Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pretty proud...but pretty lucky  (Read 1561 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Pretty proud...but pretty lucky
« on: April 13, 2012, 03:33:24 am »
+2

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120412-232649-71f38a28.html

This win against Robz888 was huge for me. As a level 26 player, it was my first win against anyone level 35+ and one of my first games against anyone over level 40. It was an honor to even play him so I was really stunned to beat him. But, I gotta say looking at the logs that I think I got fairly lucky. Aside from a couple shenanigans with remake and feast in the middle, we pursue a near identical strategy, which is really just a derivative of BM (which is probably the only reason I had a shot in this game). But my first reshuffle looks a lot nicer than his. I get my remake with two estates but he hits two coppers. As a result, at the end of turn five, my deck had an extra silver and a venture (I guess at the "cost" of two more coppers).

So I'd like to ask: does it look pretty much like luck to you guys too? Our strategies weren't complex, so the only place I can say that I might have done anything different than he did was the province on turn seven with a weaker deck.

Even if a bit of luck did carry the day for me, I'm extremely proud of this win!  ;D
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty proud...but pretty lucky
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 04:02:03 am »
+1

Cheers! It took me a long time to climb the leaderboard, and it's nice to be held in such esteem :)

I think the discrepancy in luck on our Turns 3 and 4 (where you trash 2 Estates into Silvers and I just trash 2 Coppers) did amount to a death sentence for me, because I knew Ventures and Courtyards were going to make this a very quick affair. However, those turns hurt me so badly that I tried to compensate in ways that may have ultimately been bad strategy. For instance, on Turn 10, I do a fairly weird thing. I use Remake to trash a Feast into a Venture, a Silver into a Feast, and buy a Venture. I could have done a number of different things: gained a Duchy and bought a Gold, gained a Venture and bought a Gold, 2 Ventures, 2 Duchies, etc. I think my attempt to grab any Ventures at all was probably coming too late to work. Mind you, my deck would have have been in much worse shape without those Ventures, but the hour was late.

Anyway, looks like you played perfectly. Hope to play you again!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »

Maybe the simulators can back me up on this, but I would think straight courtyard/BM with ventures would be better than remake/CY/BM.

That said, remake has a huge luck factor in the first few turns with how many estates you draw it with. 2 vs. 0 is a huge early game swing.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:29:13 pm »

Maybe the simulators can back me up on this, but I would think straight courtyard/BM with ventures would be better than remake/CY/BM.

That said, remake has a huge luck factor in the first few turns with how many estates you draw it with. 2 vs. 0 is a huge early game swing.

I would believe that, but my thinking was that Ventures would be stronger with some Copper trashing, and Remake can eliminate Coppers with decent speed, depending on draw. I wouldn't bother trashing, obviously, in a regular BM/Courtyard situation, but it seemed to me Venture would benefit enough from the trashing that Remake was worth it.

That was the thought, but looking at it now, that may very well be wrong. You know, I think Venture is a card that trips me up in fast games. There isn't a lot of time to grab 3 Ventures in a 14 Turn Big Money battle. Perhaps it would have been better to ignore them and just grab one if I happened to have $5, instead of specifically going after them with Feast.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »

trashing with remake into a venture strategy could be nice, but the presence of thief would make me wary of doing any trashing.  a courtyard/BM player could pick one up turn 3/4 and still play it 3-4 times.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »

I was thinking the same thing-clear out the coppers to make venture awesome. Although my late feast purchase was in hopes of a duchy, not another venture. But yeah, maybe courtyard-BM wins. I like venture a lot so I think it can be a trap card for me sometimes.

I was also a liiittle concerned about thief, but I figured that it would be too slow and that a high-ranked player was likely to avoid it. I gotta say I was relieved when it looked like he was going for a similar strategy as me, though.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »

Even without trashing, venture can help you do nice things with CY. If you need an extra coin, put a victory card back and cycle past it. If you have exactly enough, put a treasure back and pick it back up. The one drawback is if you want to put another CY back and play the venture. Then you have to choose.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.