Both get vanilla wise +1 Card and +1 Action  if they hit whereas Butler only gets +1 Card.
I also think that it is unlikely that you got no draw in hand if it misses (sure, a non-drawing village has a harder time to find Smithies). If there is no draw in the Kingdom, you might not want to go for Butler in the first place.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.407 seconds with 21 queries.