Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wonders (new landscape type)  (Read 407 times)

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
Wonders (new landscape type)
« on: November 05, 2023, 10:28:41 am »
+2

Another landscape idea that I'm trying to suss out. Inspired by Through the Ages as well as this previous post by Tables.

WONDERS are super-projects that must be built in stages. Each wonder has multiple stage costs listed, and these must be bought in order. Each stage purchase requires a Buy, and multiple stages can be bought in the same turn using multiple Buys or split across turns. The project effect is activated only once the last stage is built. You can use the project cube to track which stage you're on. Like projects, multiple people can build the same wonder.

Below are a few draft examples, though still untested and the prices may be way off. Mainly curious as to what people think about the general idea. Is it intrinsically flawed, or can it be made to work?

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
Re: Wonders (new landscape type)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 12:30:32 pm »

Fun idea. I wonder if it would be more interesting if you could only buy one stage per turn.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 12:37:33 pm »

Another landscape idea that I'm trying to suss out. Inspired by Through the Ages as well as this previous post by Tables.

WONDERS are super-projects that must be built in stages. Each wonder has multiple stage costs listed, and these must be bought in order. Each stage purchase requires a Buy, and multiple stages can be bought in the same turn using multiple Buys or split across turns. The project effect is activated only once the last stage is built. You can use the project cube to track which stage you're on. Like projects, multiple people can build the same wonder.

Below are a few draft examples, though still untested and the prices may be way off. Mainly curious as to what people think about the general idea. Is it intrinsically flawed, or can it be made to work?

Pentagon seems too cheap for its strength or to strong for its price

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 04:30:41 pm »

United Nations seems too expensive relative to Citadel.

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 04:53:15 am »

Do you think so? It feels way stronger than Citadel to me. Not only does it not depend on what it's in your hand at the start of turn, it lets you play expensive cards you didn't buy: a $5 or even a $7 like King's Court. And you can change what you play with it depending on your hand and as the game progresses.

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 04:55:13 am »

Pentagon seems too cheap for its strength or to strong for its price

You may be right, though it does still cost you a missed Province and two more engine buys. Perhaps I'll playtest it at $4 $6 $8 first and see how it goes.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 11:18:57 am »

Do you think so? It feels way stronger than Citadel to me. Not only does it not depend on what it's in your hand at the start of turn, it lets you play expensive cards you didn't buy: a $5 or even a $7 like King's Court. And you can change what you play with it depending on your hand and as the game progresses.
Sure, it is aifnificantly stronger. But strong enough to forsake the purchase of two Provinces? I doubt it. Even with KC, you would oftem rather get an early KC than wait.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.