Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Renaissance: Scholar with Flag  (Read 379 times)

DaffyDrone

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Renaissance: Scholar with Flag
« on: August 29, 2023, 12:27:46 pm »

Hey fellow dominion players,

We were playing Dominion Renaissance with 2 and my opponent got in the following situation:
1) Draw 6 cards from the stack (5  + 1 because of scholar)
2) Play Acting Troupe to get more actions
3) Play Flag Bearer to gain +2 🪙
4 ) Play Scholar to discard all cards and ...
     in my opponent's opinion 8 cards (7 + 1 because of flag)
     in my opinion 7 cards

What's the correct number of cards to draw?

Thank you for sharing your insight.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance: Scholar with Flag
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 12:50:10 pm »

You were right. Flag only triggers when you draw for the next turn in Clean-up.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 01:08:20 pm »

From the way you word this, it sounds like you might be drawing your new hand at the start of your turn. You should be drawing at the end of your previous turn instead. This matters a lot for certain cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DaffyDrone

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 01:39:19 pm »

@GendoIkari
Correct, that's also how we play it, but I wanted to clearly point out that my opponent already had the flag before she started her turn.

@segura
The confusion is because of the Dutch wording in the rules book. It's saying the following for 'Flag', which is 'Vaandel' in the Dutch version:
"als je de Vaandeldrager pakt of vernietigt, neem je het Vaandel. Het Vaandel zorgt ervoor dat je bij het trekken van een nieuwe hand in de opschoonfase 1 extra kaart mag trekken. Dat geldt ook als je hand om een of andere reden uit minder dan 5 kaarten bestaat."
In Google translate it is:
"if you take or destroy the Banner Bearer, you take the Banner. The Banner allows you to draw 1 extra card when drawing a new hand in the clean-up phase. This also applies if for some reason your hand consists of less than 5 cards."
In the English version of Renaissance it is much more obvious:
"The Flag causes you to draw an extra card when drawing your hand in Clean-up. This is true even if your hand would normally be some amount other than 5 cards - for example if you played Outpost (from Seaside), instead of drawing 3 cards for your Outpost turn, you would draw 4."

So my opponent states that it not only activates when you're in the clean-up phase, but that it also applies when you have less than 5 cards (before you activated scholar).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 02:03:06 pm »

@GendoIkari
Correct, that's also how we play it, but I wanted to clearly point out that my opponent already had the flag before she started her turn.

@segura
The confusion is because of the Dutch wording in the rules book. It's saying the following for 'Flag', which is 'Vaandel' in the Dutch version:
"als je de Vaandeldrager pakt of vernietigt, neem je het Vaandel. Het Vaandel zorgt ervoor dat je bij het trekken van een nieuwe hand in de opschoonfase 1 extra kaart mag trekken. Dat geldt ook als je hand om een of andere reden uit minder dan 5 kaarten bestaat."
In Google translate it is:
"if you take or destroy the Banner Bearer, you take the Banner. The Banner allows you to draw 1 extra card when drawing a new hand in the clean-up phase. This also applies if for some reason your hand consists of less than 5 cards."
In the English version of Renaissance it is much more obvious:
"The Flag causes you to draw an extra card when drawing your hand in Clean-up. This is true even if your hand would normally be some amount other than 5 cards - for example if you played Outpost (from Seaside), instead of drawing 3 cards for your Outpost turn, you would draw 4."

So my opponent states that it not only activates when you're in the clean-up phase, but that it also applies when you have less than 5 cards (before you activated scholar).

The only time you draw your hand is during the clean-up phase. Drawing cards from Scholar is not drawing your hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.312 seconds with 21 queries.