Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Fan Card Mechanics Week 79: We are our memories

(1/3) > >>

NoMoreFun:
Now suggesting a fan mechanic that is also a "variant" (in the Variants and Fan Cards forum). If something has the Memory type, it impacts the game after the game you're playing.

Rulebook:

* At the end of the game, after scoring, set aside cards with a Memory type onto your Memory mat. During your next game, these remain there for tracking and will have some sort of effect.

* Once a Memory no longer can have any effect, if that card isn't in the Kingdom, return it to the box.
* If you are playing games with "Memory" cards in them, to win over-all, you must be the first player to win 2 games (e.g. "Best of 3" between 2 players).
* Do not include the same Memory card in the Kingdom in consecutive games.
* If each player playing has won precisely one game, then do not include any Memory cards in the final Kingdom (e.g. the 3rd game in a best of 3 between 2 players).
* In general, Memory Cards are like Victory cards and you get the Memory effect for having them in your deck. However you can put "If this was in play at the game's end" on Duration/Memory cards if you want them to be activated by playing a card.
* Memory/Reserve cards can be "Called" from Memory as if they were on the Tavern Mat (and the Tavern Mat does not need to be referenced at all) and can enter play. They are then returned to the box at the end of the last turn where they have an effect.
* Memory cards may impact your score at the end of the next game, but don't enter your deck for the purposes of Gardens etc. (this is so you can write rules around a card being "in your deck" at the end of the game, and simplify the setting aside process).
Other notes:
I thought the mechanic would be a good idea given that you can find yourself in a largely unwinnable position in Dominion. With "memories" you may be able to set up the next game in your favour as a consolation. But this can lead to games becoming slogs if not careful as players pursue next game advantage instead of leading the current game a conclusion state. As such I think cards with both a "this game" and "next game" effect will be better than cards that exclusively have a "next game" effect, but I'm not ruling out the latter.

This mechanic will lend itself to complexity, and I was thinking of setting a limit for how many Memory cards can be in the kingdom, but I'm not sure what a good limit would be. But try to think about the complexity of tracking as you design the card. As such I am imagining the mechanic applying exclusively to "cards" (not Landscapes). I'm open to Landscapes but you may need to explain the tracking in your submission.

Examples

Mock ups are done with a Primary Colour of 0,0.4,0 (thanks grrgrrgrr).

Will(ow|iam):
Attic
$4 Action - Memory
+1 Action
Put a non-victory card from your hand onto your memory mat.
--
At the start of each of your turns next game, put a card from your memory mat into your hand.

grrgrrgrr:

--- Quote ---Duchy Dance Academy (Victory/Memory, $8)
3%
-
At the start of next game, +1 Coffers

--- End quote ---

(I used the color code (0,0.4,0) for this)

grrgrrgrr:

--- Quote from: Will(ow|iam) on December 09, 2023, 08:18:25 pm ---Attic
$4 Action - Memory
+1 Action
--
At the start of each of your turns next game, put a card from your memory mat into your hand.

--- End quote ---
Very cool submission, but I think you should rewrite the bottom part to:

--- Quote ---At the start of each of your turns next game, put a non-Memory card from your memory mat into your hand.

--- End quote ---
That way, you cannot put the Attics you installed at the end of the game into your hand, and I don't think we should be able to transfer Memory cards between games anyway.

Will(ow|iam):

--- Quote from: grrgrrgrr on December 10, 2023, 01:02:13 pm ---
--- Quote from: Will(ow|iam) on December 09, 2023, 08:18:25 pm ---Attic
$4 Action - Memory
+1 Action
--

--- End quote ---
Very cool submission, but I think you should rewrite the bottom part to:

--- Quote ---At the start of each of your turns next game, put a non-Memory card from your memory mat into your hand.

--- End quote ---
That way, you cannot put the Attics you installed at the end of the game into your hand, and I don't think we should be able to transfer Memory cards between games anyway.

--- End quote ---
Good idea! Consider this my new submission:

Attic
$4 Action - Memory
+1 Action
--
At the start of each of your turns next game, put a non-memory card from your memory mat into your hand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version