Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

Cache use?

(1/7) > >>

philosophyguy:
What kind of decks benefit from Cache? Obviously decks that can handle the extra Coppers (e.g., Apothecary, Trader, Watchtower) are going to do just fine, and decks where Copper is a benefit (e.g., Gardens, Dukes) are no-brainers to pick up Cache. In the absence of those cards, though, what makes Cache viable? Is strong deck cycling/sifting like Warehouse enough? Stables? Other scenarios?

DStu:
absence of everything is enough.

BM-Cache beats BM

edit: That's also true for BM-Smithy, and I would guess for most drawers.

Papa Luigi:
I think you pretty much covered it. It fills a role similar to Contraband, a cheaper $3 treasure that only costs $5 to buy, balanced by some disadvantage. Of course it's much easier to get $5 than it is to get $6 so the cost savings is a major point in its favor.

I suppose it could also find a niche if your opponent is buying/playing Noble Brigand a lot, since Cache is immune to it (unlike Gold). Unfortunately, the wording of the card makes you gain the coppers whenever you GAIN it, not just when you buy it, so no skirting around it using Remodel or something.

DStu - That's interesting... I'd think that without a way to trash the extra coppers, it would be worse than buying silver since you're getting an average of $1.67 per card ($5 / 3 cards). Same argument I've heard for Hoard not being very good (1 Gold + 1 useless green card = $1.50 per card). But I suppose it also increases variance.

theory:
I like it in tough games, like Sea Hag games, where you can't really get to $6 and the Coppers aren't that bad.  I also like it as an early pickup with Spice Merchant.

DStu:

--- Quote from: Papa Luigi on April 11, 2012, 11:15:07 am ---DStu - That's interesting... I'd think that without a way to trash the extra coppers, it would be worse than buying silver since you're getting an average of $1.67 per card ($5 / 3 cards). Same argument I've heard for Hoard not being very good (1 Gold + 1 useless green card = $1.50 per card). But I suppose it also increases variance.

--- End quote ---

I don't want to look it up, but we had this discusson in some topic some months ago. Think it was about variance and Cache was an heavy example.
The point is, 1.67 is (a little) more than you need on average you need for a Province. And even more than the average/card you usually get to in optimized BigMoney, which is about $7/hand or $1.4 per card.
Silver gets you 1 card with average $2, but Cache gives you 3 cards with average $1.66. Both are about the average, but you add more cards with Cache. You add $5 to your deck in total with Cache, but only $2 with Silver.

Additionally, there is variance, which usually is a good thing, especially if your average money is below $1.6. Cache gives you a $3, and with a little bit of the rest of the hand adds to a Province, if not at least a Gold. Silver gives you a $2, from there it's harder to get up to $8, even to $6.

AND Copper is not that bad of a card for BigMoney, at some point you want to green, the more cards you have the less the green influences your deck.

And finally, Cache it not magic, it's like 55:45 for BM-Margrave (randomly opened in the background at the moment), and maybe 60:40 for others (don't know), so it's not a killer, but it's a slight improvement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version