Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

This card art is wrong!

(1/2) > >>

Asklepios:
Something occurred to me recently: the card art for some cards doesn't match what the card does/represents.

I might be looking at the art the wrong way of course, or thinking the card represents something it doesn't but...

Salvager:
The art shows someone diving underwater and salvaging stuff, presumably from a wreck.
The card effect, and therefore I presume the thematic intention of the card, is salvaging back money from something you no longer want. For example, recouping the cost of a village by demolishing it and selling off all the timber, the dressed stone, the people, etc. etc.

Philosopher's Stone:
Shows a bottle of something.
The card effect generates a mass of money, which gets more powerful as the game goes on. I presume this represents, y'know a philosopher's stone, which can turn base metals into gold but which takes a long time to get right.

Stash:
Shows a small bag of coins. Like a stash that has been stolen.
The card effect suggests money that you've stashed away for later. So maybe it ought to be someone digging up a stash of money, or a treasury-like picture?

Of course, this is all fairly minor stuff. Nothing as bad as some of the "wrong arts" that you see in some CCGs. A classic example I recall is in the CCG Vampire: The Eternal Struggle where there's a card called "torn signpost" that represents a strong vampire tearing up a signpost and using it as a weapon, and where the card art depicts a road sign with a slight tear in it...

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree? Any other cards you can think of where the art doesn't seem to match the effect?

Donald X.:
At the risk of offending any artists reading this, I will give you a list! It's all in good fun, artists.

Woodcutter: Not what this activity looks like, also it shows two woodcutters.

Council Room: The table is in perspective but the chairs aren't; the chairs that are farther back must be larger.

Great Hall: It's the place in a castle where they have feasts and things. I dunno, maybe you could fit some tables in here, but the art does not suggest the concept. To be fair we didn't start having explanations for the artists until Seaside.

Embargo: This scene does not look real to me. You wouldn't just hang out in boats in case someone tries to sail in, right? You let them dock and then rummage through their stuff.

Philosopher's Stone: The padlock is anachronistic (they had padlocks, but not that style). The philosopher's stone is a substance, which some guessed would be a red powder, so the artwork isn't otherwise off.

Forge: It looks like she's popping gems into a sword's hilt? They are rocks, they do not pop into anything. Usually they were soldered on.

Menagerie: I do not see how those fences keep those animals in.

Tournament: The audience is nowhere near the action, unless those bleachers are for some other event.

Hunting Party: There's a guy just standing there with a dog. Rewind this picture a fraction of a second and a deer is phasing through him.

Oasis: An oasis cannot have a waterfall (unless it's a trickle). Water comes in from a spring and doesn't flow out. What we have depicted here is a creek.

Envoy: Scroll through the hand.

Stash ended up like that because RGG or HiG wanted SdJ jury member faces in the artwork somehow (they're on the coins).

WanderingWinder:

--- Quote from: Donald X. on April 10, 2012, 06:03:59 am ---Hunting Party: There's a guy just standing there with a dog. Rewind this picture a fraction of a second and a deer is phasing through him.

--- End quote ---

Is it a blue dog? If so does the guy taking it on a walk fe... Sorry, couldn't help myself ;)

Julle:
Not the wrong card art but one of my friend thinks that Moneylender looks like he's crying.

Young Nick:
Can someone explain WW's joke? I don't get it, not at any level. I like jokes, they're fun, but not when they sail a mile over your head. :/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version