Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Fan Card Mechanics Week 82: Pupil

(1/4) > >>

BryGuy:
:)Howdy All,

This week's mechanic is Pupil, a mat that i found on Reddit. This is the best use of a +1 Card token i have found to date. The mat states:
"Pupil: Directly after playing an Action card, you may remove a token from here for +1 Card."
:)Your task is to design a card that would use this mat well.

Here are two of the Author's cards:

:)My main judging criteria is whether I would be excited to see the design in a Kingdom. Important factors:
* balance: is the card useful, but not overpowered (both in general and in a variety of Kingdoms)
* playability: the card is fun to play and works with more than one type of deck
* simplicity: this doesn't always mean fewer words; a card with lots of text that, once you understand it, can be easily and intuitively be played is better than one with four lines of text that is difficult to understand
* topicality: uses this mechanic in an interesting way
:)Since entries seam to be in short supply as of late, I'll run the contest for a minimum of a seven days, but long enough to garner four entries. Then i'll provide a deadline notice.
:)Have fun! I look forward to seeing your entries.
:)So i was a little surprised i won the last contest. I was also not prepared, but this offered the opportunity to review other mechanics and now i have some ideas ready for next time. If you need some ideas, there are plenty here:
--- Quote from: emtzalex on September 13, 2021, 11:20:27 pm ---
--- End quote ---

segura:

emtzalex:
The Pupil mat says:

--- Quote from: BryGuy on January 11, 2024, 11:32:25 pm ---"Pupil: Directly after playing an Action card, you may remove a token from here for +1 Card."

--- End quote ---

By contrast, the Coffers mat say "you may remove tokens from this for +$1 each" and the Villagers mat says "you may remove tokens from this for +1 Action each" (emphasis added).

Am I correct in presuming that this means that you can only spend 1 Pupil for each play of an Action card?

BryGuy:

--- Quote from: emtzalex on January 15, 2024, 10:54:22 am ---The Pupil mat says:

--- Quote from: BryGuy on January 11, 2024, 11:32:25 pm ---"Pupil: Directly after playing an Action card, you may remove a token from here for +1 Card."

--- End quote ---

By contrast, the Coffers mat say "you may remove tokens from this for +$1 each" and the Villagers mat says "you may remove tokens from this for +1 Action each" (emphasis added).

Am I correct in presuming that this means that you can only spend 1 Pupil for each play of an Action card?

--- End quote ---
Yes. Up to one extra card per Action card played.

Zoyarox:

--- Quote ---Governess
$5 Action
Choose one:
Play an Action card from your hand twice; or +1 Action and +2 Pupils.

--- End quote ---

Only one Pupil per play? Well, if you have 2 plays you can spend 2 Pupils (almost) at the same time!
And if you just need more Pupils for later plays, you can get them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version