Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 66: Berserker's Fury  (Read 1069 times)

czzzz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 66: Berserker's Fury
« on: June 01, 2023, 01:57:06 pm »
+4

This week we'll try out the Fury type.

Fury cards may be played in your Action, Buy, or Night phase. If played in the Action phase they do not cost an Action to play unless the card specifically states to. Instead, Fury cards have their own cost to play them, stated at the beginning of the card ("To play, ...").

Your to-play cost can be whatever you like, these are just to give you some examples.

As Fury cards aren't attached to a particular phase, you won't want to do multi-typing involving a phase (Action, Treasure, or Night type), but feel free to use other types with it (Victory, Duration, Reaction...).

So yeah, your task is to
Design a Fury card
Here's a template for ya.
And you are welcome to include another fan mechanic as well!

Judging criteria:
  • How well does it use the flexibility offered? Is there ever a reason to play it at a different time or in a different phase?
  • How fun? Do I want to play with this card? (Also relatively simple cards are sometimes the most fun, you know?)
  • How cool, creative, unique?
  • How balanced? Could it fit in the average kingdom? (But don't sweat it too much -- just because I feel like it's off by $1 wouldn't change how I feel about the card)

FAQ/Stuff I missed
How do I play a Fury card?
Move it into play from your hand, then perform its to-play cost. You can't play it if you can't do its cost.
ex: If I have a Fury card with the to-play cost of discarding my hand, it shouldn't discard itself. It exits your hand, does the cost, then the rest of its effects.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 12:09:58 pm by czzzz »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 66: Berserker's Fury
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 04:51:46 am »

hehe

fury sounds like furry XD
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 06:33:03 am »
+2

Wildman
Fury - $4
To play this, play an Action card from your hand or discard a card.
+1 Coffers per card you have gained this turn.

This is easier to play than Merchant Guild but there is no snowballing. Also, it can be worse than Candlestick Maker if there is no way to gain more than 1 card per turn which is rare.
The main trade-off is Necro but no or few Coffers (Action), Coffers to spend now (Treasure) or Coffers for later (Night).

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 08:17:04 am »
+1

I think some clarification on how this works is needed. Take for instance Banner's to-play cost:

"To play this, trash a Victory card from your hand."

Does that mean
a) When you trash a Victory card from your hand, you may play this from your hand.
b) At any time during your Action, Buy or Night phase, if this is in your hand, you may trash a Victory card from your hand to play this.

I assume it's (b) since (a) could be achieved by simply having the Reaction type. (but segura's entry seems to assume (a))

But if it's, (b), then what about these scenarios?

(b1) I trash a Victory card from my hand, react with Market Square, play Sheepdog in reaction to the Gold gain. Then I play Banner. There is no way to tell whether the Banner was in my hand before playing Sheepdog.
(b2) I trash a Victory card from my hand (while having Sewers), trash a Trail in reaction, play Trail as Way of the Mole, discarding Banner. Do I still get the on-play effects of Banner? Is Banner moved to the play area?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 08:18:54 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 11:47:58 am »
+1

I think it is pretty clear. When you wann to play an Action, you can only do so if you pay the cost, i.e. spend an Action.
Fury only modifies the cost.
My card mixes cost and benefit, i.e. a Necro effect is obviously good ... but if you have no Action card in hand you cannot play Wildman in your Action phase and have to discard a card in order to play Wildman.

czzzz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 12:03:47 pm »
+1

I assume it's (b) since (a) could be achieved by simply having the Reaction type.
Correct  :)

(b1) I trash a Victory card from my hand, react with Market Square, play Sheepdog in reaction to the Gold gain. Then I play Banner. There is no way to tell whether the Banner was in my hand before playing Sheepdog.
I think you have to put down your Fury card and then do its to-play cost; you just aren't allowed to put it down if you can't do the cost. (Like how you can't play an Action if you can't spend an Action)
Sorry for the confusion.
I'll add an FAQ to the bottom of the original post with this detail, thank you.

(b2) I trash a Victory card from my hand (while having Sewers), trash a Trail in reaction, play Trail as Way of the Mole, discarding Banner. Do I still get the on-play effects of Banner? Is Banner moved to the play area?
And if I understand correctly, that will solve this too? Sorry again, hope this makes sense now.

