Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Mechanics Week 59: Play now, Buy later  (Read 1022 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
Fan Mechanics Week 59: Play now, Buy later
« on: February 27, 2023, 02:22:40 pm »
+4

We got tokens (well, with Horses, kinda) for all vanilla effects except for Buys.
Well, technically it is not really a fan card mechanic as it was tested during Renaissance. But as we have virtually no information (except for two designs) I think it is OK to go down that road.

No limitations in any way, so cards and landscapes of any type are fine as are other fan card mechanics. Your design should just have something to do with Buy tokens in the broadest sense. That means if you want to do go down the Horse road and do a one-short Market Square or something similar that is also fine.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 02:27:59 pm by segura »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +173
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Mechanics Week 59: Play now, Buy later
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 08:48:18 pm »
+1

Jade
$5 Treasure - Duration
+1 Gopher
You may choose one: discard a Duchy for +$3; or discard a Province for +$2.
On your next turn, choose one: +$2; or +$2 per empty Supply pile.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 01:19:27 pm by BryGuy »

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +240
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 09:04:06 pm »
+2

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 09:34:25 pm »
+3

Here's my attempt- this is my first post here after I kept having issues logging in. Hope the embed works.
I didn't think "from the Spoils pile" was necessary as Pillage doesn't have that wording and the card was kinda long anyway.

Edit: some context for the card. The two mechanics on it have synergy in two ways. First, you can spend your Buy tokens to buy more treasures and get more Spoils, or you can hold on to the buy tokens until the Spoils come up and you have more money than you know what to do with. I'm really happy with how this one turned out.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 10:31:45 pm by Snorka »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 03:33:48 am »

We got tokens (well, with Horses, kinda) for all vanilla effects except for Buys.
Well, we do have Band of Nomads.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 04:50:44 pm »
+4

My Submission:

Packhorse • Action • $2
+2 Cards
+1 Action

When you discard this from play, return it to the Supply for +1 Stall.

I have actually tried some designs using a Buy token mechanic before (although before now I've never liked anything enough to post it). In those cases, I came up with the term "Stall" as a name for the token (as in market stalls).

My submission is Packhorse. It's a take on Horse/Experiment, functioning as a 1-shot +Card. Instead of giving 2 cards for 1 buy at $3 (as Experiment does), it effectively "refunds" the Buy a player (might have) used to get it, albeit not until quite a bit later. Unlike the originals, it doesn't return to its pile on-play (in order to delay getting the Stall token until a player can't use it that turn). This has the side effect of making it stronger when combined with Scheme (which can keep it from being a 1-shot), but weaker when combined with Conclave/Imp. It also means that throne variants don't get the player Extra Stalls.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 11:40:54 am »
+2

You can spend Workers* during your Buy phase for +1 Buy each. I was slightly worried that, unlike Coffers or Villagers, these would often just end up accruing, so I added a mechanism in the card to prevent that.

*so-called because Worker's Village = Village + Buy

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 07:32:17 am by Udzu »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 08:32:00 pm »
+1

Miners Lamp - $3
Treasure
If you have...
1 Buy remaining, +1 Worker and +$1.
2 or more Buys remaining, +$2.
5 or more Workers, -3 Workers and trash this to gain a Gold.

A conditional Silver that can grow into a Gold if you play it as a Ducat instead. Was going to price it at $2, but because it can be a Silver pretty easily, left it at $3. Went with Workers as the +Buy Tokens. I am under the impression you can spend the tokens while playing Treasures, so you can spend the first gained Worker to make any Miners Lamps played afterwards Silvers.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +183
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 12:57:14 am »
+2

Optimization
$4 Project
At the end of your buy phase, if you didn't gain any cards during it, +1 Worker and gain a Horse.

The complement to Exploration

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 04:02:47 pm »
+2

Jade - This is a mess. There is a cool idea in here, namely discarding a Duchy for Coins. But it needs to differ more (e.g. 4 Coins) from Provinces to really make you want to buy Duchies. 1 Coin more is not enough.

The Duration effect is unexciting. There needs to be a steeper step from 0 to 1 empty piles (I mean, for how many turns are two or more piles empty?). It is also not clear whether the Duration effects buffs or nerfs the card.

Renovate - This is better than Remake in three respects: non-mandatory trashing, up to 1 instead of precisely 1 and tokens instead of card gaining. That is simply too much (and also too automatic with Coppers and Curses). There is also the serious issues of Province milling which is far easier than e.g. with Transmogrify (you do not need several copies) and which could be amended via "differently named card costing...".

Strongbox - This is interesting. I am not a fan of "gain a Treasure to get a one-shot Treasure" but everything else about the card is pretty sweet. Also, nothing bonkers. We don't need another Rope or Tools.

Packhorse - You basically already pointed out everything. Not getting the token on play but on discard makes this shine.
Ride is a decent benchmark and as it is very weak (for $3 we get 2 cards via Experiment of Expedition) the card seems fine power-level wise.

Dollar - Pouch is weak but if it can hoard Buy tokens it has a right to exist. Are Buy tokens really that crazy that you have to limit it somehow? I am not sure, it could very well be the case, but I am not a fan of a limit. But perhaps I am misreading the card and it is just a scaling (1,1,1,5 Coins is on average 2) Silver?

Miners Lamp - Third token Pouch! I like the scaling here but not the blow-up option. Like with Dollar, that seems like a too severe punishment for token hoarding.

Optimization - This is a tricky one. I have a hard time to judge this but in Kingdoms without extra Buys this leads to interesting endgame decisions (do you waste a turn to get an extra Buy for DoubleProvince) so my hunch is that this is better than Exploration.

Winner:
emtzalex with Packhorse - Sweet and simple with a classical feel and a little twist that pushes it from boring/mechanical to brilliant.

Runner-Ups:
  • Udzu with Dollar - Not love on first sight but a Pouch that can also be used as a build-up payload card with an average Coin yield of Silver does feel right.
  • Will(ow|iam) with Optimization - Hey, it is like Exploration but better! How can this not be a gem.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 10:51:40 pm »

Packhorse - You basically already pointed out everything. Not getting the token on play but on discard makes this shine.
Ride is a decent benchmark and as it is very weak (for $3 we get 2 cards via Experiment of Expedition) the card seems fine power-level wise.
Winner:
emtzalex with Packhorse - Sweet and simple with a classical feel and a little twist that pushes it from boring/mechanical to brilliant.

Thanks segura, for the judging and the win.

I will try to get the next contest posted tonight.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.