Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Am I a slow player  (Read 699 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Am I a slow player
« on: May 12, 2023, 08:18:26 pm »

Someone on Dominion.games said something and it's gotten into my head. Do I have a reputation as a slow player? Do people recommend blocking me? I think more than likely this person was just trying to mess with me but I'm really worried about it now.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Am I a slow player
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 02:58:47 am »
+2

Not as far as I can tell.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +822
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 12:37:55 pm »
+3

What are "all the forums"? I guess there's here, BGG, Reddit, Discord... I don't frequent the other places, but I've definitely never seen anything like that here.

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +198
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 09:26:55 am »
+5

I think you can safely assume that the other player was trying to wind you up.  Had you just beaten them?

More generally I get the impression that some players think that taking more than about two seconds for any card play is slow.  Either they never engage their brain to ask themselves the question "Which is the correct order to play these cards?" or they're so good that it comes naturally to them.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 09:39:56 am »

More generally I get the impression that some players think that taking more than about two seconds for any card play is slow.

For 99.0-99.3% of card plays, I would say that's definitely correct. The main exceptions would be when your hand looks like it could dud and you have to maximize the chances that it doesn't, when there's gainer + overdraw shenanigans, and other such cases where doing it wrong could plausibly put you at least half a turn behind compared to where you would be if you had done it right. It's just not worth it to wear your brain out thinking about minor optimizations that aren't realistically going to affect the outcome of the game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.