Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thought Experiment: Biggest opening turn  (Read 466 times)

Jesster

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Thought Experiment: Biggest opening turn
« on: February 14, 2024, 04:37:35 pm »
+1

For the first several sets the best you could possibly hope for would be to buy a nice 5-cost card on your opening turn (Maybe a Lab or a Market or something).

Then Guilds came along and introduced Baker which gave everyone an extra $1 that could be used at any time (including your starting turn).  So now it was possible to buy a first turn Gold.  Neat.

Adventures added Events and included the Borrow event, which when coupled with the coffers from Baker opened up the possibility of a $7 buy on the first turn (in case you really wanted one of those 7-cost Prosperity cards).

Next up, Nocturne added Heirlooms including Pooka/Cursed Gold.  Now an opening 4 copper + Cursed Gold + Coffers + Borrow meant that not only is an opening Province possible, but you could even swing an opening Platinum.  However, the coveted first-turn Colony was still a bit out of reach.

Until Menagerie added the Desperation event.  Desperation, combined with everything else mentioned above makes an $11 Colony buy first turn a possibility if the stars align just right.  No one could expect much more than that for an opening turn, right?

Plunder says, "hold my beer".  How does an Inherited Capital in the opening turn sound? 

However, this introduces a bit of complexity to the equation.  If we are abiding by the standard rule of no more than two unbound landscapes per game, then the addition of Inherited, kicks Borrow out of the loop.  Additionally, the biggest potential single buy in the game is Dominate at $14, but that's another event, so if we're going to go for that, it kicks Desperation out of the running as well, at which point we get:
Inherited Capital (6) + Cursed Gold (3) + Copper x3 (3) + Coffers from Baker (1) = $13.  Just shy of buying Dominate (unless I missed some other mechanic that could give us 1 more coin in the opening turn without using up an event/landmark/project/way/trait slot).

So if we're not buying Dominate, we can put Desperation back in which gives us $15 to spend on an opening turn.  Add Tracker/Pouch to the mix to give us an extra buy and the question becomes, what do we spend that $15 on to get the "Biggest" opening buy? 

If we're just going for the most victory points, we can't do double province, but Colony/Island is probably better anyway for the same VP value plus the ability to get useless cards out of your way.

If we're going for biggest treasure buy, we could go Platinum/Gold for $15.

I'm sure there are a lot more strategically effective opening turns than those, so what would you do given just the right kingdom?  And did I miss some other card that could be inherited instead of Capital for a bigger effect? 

How about Masterpiece and 12 silvers?  That sounds like a great opening turn.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
Re: Thought Experiment: Biggest opening turn
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 05:15:05 pm »

Remove Desperation.
Add Shelters and Way of the Mouse as Farmer's Market.

In a 4 player game, first three players play their Necropolis as Farmers market.
your turn, hand is:
Necropolis, 1 Copper, 1 Pouch, Cursed Gold, Capital
Play Necropolis as Farmers Market for +4
+ 11 from treasures
+1 from Coffers gets you to 16 and Double Province.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 05:20:41 pm »
+3

There are other threads here that show was that you can purchase every card in the supply on turn 1; here's one: https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20233.0.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 05:23:38 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 05:28:03 pm »

Actually, we can get it 17 but only 1 buy...
Add Embassy and Pixie in the Kingdom.

Same as before, but now this has to be your 2nd turn (so no deck)
Other players do the same, but one also buys an Embassy (each other player gains a silver)
At your turn:
Necropolis, 1 Overgrown Estate, 1 Goat, Cursed Gold, Capital

Play Necropolis as Farmers Market for the +4
Then first play Goat and trash Overgrown Estate for +1 (5)
+1 card, and you draw the gained Silver +2 (7)
Remaining treasures are +9 (16)
and the Coffers for +1 (17)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Tozar

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tozar
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 06:07:31 pm »

Remove Desperation.
Add Shelters and Way of the Mouse as Farmer's Market.

In a 4 player game, first three players play their Necropolis as Farmers market.
your turn, hand is:
Necropolis, 1 Copper, 1 Pouch, Cursed Gold, Capital
Play Necropolis as Farmers Market for +4
+ 11 from treasures
+1 from Coffers gets you to 16 and Double Province.

I think I'm missing something here.  How are we getting Capital in our opening hand?  If we're inheriting it with an Estate, that uses 1 Buy and 7 of our Coins, right?  So now I'm down to only 9 coins, right?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 06:15:50 pm »

Inherited the Trait - changes your starting deck.

And come to think if it, in the first scenario, yoour oppoments could all buy (if they get up to 10 and +1 buy, which they can): embassy, then lost city

So then you would have your starting hand, plus 4 silvers (on your 2nd turn and with shuffle luck), no need any more even to trash, so you have:
Necropolis, 1 Copper, 1 Pouch, Cursed Gold, Capital + the 4 silvers from your draws:
+4
+19 from the treasures and you enough to double Colony.

Of course with Populate shenanigans, all this is moot, since there are ways to buy everything.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 09:21:04 am »

There are other threads here that show was that you can purchase every card in the supply on turn 1; here's one: https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20233.0.

Just to reiterate what was said in this quote... In this thread, you're talking about getting one big buy on your first turn. Whereas the actual biggest first turn buys literally every single card in the whole supply. Like every single kingdom card, every victory card, and all the treasures.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.59 seconds with 20 queries.