Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bury is really powerful?  (Read 218 times)

valb_7k

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Bury is really powerful?
« on: February 28, 2024, 09:06:07 pm »
+2

I just played a few games with the event "Bury" in kingdom and it's been really good, yet I haven't seen any discussion of it.

Since it costs just $1, gives back your Buy, and has no restriction on how many times you use it, if your draw pile is empty you can spend $5 to set up your next hand with discarded cards. This prevents you from re-shuffling, so you can do this again on your next turn.

In both games, the winning strategy was to buy a bunch of high-value stop cards (Treasures and a Gainer), and when your draw pile was low in cards, bury enough treasures/gainer so your draw pile has exactly 5 cards in it. Draw those cards, and then bury 5 more treasures (& a gainer) from your discard, using the remaining $ to buy either a higher value treasure or a victory card (could also use the gainer to gain eg. Gardens)

Like, your draw pile is empty, your hand is Platinum-Platinum-Gold-Gold-Workshop, and you have another copy of each card in your discard pile. Play Workshop to gain a Gardens, play your treasures for $16, spend $5 to bury 2 Platinums, 2 Golds and a Workshop from your discard pile, and spend the remaining $11 to buy a Colony. Repeat next turn.

To set it up, you just need the treasures, which can be bought by using a version of this strategy with lower-value cards (eg. Gold-Gold-Gold-Gold-Silver can buy a Platinum after spending $5 to bury your next hand, Gold-Silver-Silver-Silver-Silver can buy a Gold and bury your next hand), and Greening your deck (or being attacked by Junkers) doesn't hurt you because you never reshuffle.

This does have some weaknesses of course. Handsize attacks reduce how many $ you can produce, thus reducing what you can buy while still burying your next hand (eg. in the first example, discarding to 3 [Plat-Plat-Gold] you could only afford a Province & Burying), and deck-inspector and trashing attacks (Scrying Pool, Bandit...) will cause you to reshuffle (so you can't bury your next hand). And in most Kingdoms the most it can get per turn* is one Colony and one Gardens.

In games without Platinums/Colonies, maximum is 4 Golds & a (Terminal) Silver, giving you one Province** per turn after Burying. There are definitely engines that gain more VP per turn, but Bury Money is fairly quick to start up.

We were playing in person, so it's more obvious when your draw pile is starting to get low, but even digitally one could keep track of how many cards are in their deck.

Even with those caveats, I still think this is a fairly powerful use of this event, at least when there are high-value treasures in the Kingdom.

*With 4 Platinums, a $3 + Buy Treasure (eg. most Loot), and a Fortune, you get $36 and 3 Buys, and so, after burying, can get 2 Colonies and Province (26VP), or can Dominate twice and get an Estate (31VP)
**With 3 Gold, a $3+Buy Loot, and a Fortune, you get $24 and 3 buys, so after Burying can get 2 Provinces and an Estate (13VP) or Dominate and get a Duchy (18VP)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Bury is really powerful?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 09:51:23 pm »

It is decently powerful, but having to buy two copies of everything so that you can play one copy of everything per turn is a little inefficient, especially when it also costs $5 per turn. Mostly it's useful for miscellaneous slightly advantageous things to do whenever the thing you want to buy costs less money than you have.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Olimarrex

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 10:04:45 am »

I imagine bury & leprechaun could be a great combo. If you're lucky enough to open 3/4 you could buy double leprechaun and bury the first to reduce the chances of colliding and ensure at least one doesn't miss the shuffle. And with the two leprechauns you could probably rapidly rack up enough gold to buy a province a turn with 100% consistency, so long as you don't mind the hexes.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 10:11:35 am »

I imagine bury & leprechaun could be a great combo. If you're lucky enough to open 3/4 you could buy double leprechaun and bury the first to reduce the chances of colliding and ensure at least one doesn't miss the shuffle. And with the two leprechauns you could probably rapidly rack up enough gold to buy a province a turn with 100% consistency, so long as you don't mind the hexes.

Have you actually tried this out?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 20 queries.