BryGuy

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 04:56:42 pm »
+1

Gambling Fool • $5 • Fury
To play this, trash your Deck's top card.
If it is a Victory card, you may exchange a hand card for it. Choose one to gain: a card costing up to $1 +$1 per empty Supply pile more than the trashed card; or a Silver.
:) Another gainer.

previous:
If it is a Victory card, you may exchange this for it. Otherwise choose one to gain: a card costing up to $1 +$1 per empty Supply pile more than the trashed card; or a Silver.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 04:54:58 pm by BryGuy »

czzzz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 07:50:01 pm »

I'm hoping to close this contest in a few days but we could definitely use some more submissions. Assuming we get some more, here's a
48 Hour Warning

You're surrounded on all sides by spear-wielding soldiers. The enemy shouts,
"Surrender or die, scum!"

Roll a d20 and add 2
Choose one:

Surrender
You bow your head, dropping your axe. They push you into the dirt and bind you with rope. Your life is secure, but you suffer much over the next year as the war goes on. YOU SURVIVED

Flee
If you rolled 10+: You swing your axe in a circle, knocking away the spearheads. Using this opportunity, you dive between an opening in the ring of soldiers and take off in a desperate run. You're less burdened with armor and they quickly abandon chasing you. Better your dignity hurt than a spear buried in your back, no? YOU SURVIVED
Otherwise: Panicked, you hurl your axe at a soldier's head and start to dive through the legs of another. Your axe glances off his helmet, but the circle of spears leveled at you closes in, impaling you from all sides. YOU DIED

Fight
If you rolled 15+: You bat away the spears in front of you with your axe, then charge. Your momentum topples a soldier; you leap over him and are now free from the ring of soldiers. They chase you into the nearby forest, where you are able to use the shadows to your advantage. You best them one by one, severing arms and necks. Finally, the last one falls to your axe. YOU SURVIVED
Otherwise: You scream, dodging a spear and charging at a soldier, axe held high above your head. As you swing down into his head, you feel the indescribable pain of spears being thrust into your back and side. You went out bravely, at least. YOU DIED

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 07:51:55 pm by czzzz »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 02:15:52 am »
+1

Furious
Ally - Trait

Furious cards are Fury cards and not Actions or Treasures. To play one, spend a Favor.

czzzz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 06:14:33 pm »

Furious
Ally - Trait

Furious cards are Fury cards and not Actions or Treasures. To play one, spend a Favor.
That is a cool idea, to be able to convert existing cards into Fury using a trait. I will say it's gonna be hard to compare a Trait to the Fury-type cards I'm judging; I'd recommend submitting a Fury card for this contest.

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 10:28:31 pm »
+2

Not sure how good/bad/silly this is. You get to bet some of your payload for an extra card, and you can do it as many times as you want, interchanged with any action/treasure plays you want.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:33:13 pm by 4444 »

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 11:14:19 am »
+2

Not sure how good/bad/silly this is. You get to bet some of your payload for an extra card, and you can do it as many times as you want, interchanged with any action/treasure plays you want.

Essentially converting coin into draw, but with no limitations whatsoever. It's like Storyteller on steroids.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 02:22:42 am »
+1

I agree that a card that single-handedly draws your entire deck is overpowered and better than Storyteller, but unlike Storyteller it is no cantrip but only nonterminal.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 11:35:04 am »
+1

I agree that a card that single-handedly draws your entire deck is overpowered and better than Storyteller, but unlike Storyteller it is no cantrip but only nonterminal.

Ironic, considering its name.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

czzzz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 12:33:04 pm »
+1

Guess that's about all we're getting, thanks everyone that submitted!

Wildman by segura
Wildman
Fury - $4
To play this, play an Action card from your hand or discard a card.
+1 Coffers per card you have gained this turn.
This makes excellent use of the phase flexibility. Looks fun and is unique overall. Love it!

Gambling Fool by BryGuy
If it is a Victory card, you may exchange a hand card for it. Choose one to gain: a card costing up to $1 +$1 per empty Supply pile more than the trashed card; or a Silver.
I like the gambling theme, and that you have a case accounting for when it hits a Victory card you need to keep. I suppose you might use this mid-Action phase if you have something that topdecks or peeks the top card but you're going to keep drawing, but overall this is a Night card. Still, seems fun enough and is creative/thematic.

Furious by Will(ow|iam)
Furious
Ally - Trait
This could be super fun to play with, tons of possibilities.

Cantrip by 4444

Since it always goes to your hand, this uses the phase flexibility in a different way: it's just always an option to play it once it's drawn. As others have mentioned, per card is a negligible price once you have payload (at any price, let alone as a $3-cost). I think the idea is pretty cool though, I would just turn up the play penalty to make it more of a decision whether you're going to play it.

Results
Winner: Wildman by segura
Runner up: Cantrip by 4444

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2023, 10:29:12 am »
+1

Thanks for the win. This was a cool card type and I hope we return to it in the future with hopefully more submissions.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.