Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Question Re: Highwayman and COTR  (Read 401 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
Question Re: Highwayman and COTR
« on: June 07, 2023, 09:13:08 pm »
+1

Was playing a game where my opponent had a Highwayman in play and I called  Coin of the Realm to get nullified as I did even need the actions and wanted to use the lone gold in my hand Why didn't this invoke the highwayman penalty? ???

"Until then, the first Treasure each other player plays each turn does nothing.".  This doesn't mention any "Buy-phase" exclusion, and the COTR is obviously played as per the dictionary.  My gut says that the answer is going to Be that called cards aren't played, But I mean they are... I just played that coin. :o It's not like it was discarded, it literally goes into play.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 09:51:42 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +822
    • View Profile
Re: Question Re: Highwayman and COTR
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 10:47:26 pm »
+4

My gut says that the answer is going to Be that called cards aren't played
I think your gut got it.

But I mean they are... I just played that coin. :o It's not like it was discarded, it literally goes into play.
You played it at one time; that gave you a coin and put it on the tavern mat. Highwayman would have replaced that with doing nothing. But calling a card on the tavern mat is indeed not playing it despite the fact that doing so puts it into play.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Question Re: Highwayman and COTR
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 01:52:14 am »
+2

"Playing a card" has a specifically defined meaning in Dominion, and it's not defined as "any act that causes a card to be put into the in-play area". It's kind of like discarding in that way. Not everything that causes a card to go into the discard pile is "discarding" that card (see Messenger, and how it doesn't trigger Tunnel).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.435 seconds with 20 queries.